Minivan passengers pass out from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

webfact

image.png

Five out of six people travelling in a passenger minivan fell ill and lost consciousness due to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Nation Thailand reports that on Sunday, April 14, the minivan was travelling between the north-eastern provinces of Mukdanah and Yasothon when 5 passengers passed out in their seats. By the time the van arrived at its final destination of Yasothon bus terminal, at around 3.45 pm, some passengers were vomiting.

It’s understood a number of motorbike taxis initially offered the passengers their services, but when they declined due to their ill health, the taxi drivers called the emergency services.

By Peter Roche

PHOTO: Thai Rath

Full story: PhuketGO 2024-04-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

CO has no smell and there was no suggestion that the smell of exhaust fumes was detected in the van.

Everybody knows that Lou. But when the source is from vehicle exhaust it smells does it not?

Where was it reported that the van was filled with the smell of exhaust fumes?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, rexpotter said:
3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

My guess is that none of the affected passengers were retired commercial airline pilots, so what was the point you were trying to make, are you suggesting that you could smell odourless CO?.

Here's the point, they could smell the exhaust we can be sure of that and they just sat there and put up with it. Its called being very dumb!

"...they could smell the exhaust..." 

Really?  I'm sure that you can quote the part of the OP or the linked article that states that the smell of exhaust fumes was evident on the day and the previous, yes?  You wouldn't be that "dumb" (to use your own derogatory term) to make that up, surely?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Here's the point, they could smell the exhaust we can be sure of that and they just sat there and put up with it. Its called being very dumb!

The article does not say they smelled anything, which is possible. So a critique of our response could be that this is just a Thai bashing post. If, we assume the passengers smelled exhaust and either lack basic CO toxicity knowledge or are stereotypically passive to a point where they will not protest being poisoned and suffocated.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

plus the obvious exhaust smell.

That was not reported by anyone on the trip, nor on the previous trip on which passengers had problems.  You are making up the "obvious exhaust smell" aspect.

• Confused 3

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

My guess is that none of the affected passengers were retired commercial airline pilots, so what was the point you were trying to make, are you suggesting that you could smell odourless CO?.

Old piston engine planes smell like a mixture of avgas, oil, and mouldy naugahyde even when properly maintained

It is possible they noticed no exhaust odor.  Before they  began to experience the insidious effects of CO poisoning 

"He was flying alone,
cruising at 5,500 feet on autopilot, with the
sun coming up on a clear, beautiful day. Per
established routine, he switched the fuel
selector to the auxiliary tank and set up the
navigation system for nearby Topeka.
About 90 minutes later, Dr. Frayser found
himself in a hay field. "

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/cobroforweb.pdf

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

or are stereotypically passive to a point

where they will not protest being poisoned and suffocated.

The consequence of CO poisoning would be their being unintentionally passive due to being poisoned and suffocated!    To criticise them for that, in that situation, would be, as you so accurately mentioned, just Thai-bashing!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:
18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Old piston engine planes smell like a mixture of avgas, oil, and mouldy naugahyde even when properly maintained

It is possible they noticed no exhaust odor.  Before they  began to experience the insidious effects of CO poisoning 

"Old piston engine planes smell like a mixture of avgas, oil, and mouldy naugahyde."

So what?  

"It is possible they noticed no exhaust odor".

That's what I said.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Back in my youthful days I had taken a bus from the northern bus terminal up to Authhya to meet up with some Thai people i worked with at the time. On the way back, the air con in the ceiling started grinding and smoking until it got so bad I went up and told the driver to let me out. He then closed the door, full of smoke and continued with his passengers.A trail of smoke behind the bus

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Nope. Smell exhaust in the cabin get out

I got out once from a van when the driver kept microasleeping at the wheel too

How did you manage to escape? Fell out through the closed door? Or pulled down the windows?😳