Russian tourist dies in Phuket motorbike crash near Big Buddha

snoop1130

Phuket-accident.jpg

A Russian tourist tragically lost his life in a motorbike accident near Kata School on Patak Road in Karon, Phuket. The incident occurred at 5.50am today, April 17, when the tourist, Pavel, lost control of his Honda PCX and plunged into a ditch. His wife, who was riding a pillion, sustained minor injuries. They were en route to visit the famous Big Buddha when the accident took place.

Following the report of the accident, Deputy Inspector Phirawat Yodtor, the investigating officer from Karon Police Station, along with patrol officers and Karon Municipality’s rescue team, rushed to the scene. They discovered the grey Honda PCX with an Uttaradit registration plate in a scrubland about 5 metres off the roadside.

Pavel’s body was found nearby, lying sideways, trapped against a tree. The rescue team recovered his body from the brushwood alongside the road before transporting it to Chalong Hospital, while the motorbike was retrieved and kept at Karon Police Station for further investigation, reported KhaoSod.

Upon inquiry, Pavel’s Russian wife recounted that they were travelling along Patak Road on their way to the Big Buddha, a popular tourist destination. As they approached the accident site, the motorbike veered off the road, leading to her husband’s fatal injuries and death at the scene, while she escaped with only minor injuries.

In related news, a fatal motorcycle crash occurred on Sena Nikhom Road in Bangkok’s Chatuchak district, claiming the life of a 37 year old man. The incident, which happened around 2.30am on April 6, took a turn when authorities discovered a firearm hidden underneath the vehicle’s seat.

The accident took place approximately 500 metres from the Sena Nikhom intersection along Phahon Yothin Road, a four-lane street known for its challenging curves.

The deceased, identified only as Nopat, was found without a helmet, sustained severe injuries to his neck and abrasions to his ankle, resulting in immediate death.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Lived a year on Soi Yodsane, the feeder road up to Big Buddha.

Early morning traffic - not unusual for people to be there for sunrise, great views.

True, but unusual place to come off road. I passed the accident at 06,30. It;s going up a steep hill medium right hand bend. He seemed to have come off to left of bend. Not a normal place to have accidents.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

on average i only see a small minority of foreigners wearing helmets when riding motorcycles. i don't understand the mentality, but am not surprised by the consequences.

That and not wearing seatbelts - its something I've never understood... 

The Brother In Law popped round the other day....   he's a smart lad and usually drives, but like me also has a scooter for the convenience.... 

When he left (on his scooter), we (Wife and I) were leaving our house at the same time - he got on his bike and had no helmet.

I stopped and went to get him one of mine....  he had his helmet under his seat and put that on.... 

My Wife and I then discussed the mentality of this.....    She didn't understand it either (she wont even get on the back of a motorcycle and has never ridden one)...   

We agreed, some people think they are only going nearby, so don't bother..... the stats that most accidents occur within proximity to ones home eludes them.

In central Bangkok, on the Soi's I'm seeing about 20% of motorcyclists wearing helmets - there are more on the main roads, probably because they are going further and don't want to risk getting stopped by the BiB. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What a dumb comment!

Fits the reader in your case, fits the crime, in case of Igor, and it is very possible it was offered as light relief to the sherlocks hard at work.But of course you knew that didn,t you!! lol

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

True, but unusual place to come off road. I passed the accident at 06,30. It;s going up a steep hill medium right hand bend. He seemed to have come off to left of bend. Not a normal place to have accidents.

All bends are a normal place for accidents here, I doubt he had a M/C license, cold & Icy Russia can't have many motorbike riders, and a 'Big bike'. Inexperienced rider would be my guess.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Cooler at that time of the morning especially up there and it would be coming light at that time

alright, if you say so.

IMO they were from somewhere they didn't want to disclose. So she said "we were en route to the temple"

yeah, temple-shtemple!

Edited by NativeBob
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not overly concerned about 'adults' killing themselves.....but it does annoy me to see kids sat on someone's knee in the front of a car or gangs of kids in the back of a truck been driven by a complete moron who thinks he is in an F1 race.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not overly concerned about 'adults' killing themselves.....but it does annoy me to see kids sat on someone's knee in the front of a car or gangs of kids in the back of a truck been driven by a complete moron who thinks he is in an F1 race.

2 Adults with 2 kids on a bike, normal around here, 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

If you know that road then early morning is the best time, 

Bad light at those times can lead to miss-judgments in reading the road, plus many run with no lights to 'save electric'. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

All bends are a normal place for accidents here, I doubt he had a M/C license, cold & Icy Russia can't have many motorbike riders, and a 'Big bike'. Inexperienced rider would be my guess.  

It was a PCX, hardly a 'Big Bike'. But a lot of power, For sure no M/C driving experience.  But its a steep rise on road and I doubt going so fast as wife jumped off. Just so unlucky to go into the deep drainage ditch. No mention of helmet of how he died. I guess head injury. I live just off that road bend and we see plenty bikes in the ditch on the downside of road. Mostly caused while braking on slick busy fast road.

• Like 1