Using a wok on induction hobs?

I have a new kitchen with induction hobs. The surface is flat glass.

My gf is used to cook with a wok up country with gas or the little charcoal things. And she is used to cooking with pans and pots on ordinary electric hobs.

Now it's time to buy some new pans, and maybe a wok, for the new induction hobs.

Do "you" use a wok with induction hobs? Maybe with a frame, see picture? Or do you use a pan?

I saw on pictures that there are special induction hobs for woks, but I don't intend to buy one of those.

Does this make sense?

wok_adaptor_induction_ring_1642318584_6d

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your input.

I guess next time when we are in a department store with pot and pans and woks, we have a closer look at what's available.

I use a wok on my induction cooker plate and the wok does have a flat area which is sufficient for cooking the contents therein.........but as others have said, I use the little portable gas stove on my balcony when cooking anything substantial (like chilli con carne, then finish it off in the slow cooker).

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Need to get the GF out of the habit of constantly moving the wok, or the cooker is going to scratch up to all hell.   Think I would invest in a small gas burner if she's hell bent on cooking with a wok all the time.   It's going to be a hard habit to break.  Good luck with that one.

Separate burner for the wok shaker is a good call.  Wish I'd done this. 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your input.

I guess next time when we are in a department store with pot and pans and woks, we have a closer look at what's available.

Pot/Pan packaging now has a symbol (squiggly in a separate box) for Induction friendly if you go that route, but really risk the new surface getting scratched up pretty good. 

Our solution was to add a second small "Thai" kitchen outside and opposite our indoor kitchen.  It includes a two burner gas portable which is perfect for high temp wok cooking and avoids having indoors the eye watering smell of cooking a large amount of Thai chilis.   Bamboo and some stinky small fishes are also on the outdoor only list.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Expat4life66 said:

Pot/Pan packaging now has a symbol (squiggly in a separate box) for Induction friendly if you go that route, but really risk the new surface getting scratched up pretty good. 

Our solution was to add a second small "Thai" kitchen outside and opposite our indoor kitchen.  It includes a two burner gas portable which is perfect for high temp wok cooking and avoids having indoors the eye watering smell of cooking a large amount of Thai chilis.   Bamboo and some stinky small fishes are also on the outdoor only list.  

I agree 100% re those stinky fish.  They fair pong. 

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Need to get the GF out of the habit of constantly moving the wok, or the cooker is going to scratch up to all hell.   Think I would invest in a small gas burner if she's hell bent on cooking with a wok all the time.   It's going to be a hard habit to break.  Good luck with that one.

I would agree.  Wok cooking is intended to be done on high heat and  can be a bit messy. Separate gas would be a better option.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks again for more comments.

I live in a high-rise condominium. No gas, no outside cooking.

At least we have a high-power hood and a kitchen with a door. So, smell is not an issue.

My gf cooked Thai food since years with pots and pans on regular electric hobs.

I guess a flat bottom wok and a pan with high sides is pretty much the same. But please correct me if I am wrong.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do "you" use a wok with induction hobs?

My wife uses a Wok on our induction stove.  You need special induction pans,pots,and woks.  Get good ones.

Contrary to some, induction can produce intense heat for very good results using a wok made for induction hobs.

However it won't be as good as those flame throwing gas stoves you see on the food network.

Good for you on getting one!

Enjoy!

You"lk find good deals on Lazada mall for induction cookware or sales at the mall to slowly build up your cooking arsenal.

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

You"lk find good deals on Lazada mall for induction cookware or sales at the mall to slowly build up your cooking arsenal.

Yes. And in general it seems sets of pots and pans are significantly cheaper compared to the sum of the single item prices. 

wife had an electric wok in USA and it did the job and got beat to hell an back. She even took it camping as the camp sites had AC plug.

Had to smile about comments on chilies and stinky unknowns waifing through the house.. Comes with the territory... 

Edited by yankyoakum
spelling

54 minutes ago, yankyoakum said:

Had to smile about comments on chilies and stinky unknowns waifing through the house.. Comes with the territory... 

It depends.

In my previous apartment, without door to the kitchen and no working hood, I had the agreement with my gf that she only does the extreme smelly cooking when I am away for a few hours. 

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's why woks are made that shape. To move around. As a chef there is only one cooking method ands that's gas every time 

• Like 1

My gf is used to cook with a wok up country with gas or the little charcoal things. And she is used to cooking with pans and pots on ordinary electric hobs.

Now it's time to buy some new pans, and maybe a wok, for the new induction hobs.

Do "you" use a wok with induction hobs? Maybe with a frame, see picture? Or do you use a pan?

I saw on pictures that there are special induction hobs for woks, but I don't intend to buy one of those.

Does this make sense?

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

•  
  •  
  •  

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

•  
  •  
  •  

Does this make sense?

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

•  
  •  
  •  

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

•  
  •  
  •  

On the bottom good makers engrave what you can use the cooking ware for. We too installed a brand new western kitchen. All new including pots and pans. Even Makro offers good German stuff. A pan around 800 Baht. The wok we ordered from Lazada. The best are the cast iron ones. A bit pricey, but durable and easy to clean. 🙏 Enjoy your kitchen

On 4/10/2024 at 10:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Does this make sense?

I used a couple of special induction wok hobs and they weren't much better than a regular induction hob. 

The type of wok is the key here. 

Metal too thin it will warp.

Flat bottom wok is best as you want the bottom having good contact.

Gaggenau make a wok specicially for their burner but i threw it in the bin.

Im using one flat bottomed non stick one in my job now that did a good job today but i think its a cheapo one.

Anolon are decent mid range.

Woll were the most resilient non stick induction cookware i ever used.

As for regular woks without teflon my experience is the work but without the flat bottom they dont work well.

Congratulations! I love induction hobs. Look sleek. Easy to clean. Instant cooking just like gas, come with individual ring timers which turn off the plates at the end of countdown which I find useful when multitasking. The plate areas do not themselves generate heat they induce heat in the pan/wok. That's physics! Although will get hot from the hot pan on them. Only drawback I think is that they scratch fairly easily so do not scour or scrape the hob if food gets stuck there. Soften with a damp cloth for a while. Inevitably eventually the ring areas will show signs of use but I mean in a few years. Still work fine. Mine is 7 years old now 

A flat bottomed steel wok works just fine. I bought a cheap Chinese medium  guage steel wok with a wooden handle years ago, before the induction hobs existed. Just need to keep it clean and very lightly oiled when not in use to prevent it rusting. Other metals may not work, a cast iron griddle pan does, but certainly not aluminium cookware. Not sure the support ring you show would work. Is it designed for induction  hobs? There needs to be direct contact between ring and wok. 

Hope your good lady gets the hang of it if you don't do the cooking yourself.