Heat Exhaustion or Heat Stroke

Just now, rexpotter said:

Especially after heat exhaustion which include often diahrea when all the good stuff has been flushed out. You can die from drinking too much water in that case. I already stated clearly that an IV contains many things of which you mentioned a few to treat it.  Global Moderator know it all.

Maybe you should ban me now. That's what angry women often do in these instances.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Electrolytes is just another word for salt. It’s really just a marketing ploy whenever you see the word. Anyway.. as I said, eat a som o if you want to hydrate well. Then you don’t have to even worry about all this electrolyte nonsense. You can also squeeze some som o or lemon into a bottle of water. My advice is to drink slowly. Sip. All the things we’ve been taught are wrong. If you notice what we’ve been taught (drink as much water as you possibly can; you can never drink too much water) all lines up with corporate agenda. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Tim noakes wrote an entire book on this topic. Called waterlogged. I advise people to read the cliff notes. Again, everything we’ve been fed our entire lives is a lie. Electrolytes is just marketing bs. Don’t fall for any of it. 

• Agree 1

Sheryj I over reacted last night. Apologies. I had severe heat stroke and dealt with the after effects for years. I was often unable to keep healthy guy bacteria afterwards and realized that I could not drink too much water especially after diahrea and all the good gut stuff gone. I had to do yogurt and easy on the water though I thought I needed massive amounts. It takes a very long time to recover your intestinal system to normal.

The entire expereince was very confusing.

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Tim noakes wrote an entire book on this topic. Called waterlogged. I advise people to read the cliff notes. Again, everything we’ve been fed our entire lives is a lie. Electrolytes is just marketing bs. Don’t fall for any of it. 

That's true and sad, all BS to keep us ill and buying drugs.

Just now, rexpotter said:

Television has been a master device of deception and control worldwide since its inception 1960 circa, especially for health.  Over here people think they are watching a movie, well kind of. But really you are being trained to do and believe what is right and wrong and do what they want, like you need to see your doctor is always the answer.They have paid shills on all medical forums who pretend to be real innocent kind folk who tried this and that and then even will give bad advice, it always ends with you have to 'Go See Your Doctor'.

I trust very few who claim to be a medical experts especially around here.

38C+ here now in our area of CM. Turned on the AC set for 27C and having a lie down.

I was used to hotter in AZ, but that was a few years and a couple of medical emergencies ago.

Not quite ready to shuffle off to Buffalo or elsewhere.🙂

On 4/13/2024 at 7:57 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Here are two valuable articles addressing issues concerning hydration and electrolyte balance in athletes training or competing in high-heat environments.

As I think I mentioned, my Soy Sauce solution is quite good for replacing what is most often lost through sweating, i.e. sodium.

Still, there is much more to the story than this.

For example, for races or exercise lasting less than 30 minutes, hydration during the exercise period will probably not have much effect during this short time period.

In addition, plain tap water, bottled in gallon jugs, to carry aboard one's gig, is good enough...UNLESS....one is rowing for 4 or 5 hours, as I was wont to do, in the rivers behind and below Naples FL.  (If, as I found out, you plan to do any continuous and strenuous workout, such as rowing for 5 hours, from 11:00AM to 4:00PM, on the hottest days that South FL can dish out, then....yes....you might need to resort to replacing lost electrolytes, or face resultant consequences.  But, this eventuality is also discussed in these two articles.  I enjoy strenuous activities during the hottest part of the day, unless the temps get above 37.  I enjoy the feeling of sweat pouring off me, from my head to my thighs, ...don't know why.  Two good articles here, though.)

https://extension.usu.edu/nutrition/research/maintaining-hydration-a-guide-for-endurance-runners#:~:text=Being well hydrated is essential,of electrolytes within our bodies.

image.png.ecf86f149c2547d24627cf44314958db.png

https://www.nyrr.org/run/photos-and-stories/2019/should-i-take-salt-during-a-marathon#:~:text=When running long distances%2C like,but to a lesser extent).

image.png.03a100648eb0121e6706102d1e6e3184.png

So yes...

Watch out for hyponatremia, as I should have, if you plan to row 5 hours in the noon-day sun in South FL....

Anyone running a marathon in this heat has a mental problem and deserves a heatstroke.

• Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:14 PM, Robert Paulson said:

I’ve actually looked into this hydration topic a lot because I end up spending time out at sea and I want to be as efficient as possible. Anyway…. I’ve concluded that drinking water isn’t even that good. Sure drink a little that is not going to hurt. But what you do is bring a fruit. I find here in Thailand a som o is the absolute perfect way to drink or as people say, “hydrate”. Drinking gobs of water is how fools “hydrate”. But hey to each their own that’s the system I found worked both on paper and in practice. 

I love Som O..but...
I would probably not bring a fruit on my boat.

On 4/14/2024 at 8:24 AM, rexpotter said:

As I stated:

a. Soy sauce is cheap and tasty

b. Soy sauce is effective in replacing sodium lost through excessive sweating during physical exertion which lasts for more than an hour, or so.

c. I have never felt the need to resort to those "power drinks", or electrolyte drinks, except just once when I had nothing else available.

34 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Anyone running a marathon in this heat has a mental problem and deserves a heatstroke.

Thanks for your support. I must have had this mental problem a long time, and it's getting worse.

Wife and I are both runners but not full marathons, most events begin 5-6am or after sunset, most recent 30 Mar we traveled to Trat for an 8.30pm night run. Still warm, mid 30s. We have two early morning plus one night run coming up.

Monday cycled 108km up to Rayong 4hr 9min 10am start, temp varied 40-44C. Just keep moving, fluid intake was 4.4 litres. Not dead just yet.

On 4/14/2024 at 6:22 AM, Robert Paulson said:

Terms like Electrolytes and marketing are new but the message isn't.

Before the US got a whiff of the oil, the middle east was controlled by UK forces and those of us that done time there are well aware of the need for salt tablets, and the dreaded liquid chalk.

Any condition arising from a lack of salt could be seen as self inflicted injury, no excuse, there were bowls of salt tablets on all the dining tables. I followed the guidance and never had a problem but knew many that thought they knew better and suffered as a result.

3 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Thanks for your support. I must have had this mental problem a long time, and it's getting worse.

Wife and I are both runners but not full marathons, most events begin 5-6am or after sunset, most recent 30 Mar we traveled to Trat for an 8.30pm night run. Still warm, mid 30s. We have two early morning plus one night run coming up.

Monday cycled 108km up to Rayong 4hr 9min 10am start, temp varied 40-44C. Just keep moving, fluid intake was 4.4 litres. Not dead just yet.

I'm just jealous, if I do anything at all I walk 2 or 3 km around the lake here, at 76 running seems to me to be an exaggeration. I'm actually quite fit and slim and will climb on the roof to clear rain gutters, cut the grass etc, play with grand kids but there has to be a reason for my activities, the lure of a computer and air con are hard to resist. My brother is a keep fit fanatic at 70, mountain bike and sailing, 6 months ago he broke his neck biking but survived, my father did a lot of sailing and heavy gardening, his third heart attack killed him. At my age I see no point in being the fittest corpse in the crematorium. One has to enjoy what one does, if running is your thing go for it, my earlier post was tongue in cheek, no offense intended. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I'm just jealous, if I do anything at all I walk 2 or 3 km around the lake here, at 76 running seems to me to be an exaggeration. I'm actually quite fit and slim and will climb on the roof to clear rain gutters, cut the grass etc, play with grand kids but there has to be a reason for my activities, the lure of a computer and air con are hard to resist. My brother is a keep fit fanatic at 70, mountain bike and sailing, 6 months ago he broke his neck biking but survived, my father did a lot of sailing and heavy gardening, his third heart attack killed him. At my age I see no point in being the fittest corpse in the crematorium. One has to enjoy what one does, if running is your thing go for it, my earlier post was tongue in cheek, no offense intended. 

Get a stationary rower, fantastic training. 15 min every second day will give great results

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.nMRJW

Edited by Hummin

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Get a stationary rower, fantastic training. 15 min every second day will give great results

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.nMRJW

results for what? I am lucky with my genes, never ever had any health problems despite my smoking, everybody else I know in my age group or younger suffers from some age related problem or other, knees, back aches, arthritis etc while desperately clinging on to their 'youth' with diets and exercise, I continually surprise myself, waiting for aches and pains that never come, I am still stronger than my 16 year old son.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

results for what? I am lucky with my genes, never ever had any health problems despite my smoking, everybody else I know in my age group or younger suffers from some age related problem or other, knees, back aches, arthritis etc while desperately clinging on to their 'youth' with diets and exercise, I continually surprise myself, waiting for aches and pains that never come, I am still stronger than my 16 year old son.

Good for you, and sorry for your son