In 2023, Thailand shifted away from cash just as Sweden asked to see it protected

webfact

One major issue with Thailand bank apps and all their electronic banking is that they do not guarantee that apps are 100% hack proof. They don't protect the consumer against unauthorized transactions. Even if it is the banks fault of an unauthorized transaction, as indicated in many news articles, the bank will take months to reimburse the victims.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

My Australian bank emailed me a couple weeks ago and said they will be removing the last remaining ATMs and going fully digital.

This comes after closing all their branches maybe a year ago.

I emailed them asking what am I supposed to do if I want to get some cash.

They replied saying there's no need to worry I can withdraw at no charge cash at the other "Big 4" banks ATMs so everything is normal, carry on. I asked them for how long that will be the case. Soon they will start implementing charges and soon after that they will go cashless too. If people allow these small encroachments it won't be long until it's cashless everywhere. This bank is the testing grounds before the other follow suit. They said they would register my complaint. They are testing the pushback but most people just moan about it but dont push back in any way.

Im one of the few people I know who still uses cash in Australia when im there. The supremely lazy population who considers it a chore to withdraw money from an ATM is too much hard work for the everyday Aussie who have learned absolutely nothing from the last few years. People are so brainwashed its gotten to the point in Australia that you're labeled a tinfoil hat merchant for wanting to use cash.

IMO there will still be ATM's around for people who want cash in OZ.

I think I can safely predict the big banks will charge for that service, as another profit stream. They don't do it on debit cards now, but IMO it is only a matter of time.

Cash in Australia is a mechanism for hiding assets from Centrelink, so it's no wonder the government would be in favor of cashless too.

On 4/6/2024 at 7:07 AM, spidermike007 said:

Nothing worse than standing in a line behind some guy or gal, fooling around with their phone trying to get the payment app to work so they can pay for a 20 or 40 baht item at 7-Eleven. Or an 80 baht coffee. There have been times I've been so frustrated with the four or five minutes that this person is fooling around with their phone that I pulled out 20 or 40 baht and handed it to them. Here, take it, pay for it move on please.

In my opinion real man always carry cash. I hope that digital currency never takes over. I love having a wad of cash in my pocket. Always have and always will. 

Here is the flip side to your case. Although payment apps like True Money, LINE Pay, and the few others in Thailand waste a lot of extra and unnecessary time, smartphone digital wallets are a huge time saver and are faster than paying in cash. 

With my phone's wallet, I can pay and be gone faster than you can get the cash out of your wallet. Like you, I often get annoyed when someone is fumbling through their wallet pulling out bills or counting coins when trying to pay the exact amount in cash. 

I started using my phone's digital wallet since the appearance of Covid as a way to stop touching all the filthy bank notes and coins that everyone passes around, which are also considered to be a possible spreader of viruses and bacteria. 

Now I have all my debit and credit cards loaded in my phone and all I need to do is move my phone close to any contactless credit/debit card reader to pay for things. So I can just pay contactless at all 7-11, hypermarts, supermarkets, department stores, restaurants, etc. No cash, no apps, no QR code scanning, no online banking apps, none of that. 

I can also go anywhere without a physical wallet now. So no cash and no wallet needed when I go outside, just my phone. Hygienic, fast, less stuff to carry around, and I have a record and payment evidence of all the money I spent, where and when, whenever I might need it. 

When you go to Europe, and even countries in Asia like Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and S. Korea where people now mainly pay contactless using their phone's digital wallet, you notice the big difference in speed. Payment transactions move much faster than in Thailand because they don't use cash, payment apps, or QR codes. Such a time saver.

I wish everyone would do the same already. The problem in Thailand though is that none of the bank debit cards, and only BBL and KTC credit cards, can be added to smartphone digital wallets. So it really limits the Thai population from moving away from those cr*appy payment apps and moving over to using fast, contactless payment wallets whenever they want to pay without using cash. So until Thailand moves forward on this technology, you will continue to see people in Thailand fumbling with apps that don't load and waiting for QR payment codes to be generated.

