Briton critically injured after impaling himself on iron fence

george

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well, in this case a house proved less risky than trying to get in from next door's balcony in a high condo. 

I can't criticise this guy. I remember when I was in the Brit Army in Hong Kong in the late 1960s the wife and I locking ourselves out of our 12th floor flat. We were struggling a bit for cash in those days, so rather than pay someone to gain access, I climbed down from my friend's flat above to our balcony, the door of which was always unlocked. I did take the precaution of tying a rope to his railings and around my waist. After climbing onto dock roofs when I was a kid in Liverpool, I had a good apprenticeship for tasks like this.

Hope this guy has a speedy recovery.

Edited by jesimps

3 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I can't criticise this guy. I remember when I was in the Brit Army in Hong Kong in the late 1960s the wife and I locking ourselves out of our 12th floor flat. We were struggling a bit for cash in those days, so rather than pay someone to gain access, I climbed down from my friend's flat above to our balcony, the door of which was always unlocked. I did take the precaution of tying a rope to his railings and around my waist. After climbing onto dock roofs when I was a kid in Liverpool, I had a good apprenticeship for tasks like this.

Hope this guy has a speedy recovery.

Kowloon Tong Ping Fong? 

Pilgrims Rest? 

I visited there in the mid 80s.  Kiwi based in Singapore and managed a few trips.  Chunking Mansion for really hot curries. 

Great times! 

5 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

The behavour of drunks has been historicaly predictable and feel sorry for the guy, but whats with all the foreigners making mostly disruptive news in Thailand lately?

The press controls the narrative (influence from those higher), same as in every country.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

The behavour of drunks has been historicaly predictable and feel sorry for the guy, but whats with all the foreigners making mostly disruptive news in Thailand lately?

Foreigners are the most reported only because you're reading foreigner-centric media, that's all.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Perhaps the topic should be closed and the earlier sometimes cruel and speculative remarks be deleted out of respect for his survivors.  

Why?  That is not the normal procedure here where cruel, speculative comments are par for the course and are always allowed to be seen.  Perhaps you should just report the individual comments that bother you if they're contravening forum rules.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Moderator:  As it is being reported on the local news, this person succumbed to his injuries.  

Perhaps the topic should be closed and the earlier sometimes cruel and speculative remarks be deleted out of respect for his survivors.  

Well, no, then it'd have to done for Russians, Chinese, and Thais. Turn off too many of our lads here.

• Agree 1

A post with an audio file has been removed, if you are posting such content, please provide a link to its source, or it will be removed.

Thanks

2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:
14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Secrete a spare gate key

er...just wondering...from which cell, gland or organ do you secrete your spare keys from?

Er...just wondering...don't you know that "secrete" means "hide"?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

er...you were saying...

se·crete1

/səˈkrēt/

verb

verb: secrete; 3rd person present: secretes; past tense: secreted; past participle: secreted; gerund or present participle: secreting

(of a cell, gland, or organ) produce and discharge (a substance).

You with obvious spelling challenges born of being a Brit are quite possibly thinking of "Secret"

Edited by mrwebb8825
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

er...you were saying...

se·crete1

/səˈkrēt/

verb

verb: secrete; 3rd person present: secretes; past tense: secreted; past participle: secreted; gerund or present participle: secreting

You with obvious spelling challenges born of being a Brit are quite possibly thinking of "Secret"

secrete
/sɪˈkriːt/

verb

• 1.conceal; hide:
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, parallelman said:

Yes, a six inch deep wound  is enough to pierce organs. Whatever his condition when climbing that injury has got to hurt a lot. Hope he survives.

I only saw later in the day, on another news report the poor guy had died. Had me looking at the spikes on my fence...... the ones on the street side fence would be unlikely to puncture, but my neighbour put some on our shared wall that could do a nasty job. 

What a tragic end.....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

er...just wondering...from which cell, gland or organ do you secrete your spare keys from? :unsure:

Front right pocket....

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

er...you were saying...

se·crete1

/səˈkrēt/

verb

No, there's nothing wrong with my spelling, nor my thinking...

"se·crete

/səˈkrēt/

verb

verb: secrete; 3rd person present: secretes; past tense: secreted; past participle: secreted; gerund or present participle: secreting

conceal; hide.

"the assets had been secreted in Swiss bank accounts"

Perfect example of why you need to be careful in Thailand. Watch where you walk, avoid loose dangling wires, keep an eye out for crumbling concrete, and never mind safety standards. These spiked fences would make their owner liable I'm guessing in a lot of countries. But here it's up to you to look out for yourself. Same thing with the 80cm rails on balconies.

• Agree 1

On 4/8/2024 at 5:39 AM, spidermike007 said:

I've climbed over many a fence in my day, but never one with sharp iron arrows pointing upwards, neither have I attempted to scale fences with lots of barbed wire nor walls with jagged glass. There are some things in life you just avoid, you can't get into your house you just figure something else out. You figure out an alternative, you use your survival skills to remain alive and well in this life.

This guy sounds like he may have been slightly dim, or very drunk, neither of which is good for the honing of survival instincts. 

He was probably both very drunk and not a lot going on up top.

On 4/8/2024 at 6:29 AM, Jing Joe said:

They're not reporting any news about Thais!