Does self check-in negate need for onward flight?

I just did self check-in with a one-way ticket on Singapore Airlines (Brisbane to Bangkok).

I only had to scan my passport ID page and say "no" to carrying dangerous goods and it printed boarding passes and baggage tags.

I never spoke to a single staff member and kiosk did not ask if I had a visa or an onward flight.

As we are aware the risk of no onward flight lies with the airlines as immigration would rarely ask for it. However if we never have to speak to airline check-in staff, then what's the risk?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

I just did self check-in with a one-way ticket on Singapore Airlines (Brisbane to Bangkok).

I only had to scan my passport ID page and say "no" to carrying dangerous goods and it printed boarding passes and baggage tags.

I never spoke to a single staff member and kiosk did not ask if I had a visa or an onward flight.

As we are aware the risk of no onward flight lies with the airlines as immigration would rarely ask for it. However if we never have to speak to airline check-in staff, then what's the risk?

And... what's your point... so far you sidestepped the system... let us know how it goes on arrival... ?

• Confused 7

29 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And... what's your point... so far you sidestepped the system... let us know how it goes on arrival... ?

I havent sidestepped the system, my point is that the new system does not involve talking to a check-in staff or showing an onward flight. So only way to be picked up is by arrival immigration, which never ask (unless there's some other problem)

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

I havent sidestepped the system, my point is that the new system does not involve talking to a check-in staff or showing an onward flight. So only way to be picked up is by arrival immigration, which never ask (unless there's some other problem)

Let us know if they ask... 

I have flown from Singapore to Chiang Mai 

and BKK many times, One way tickets.

Never asked a thing by airline staff. 

Either mobile self check in, at the automated kiosk, or in person. 

One time I was summoned to see a ticket agent  by the Scoot Kiosk

One letter on my name was incorrect. No "onward ticket" rubbish

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

then what's the risk?

Negligible.

I guess there's a chance you'll get asked in SIN (at the departure gate) for the final sector (SIN-BKK).

But I suspect SQ has refined their OLCI/kiosk self-check-in procedures, and that there was no need to refer you to an agent (check-in desk) at BNE, based on your passport/travel record-history.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I have flown from Singapore to Chiang Mai 

and BKK one way tickets. Never asked a thing by airline staff. 

Either mobile self check in, at the automated kiosk, or in person. 

Must be the airline. When checking-in for flight TG925 Munich to Bangkok I was asked to produce documentation at the check-in desk. I told them I had a Retirement Extension. They looked at me and said 'We need to SEE it!'

32 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Recently flew Detroit to BKK (was a return flight no onward ticket) did the online check-in.. print out ticket at kiosk etc etc.

At baggage drop they most certainly wanted to see a visa or onward ticket.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

But I suspect SQ has refined their OLCI/kiosk self-check-in procedures, and that there was no need to refer you to an agent (check-in desk) at BNE, based on your passport/travel record-history.

How would SQ know my passport travel history? I scanned my pp ID page only and I could have flown on many airlines. SQ self check-in kiosk simply does not care about visa or onward flight.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

How would SQ know my passport travel history? I scanned my pp ID page only and I could have flown on many airlines. Self check?-in kiosk simply does not care about visa or onward flight.

APIS. Advance Passenger Information System

Have you arrived in Thailand?

Do/did you have proof of onward travel, assuming it is required.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

There were no staff at baggage drop for me. It's all self loaded at SQ

If you have any issue the Kiosk will instruct you to see an agent.

One time I got gigged by the Scoot machine. Turns out I had one letter on my name wrong.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

If you have any issue the Kiosk will instruct you to see an agent.

One time I got gigged by the Scoot machine. Turns out I had one letter on my name wrong.

Well I had a one-way ticket and no onward flight but kiosk didn't think it was an issue

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Been flying to Thailand for 26 years never ever once asked by Thai immigration for onward ticket.

In practice ostly an airline check-in thing. I only fly to Thailand from Asian airports where it appears to be less enforced

I do not comment on Munich, "Englund", or Cindy-Lou  at Delta airlines in Hot Springs Arkansas airport.

• Confused 3
  • Love It 2

I flew a couple of months ago and before buying a plane ticket I asked the airline live agent for information if it was necessary to buy an onward flight too! they told me that they did not interest to ask for a return ticket or onward flight. I bought it anyway, just in case, paid it just 12 USD. When I arrived at the check in counter(I checked in online too) the staff didn't ask me for it, also the immigration officer at the airport in Bangkok didn't ask for it

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

my point is that the new system does not involve talking to a check-in staff or showing an onward flight.

You have only started into the system with online check in.  You are not yet through the hoops to get boarded. Right?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Been flying to Thailand for 26 years never ever once asked by Thai immigration for onward ticket.

In practice ostly an airline check-in thing. I only fly to Thailand from Asian airports where it appears to be less enforced

I do not comment on Munich, "Englund", or Cindy-Lou  at Delta airlines in Hot Springs Arkansas airport.

yes , Its the airlines that are generally the issue for checking for onward ticket based on APIS and IATA software that shows them the destination country regulations as they must pay for the return flight if they disregard the regs and you are denied entry. Immigration very seldom will ask unless you have some other issue that they stop you for on entry, 

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

You have only started into the system with online check in.  You are not yet through the hoops to get boarded. Right?

I'm at 36,000 feet. Only SQ staff I spoke to was to order a beer 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

There were no staff at baggage drop for me. It's all self loaded at SQ

SQ ?.

Yeah was staff at baggage drop both ends... BKK to DTW return.

Got asked both directions for proof of visa.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Definitely. There can be quite a few airline staff at the departure gate. They arrive well before time. You hear passengers names being called. A lot more goes on at the gate than simply checking boarding passes to passports.   

14 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well I had a one-way ticket and no onward flight but kiosk didn't think it was an issue

Correct. There is no need for human interaction when flying from SIN to Thailand on Scoot or SQ over the past few years.

As things seem to be getting worse every day maybe that will change.

You do not even need paper boarding passes  which supposedly are "required" at the inbound immigration counter in Thailand.

Nonsense

My boarding pass is on my mobile. If a paper boarding pass is ever foisted on me by an agent I throw it away. 

IMG_3284.jpeg

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Definitely. There can be quite a few airline staff at the departure gate. They arrive well before time. You hear passengers names being called. A lot more goes on at the gate than simply checking boarding passes to passports.   

When flying back with another airline (I often do) I have been asked a few times, or had to show them my visa

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

I flew a couple of months ago and before buying a plane ticket I asked the airline live agent for information if it was necessary to buy an onward flight too! they told me that they did not interest to ask for a return ticket or onward flight. I bought it anyway, just in case, paid it just 12 USD. When I arrived at the check in counter(I checked in online too) the staff didn't ask me for it, also the immigration officer at the airport in Bangkok didn't ask for it

Yes, as you can buy and onward-flight ticket reservation for approx 12 US $, it's not worth the risk of being denied boarding (or heaven forbid being denied entering Thailand on arrival). 

I use and advise friends to make use of https://onwardticket.com/ when they fly to Thailand VisaExempt on a one-way flight without Visa or Re-Entry Permit (or when their return-flight is more than 30 days after arrival in Thailand).

Edited by Red Phoenix

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You risk being denied bording without a return ticket

I think the OP is currently airborne on SQ 256 for BNE-SIN.

They could be DBed at the departure gate in SIN, assuming proof of onward travel is required for this passenger.

• Agree 1