Some businesses in Thailand also don't want to pay fees when someone uses a debit card to pay. So you have all this scanning of QR codes into online banking apps to make instant cash payments like a debit card, but without resulting in any transaction fees to the vendor. Another slow and antiquated payment method, which hopefully goes away one day too. 

Edited by ABCDBKK

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO there will still be ATM's around for people who want cash in OZ.

I think I can safely predict the big banks will charge for that service, as another profit stream. They don't do it on debit cards now, but IMO it is only a matter of time.

Cash in Australia is a mechanism for hiding assets from Centrelink, so it's no wonder the government would be in favor of cashless too.

I can envision a time when one must pay for the privilege of using cash. Where does one get cash? At ATM's or branch offices, both of which cost banks money to maintain. 

There could come a time where there is a 5% fee in order the receive cash from an ATM or branch office. 

I know someone in the US running a business that generates a lot of cash, and his bank charges "excess cash deposit" fees on business account due to the extra expense of handling large quantities of cash.

I wonder how many advocates of cash usage will continue to resist cashless payments if paying via cash costs more.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Here is the flip side to your case. Although payment apps like True Money, LINE Pay and the few others in Thailand waste a lot extra unnecessary time, smartphone digital wallets are a huge time saver and are faster than paying in cash. 

With my phone's wallet, I can pay and be gone faster than you can get the cash out of your wallet. Like you, I often get annoyed when someone is going through their wallet pulling out bills or counting coins trying to pay the exact amount in cash. 

I started using my phone's digital wallet since the appearance of Covid as a way to stop touching all the filthy bank notes that everyone passes around, which are also considered to be a possible spreader of viruses and bacteria. 

Now I have all my debit and credit cards loaded in my phone and all I need to do is move my phone close to any contactless credit/debit card reader to pay for things. So I can just pay contactless at all 7-11, hypermarts, supermarkets, department stores, restaurants, etc. No cash, no apps, no QR code scanning, no online banking apps, none of that. 

I can also go anywhere without a physical wallet now. So no cash and no wallet needed when I go outside, just my phone. Hygienic, fast, less stuff to carry around, and I have a record and payment evidence of all the money I spent, where and when, and whenever I might need it. 

When you go to Europe, and even countries like Japan, where people now mainly pay contactlessly using their phone's digital wallet, you notice the difference in speed. Payment transactions move much faster than in Thailand because they don't use cash, apps or QR codes. Such a time saver.

I wish everyone would do the same already. The problem in Thailand though is that none of the bank debit cards, and only BBL and KTC credit cards, can be added to smartphone digital wallets. So it really limits the Thai population from moving away from those cr*appy payment apps and moving over to using the fast, contactless payment wallets when they want to pay without using cash. So until Thailand moves forward on this technology, you will continue to see people in Thailand fumbling with apps that don't load and waiting for QR payment codes to be generated.

Some businesses in Thailand also don't want to pay fees when someone uses a debit card to pay. So you have all this scanning of QR codes into online banking apps to make instant cash payments like a debit card, but without any transaction fees. Another slow and antiquated payment method which hopefully goes away one day too. 

I don't think QR Promptpay as a home grown solution without Visa and Mastercard taking the cut is going away, they even make it inteoperable with other banks in the region from Singapore to Korea now

There are no cheap way to 'receive' QR contactless cards yet whereas the cost for mom and pop stalls to receive QR payment is practically zero

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

I don't think QR Promptpay as a home grown solution without Visa and Mastercard taking the cut is going away, they even make it inteoperable with other banks in the region from Singapore to Korea now

There are no cheap way to 'receive' QR contactless cards yet whereas the cost for mom and pop stalls to receive QR payment is practically zero

Yes. That is a problem with the card networks like Visa and Mastercard insisting on taking a fee from small vendors if they accept debit card payments. TBH, I don't think credit card companies should charge the same fees to vendors on debit card payments as they do on credit card payments, but that's a separate issue.  

