Chiang Mai battles extensive forest fires and severe air pollution

webfact

image.jpeg

Chiang Mai, a city in the northern region of Thailand, is currently combating an alarming number of forest fires, with over 15 fires reported, some of which have been persisting for three days. As per the local authorities, 17 out of 153 hotspots were detected in the city yesterday.

Five of these hotspots are located in the Chiang Dao district, with two positioned on Doi Nang in Baan Na Lao of Tambon Chiang Dao. Forest fires have been blazing in these areas for several days now.

Efforts to extinguish the fires have been ongoing, led by the Protected Areas Regional Office 16, in collaboration with local communities and other state agencies. However, the difficult terrain, characterised by steep mountains and uneven geography, has been posing significant challenges to firefighting operations.

Supporting the ground team, six firefighting aircraft have been brought in from the Royal Thai Army, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment. These aircraft are integral to the operations, tasked with battling the forest fires from above.

On top of the fires, Chiang Mai is also grappling with unsafe levels of PM2.5 pollutants. Yesterday, all 25 districts of the city recorded levels of these harmful ultra-fine pollutants above the safe exposure threshold for 24 hours of 37.5 microgrammes per cubic metre (µg/m³), with concentrations ranging between 38.8 and 61.4µg/m³.

The situation is even more severe in the Mueang and Pai districts of Mae Hong Son, where PM2.5 pollutants were recorded at 82.7 and 92.2µg/m³, respectively.

Adding to the city’s woes, freak storms on April 13 evening resulted in widespread damage across large areas of the Fang district in Chiang Mai. The storms uprooted trees and caused significant damage to nearly 900 homes and 20 rai farmlands across eight districts, reported Bangkok Post.

Dusit Pongsapipat, the head of the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation office, confirmed that necessary assistance is being provided to the affected households. He further added that inspections are currently underway to assess the extent of the damage and devise a recovery plan.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of bangkokbiznews

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Chiang Mai is off my bucket list.. I don't give a rats, it can burn down to the ground.

The OP report incudes:

............17 out of 153 hotspots were detected in the city yesterday.

I think a 'GoFundMe' should be launched immediately to get Tony out of Chiengmai before the flames reach his private jet. He's also down to his last 2.5 filter mask. Can any AN member local to him help out?

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Climate change 

It could be making the situation worse.  Geography also is a culprit.  A similar effect to Chiang Mai happens to New Delhi, India every winter due to a naturally occurring temperature inversion

Air flowing over the Himalayan mountains to the north descends towards the south and as this air falls, it heats up (since compression is occuring due to higher pressure at lower levels), forming a "ceiling" of warmer air layer above cooler air blanketing the ground.  This polluted ground air can no longer rise and get carried away by faster-moving air in the upper atmosphere.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don Kaeo said:

Been through 11 years of this, and not one step forward to deter or effectively combat these clowns causing so many problems. 
Leads me to surmise that either there is financial incentive not to stop anyone or the government is just too damn inept to deal with it. 

I simply don't see Thai people as having the spirit required to do the hard policing it would take. It's not just burning it's all the usual problems, stray dogs, littering on vacant land, dangerous driving etc... These aren't people that are willing to have ugly confrontations and do what would needs to be done. I have zero confidence this will ever change unless the people themselves decide they want to stop. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think the bottom line is that as many qualities as Chiang Mai may have, it's become unlivable. With the air quality being as bad as it is for so many months of the year, is it worth it? I don't think so, I think it's a no-go zone, at this point in time. Time to re-locate.

But the expats continue to argue that it is heaven on earth 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

I simply don't see Thai people as having the spirit required to do the hard policing it would take. It's not just burning it's all the usual problems, stray dogs, littering on vacant land, dangerous driving etc... These aren't people that are willing to have ugly confrontations and do what would needs to be done. I have zero confidence this will ever change unless the people themselves decide they want to stop. 

Correct, as most don't like to be confrontational and just want everything to be easy. FACE has no place in Thailand anymore......but then that's my view

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think the bottom line is that as many qualities as Chiang Mai may have, it's become unlivable. With the air quality being as bad as it is for so many months of the year, is it worth it? I don't think so, I think it's a no-go zone, at this point in time. Time to re-locate.

Are you living here? If not, as it is clear from your generally misinformed posts, why do you want to relocate? FYI, the fires are in CM province, which is the largest province in Thailand. Not in CM city, and in fact the air in the past few days has been -far from good, granted- quite breathable. But to your partial excuse I have to admit that the article is intentionally misleading.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Correct, as most don't like to be confrontational and just want everything to be easy. FACE has no place in Thailand anymore......but then that's my view

The practice of face may be the single greatest weakness of Thai culture. It prevents growth, emotional development, and is the polar opposite of Buddhism, on multiple levels. It is a scourge. 

• Agree 1