How to satisfy income letter requirement for Non-O, using Embassy in Vientiane

19 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No and I have never suggested that I do. I rely on reports.

Let’s continue with Udon immigration office. Do know what that office requires to satisfy income method?

Your advice in this thread has been poor.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Liquorice said:

2. For extensions based on retirement, Thai Immigration only accept income from pensions, investments, or dividends .......................... not from employment.

This statement is misleading.  AFAIK, Immigration doesn't know or care about the source of the funds that a retiree transfers each month to Thailand to meet Immigration's financial requirements.  Many here on retirement extensions just use the appropriate Wise reason to get transfers encoded as foreign sourced.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

AFAIK, Immigration doesn't know or care about the source of the funds that a retiree transfers each month to Thailand to meet Immigration's financial requirements

While there are immigration offices that just want to see the requured funds transferred every month on relatively consistent date, there are many offices that will also require proof coming from some sort of "pension"

For example rental income not acceptable. 

The old TIT applies and folk should consult their individal immigration office. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The old TIT applies and folk should consult their individal immigration office. 

Yes, this is the most important advice for those applying for extensions, especially their first one.

2 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Yes, this is the most important advice for those applying for extensions, especially their first one.

It would be a long (embarrassing) list of examples of various immigration offices having rogue rules. 

I am interested in specific information regarding the Udon office and their [perhaps unique?] requirements, as that's the town where my kids go to school and where I would likely reside, should I get through all the red tape.

39 minutes ago, ThunderRd said:

I am interested in specific information regarding the Udon office and their [perhaps unique?] requirements, as that's the town where my kids go to school and where I would likely reside, should I get through all the red tape.

Udon office do not require that your verified overseas income is anything but overseas income. They accept Wise transfers to a very few banks as proof, Bangkok bank is the only guaranteed bank as these Wise transfers are coded as international if you request Wise to designate them as for immigration purposes, there are 2 other banks that are OK but I don’t have direct information about them.

This information is from first hand reports and experience of using the office. The staff are generally helpful and there are few, if any, esoteric requirements.

there is a thriving local forum, if you add the words udon map com in the correct configuration you will find it, it is certainly smaller than this forum but more relevant for those in the northeast 

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

This statement is misleading. 

2.22 In the case of retirement:
3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends;

138-2557 (2014) Docs for extensions - ENG.pdf

I can only quote Immigration orders and not what any specific Immigration office may or may not check.

Needless to add, at my IO, one particular officer may not request proof, whilst another will regularly request evidence the income is pension based.

Whether you agree or not, it's better to be informed and aware, then the decision is yours to make.

On 4/6/2024 at 7:24 PM, ThunderRd said:

I live in Laos and am considering a change to Thailand.  I've looked at the requirements for a Non-O, 90-day visa at the Embassy in Vientiane, near where I live.

I had similar questions and tried the Vientiane consulate phone number and no one ever answered from 3 days of trying. Then I emailed them here and they replied within the hour:

consular.vte(at)mfa.go.th

Beware of hidden requirements not posted on the websites. 

50 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Such as?

Example: Evidence of funds must show transferred from overseas. Copies of rental agreement. Copy of landlord tabien baan. Hand drawn map of where you live, etc., etc.  These are a few of what is never listed on "official" websites. It depends on the specific immigration office. It is a good idea to contact the local office and know what they want before you get there.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:46 AM, Liquorice said:

I think you'd have to inform the Thai Embassy that you are a US citizen and your Embassy no longer issues the Income letter, but you can provide 12 Thai bank statements detailing over 65K THB monthly transfers and see if that would be acceptable.

For the 1 year extension of stay permits from Thai Immigration, they will accept evidence of overseas monthly transfers 12 x 65K THB.
The transfers must be coded as 'International' transfers, and they may request proof of the source of income.

Not sure about the Thai embassy in Vientiane but Immigrations at Chaeng Wattana will not accept the THB 65,000+ 12 monthly deposits to issue the 90 day Non-O; they will only accept THB 800,000+ in a Thai bank.  Chaeng Wattana will accept either for the one year extension but not for the 3 month Non-O.

The Op asked a simple question.

And some answer to the best of there ability and often correctly and others go off on there one tangent, make no sense and confuse the issue.

Always very annoying.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:46 PM, Liquorice said:

I think you'd have to inform the Thai Embassy that you are a US citizen and your Embassy no longer issues the Income letter, but you can provide 12 Thai bank statements detailing over 65K THB monthly transfers and see if that would be acceptable.

For the 1 year extension of stay permits from Thai Immigration, they will accept evidence of overseas monthly transfers 12 x 65K THB.
The transfers must be coded as 'International' transfers, and they may request proof of the source of income.

I used to provide proof of income with statements from govt office sending the pension funds but the past couple of years, they don't want any foreign reports, only the Bank letters about deposits, owner of acct etc. for the yearly extension.  But TIT and who knows what they will accept unless you can talk directly to the IO there and ask what exactly will be needed since the US EMbassy and 2 others no longer provide income letters as they used to.