7 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

I can envision a time when one must pay for the privilege of using cash. Where does one get cash? At ATM's or branch offices, both of which cost banks money to maintain. 

There could come a time where there is a 5% fee in order the receive cash from an ATM or branch office. 

I know someone in the US running a business that generates a lot of cash, and his bank charges "excess cash deposit" fees on business account due to the extra expense of handling large quantities of cash.

I wonder how many advocates of cash usage will continue to resist cashless payments if paying via cash costs more.

There are already fees for receiving cash from a non-bank ATM.

IMO the person in the US who is getting a lot of cash should be shopping around for a new bank, and better terms.

Banks already make money from cash deposits, and the float. An excess cash deposit fee is simply greed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are already fees for receiving cash from a non-bank ATM.

IMO the person in the US who is getting a lot of cash should be shopping around for a new bank, and better terms.

Banks already make money from cash deposits, and the float. An excess cash deposit fee is simply greed.

I know fees can be avoided. My point is that handling cash is more expensive for banks than handling cashless transactions. 

I can see a day when they are therefore more expensive than cashless transactions and wonder how many would pay extra to continue using cash.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

I know fees can be avoided. My point is that handling cash is more expensive for banks than handling cashless transactions. 

I can see a day when they are therefore more expensive than cashless transactions and wonder how many would pay extra to continue using cash.

I don't disagree. Only 13% of Australians pay cash, compared with 66% in Thailand. Banks are closing down ATM's.

However, when one compares the bank interest spread for Australia vs Thailand, it's quite obvious Thai banks are less competitive.

IMO cash will still be around for some time yet, given the number of times I see Thais walking out of banks with satchels stuffed full of house brick-like 1000 baht notes.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ftpjtm said:

There's already service in Thailand where you can go to a 'Banking Agent' to withdraw money for 5% fee instead of the ATM, currently it's 7-11s and some Supermarkets

Banks like SCB has removed lots of their ATMs now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Can I borrow one of these million dollar credit cards?

Not one car but multiple cards totaling available credit of a million dollars. A dozen of them have more than $50,000 in credit limits. The maximum is 75K. I borrow $100,000 at 3% for one year and then invest in VOO. I have been doing that for almost 10 years. A cool 16–17K in profits before taxes just to keep those cards. I know one person who has 1200 cards and lives off of the income from his cards. I have 107 cards in the last count. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, sambum said:

Maybe you should have used the correct acronym ("PSYOP") in the first place , and explained what it stood for!

What you waffling on about? I did use the correct acronym, it was BritScot that used the incorrect one. Have you got nothing better to do?  

30 minutes ago, Conno said:

What you waffling on about? I did use the correct acronym, it was BritScot that used the incorrect one. Have you got nothing better to do?  

My apologies - mistaken identities! :sorry:

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

My apologies - mistaken identities! :sorry:

Forgiven. Now start using cash at every opportunity before it's too late :clap2:

Edited by Conno
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Conno said:

Forgiven. Now start using cash :clap2:

Always have - always will as long as I have a choice! Fed up of standing at checkouts while people are fiddling with phones and taking photos of a machine!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

Always have - always will as long as I have a choice! Fed up of standing at checkouts while people are fiddling with phones and taking photos of a machine!

Standing at checkouts while people fiddle with phones will be the least of our problems if people do a Covid and accept everything that is pushed on them. Anyway, thx for the apology, it's a rare thing to read on this forum lol. 

1 minute ago, Conno said:

Standing at checkouts while people fiddle with phones will be the least of our problems if people do a Covid and accept everything that is pushed on them. Anyway, thx for the apology, it's a rare thing to read on this forum lol. 

No plomplem! I'm also a Quizmaster (QM) and contrary to what other QM's say - the QM is not always right, and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it!

