Duo steals million-baht diamond bracelet from Bangkok mall

webfact

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

So now even "resembling foreigners'  is a potential offence, is it? There seems to be no end of ways they're trying to finger foreigners for Thai crime. Surely, if the thieves definitely were foreigners, it would have been one of the first things used to describe them by the shop staff.

Wahhhh racism wahhhhhhh. Nothing in the article suggested any sort of prejudice. Is this your theme song everywhere you go? Picking on the poor foreigners again wahhhh? All the article said was they were "dressed like foreigners" which was simply the way someone described them, no more, no less. What if they were dressed like clowns? Would you cry bloody murder about clown prejudice? Probably if they were dressed like foreign clowns, Ronald McDonald maybe. They probably were dressed like foreigners as the average person might observe, even if their features were Asian. I see Thai people dressed in western fashions all the time, and that's how I would describe them. I actually often laugh because of what's on t shirts that they themselves can't even read. BTW would you have us believe that there are no prejudices or stereotypes in your country? Lastly, you weren't there, never saw the video, all you see here is a blurry still frame, but boy you sure pile it high and deep based on virtually no information. You must be psychic. If so, why don't you help the cops solve this? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I'm still amazed at how easy it is to steal jewelry from Thai gold shops

Police think the taxi driver was in on it. I think if he was, there were more than him involved. You ask to see a 1-million-baht bracelet, so the assistant takes it out puts in on the counter and gets distracted????? How convenient!

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I'm still amazed at how easy it is to steal jewelry from Thai gold shops

The distracted staff may be an accomplice. Staff in these shops doesn't get distracted as there are 2 staff per customer & a guy at the door.

Staff must have recognised nationality by their accent or if they spoke Thai. How did they know about "getaway taxi" reg.?

3 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I hope it will not be like in the Philippines with armed guards in every grocery store, let alone gold shops or banks

They look armed a few had told me they have never fired there weapon and did not have many if any rounds.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Letseng said:

The distracted staff may be an accomplice. Staff in these shops doesn't get distracted as there are 2 staff per customer & a guy at the door.

Staff must have recognised nationality by their accent or if they spoke Thai. How did they know about "getaway taxi" reg.?

It was in a big shopping mall, not an independent shop !!!

1 hour ago, john donson said:

time to install security doors on all those open shops

wonder why this snatching does not happen every single day, too easy, no security

Shopping mall !!! Why don’t readers read the story ?

Why these places don't make customers take off their masks (and hats at times) while entering a store for a second while their cameras get a shot of them, still amazes me! 

We do it at immigration and no big deal.

"Hi. welcome to my shop, that's a beautiful mask you have......now let me show you my gold and diamonds worth millions"

Edited by metisdead
Trolling meme removed.
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A sophisticated heist unfolded at a renowned shopping mall in Bangkok’s Pathumwan district yesterday, where thieves made off with a diamond bracelet valued at over 1 million baht. The pair, posing as customers, managed to deceive the staff and conceal the high-value item before fleeing the scene in a waiting taxi.

The two criminals orchestrated the brazen theft yesterday, April 16, in the heart of Bangkok.

"Foreigners"

The suspects, a man and a woman believed to be in their thirties and resembling foreigners, entered a jewellery store and expressed interest in an exquisite yellow-gold diamond bracelet worth approximately 1,040,000 baht (US$28,000).

As the employee’s attention was momentarily diverted, the female accomplice discreetly tucked the bracelet up her left sleeve, using a mobile phone to distract the staff further. Subsequently, they swiftly exited the store and escaped in a taxi bearing the license plate 1มค 9327.

The store manager, 39 year old Somtut, was understandably shaken as he recounted the events to the police. Officers, led by Police Lieutenant Colonel Pichai Raksakom of Pathumwan Police Station, arrived promptly with the investigative team and forensic officers to examine the scene.

Witnesses provided descriptions of the suspects, noting their casual attire, with both wearing grey T-shirts, the man in black trousers and the woman in black shorts, and both sporting eyeglasses and a black cap, reported KhaoSod.

The meticulous coordination of the crime and the swift getaway sparked suspicions that the taxi driver might be complicit in the operation. The police promptly issued an alert to intercept the vehicle, which was last seen heading towards Don Mueang via the Din Daeng motorway. Unfortunately, the suspects managed to evade capture.

In related news, a bold theft occurred yesterday at 7pm when a lone robber seized a 5-baht weight gold necklace valued at over 210,000 baht from the Aurora gold shop located inside a shopping mall in Bang Kaeo, Bang Phli District, Samut Prakan Province.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

Those damn Jonny Foreigners! 

• Haha 1

From the photo, look at the background ! The jewelry stands are near the entrance of the mall. You can see the security guards legs in the photo. So easy to nip in and out. These thieves know how to rob. Distract the sales lady asking to look at something else, or a third accomplice opposite them. Central world side entrance has all the jewelry stands near the doors.

As for the thieves, could be from anywhere, Chinese / Thai/ other Asian. The guy could be a Falang. 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

It was in a big shopping mall, not an independent shop !!!

But an individual, independant shop with a front door. No problem for the thief to disappear in a mall. 

3 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Why these places don't make customers take off their masks (and hats at times) while entering a store for a second while their cameras get a shot of them, still amazes me! 

We do it at immigration and no big deal.

"Hi. welcome to my shop, that's a beautiful mask you have......now let me show you my gold and diamonds worth millions"

Agreed. Covid is over and masks are not only unfriendly but can present a security risk as you can't identity someone who's wearing one.

Perhaps it's time to put up signs like "if you're wearing a mask, no entry" as is happening in New York, due to an uptick in crime. 

Problem is, Thais love their masks so much, they might start rioting if someone dared tell them to go "naked".

• Haha 1