4 hours ago, Bravoxray said:

Exactly. Carstens is a real piece of ....work.  There are many others like him in the WEF/UN/WHO/EU/USG, etc. Once people are locked into the system by digital IDs, and spending behavioral scores, then linked into the CBDC, the people will be trapped, likely for the remainder of their lives.  Many people cannot see the foreseeable results of these linkages. At least one bank in Australia is now pushing to end cash completely. Electronic "cash" is not cash.  If depositors were aware of what can happen, they would remove their money and put it some place else to send the right message to the banks. 

If CBDCs are allowed to go forward, eventually no excuses will be needed to rob everyone of  their ability to freely conduct financial transactions. By this I mean if the behavior score goes below a certain level, accounts will be confiscated and people will not have any recourse. Many have now heard the words, "You will own nothing, and you will be happy". It really means that those who control the CBDCs will own the people, who will own nothing, and no one should believe the part about being happy. The clips in  this video say it all: Holy Crap! | 11 CLIPS of Yuval Noah Harari & Klaus Schwab Explaining the Entire Great Reset Agenda (bitchute.com)

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Dx4imFqRKygW/ 

The supreme irony is, we have trapped ourselves already.

I remember the fuss when the Australian government wanted to have a national ID card.

Said card is unnecessary now, we carry around something that can identify and locate us any time the government pleases. It's called a mobile phone.

It's why Islamic extremists don't use them.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, BigBruv said:

Thanks.

Seems the central bankers plan is...*WHEN* the next banking crisis happens, introduce CBDCs

Public will think "CBDC is safer - it's backed by the Govt/CB so I'll open a CBDC account"

After a while make Central Bank Digital Currencies the only option.

Then CBs/Govts will be able to see your spending: where, when, with whom - it'll all be recorded.  

And they won't need to have to deal with a bank as your account will be with the central authority.

Great thing for Govts and Central Bankers is that, with CBDCs, they'll be able to automatically set end enforce rules on our spending in terms of what, where, we can spend.

So, after a while, introduce and automatically enforce rules on our spending

(where we can spend, what we can spend on, who with and so on) -

justify by saying:

"it's for the environment, you do care about the environment don't you?" or

"It's for your health" or

"It's for the greater good"

"It's for the war in..."

or any other excuse they can justify....

If there's a crisis, Govt/CBs can just take the money from our accounts to 'solve the crisis'.

Here's a longer video where the Head of the BIS (Central Bank of Central Banks) explains the plan:

https://www.pymnts.com/cash/2024/swedens-central-bank-proposes-rules-to-facilitate-use-of-cash/

I fully agree with your assessment of slowly sliding into a dystopian future.

Fortunately, there are some exceptions to the rule - see above.

Even more remarkable considering Sweden is an almost cashless society now with 99% of all transaction cashless one way or another.

Another positive side of getting the vast majority of people embracing the fantastic tech (nobody wants to be seen as a technophobe) and unwittingly assisting the banks in saving the cost of maintaining branches, ATM's and having their storefront workforce decimated. 

Positive for people holding and/or accumulating corresponding stock, cashing in on fat dividends😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Not one car but multiple cards totaling available credit of a million dollars. A dozen of them have more than $50,000 in credit limits. The maximum is 75K. I borrow $100,000 at 3% for one year and then invest in VOO. I have been doing that for almost 10 years. A cool 16–17K in profits before taxes just to keep those cards. I know one person who has 1200 cards and lives off of the income from his cards. I have 107 cards in the last 

Ahhhh - better than growing money trees in the backyard.

2 questions:

Why is not everybody doing it? 

When did you last check your credits core? A million+ dollars available credit (unsecured) and counting ......... nothing further

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:49 PM, lordgrinz said:

Not sure I would even leave the house with only 50-100 baht, I want at least a thousand and more like 3 thousand, just in case.

Oh for sure...never know when that ordinary massage may head for a sparkling twist & turn! 😁

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The supreme irony is, we have trapped ourselves already.

I remember the fuss when the Australian government wanted to have a national ID card.

Said card is unnecessary now, we carry around something that can identify and locate us any time the government pleases. It's called a mobile phone.

It's why Islamic extremists don't use them.

Along with a lot of old faxrts on this forum.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2