Major outage reported by 3bb

18 hours ago, bradiston said:

Well, I'm not answering for 3bb, just putting forward my take on it. They say it's unreroutable undersea cable damage. Make what you will of it.

I didnt consider it to be your opinion as it is something for 3BB. Doesn't alter the fact if there is only a single feed the design is poor.

Re an earlier comment in the thread, AIS and 3BB had some kind of corporate merger lately that, as I understand it, results in AIS taking over ownership control of 3BB's home internet services (though they continue to be billed and serviced by 3BB at least for the time being).

The link below has a Q&A for customers toward the bottom of the webpage:

https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/fibre/fibre3/

AND

NBTC clears AIS-3BB merger with 5-year cap on broadband pricing

13 November 2023

"Thailand’s National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) board greenlighted the merger of Advanced Info Service (AIS) and Triple T Broadband (3BB) on Friday, so long as it doesn’t raise broadband prices for the next five years.

AIS broadband subsidiary Advanced Wireless Network (AWN) struck a deal in July 2022 to acquire 100% of 3BB, along with a 19% stake in Jasmine Broadband Internet Infrastructure Fund (JASIF). The merger makes AIS the biggest fixed broadband player in Thailand with 4.69 million subscribers, displacing True Corp, which has 3.8 million fixed broadband subscribers."

https://developingtelecoms.com/telecom-business/telecom-regulation/15779-nbtc-clears-ais-3bb-merger-with-5-year-cap-on-broadband-pricing.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mackayae said:

My IPTV is terrible, buffering. One week now. Called 3BB and they said undersea cable Singapore.

Yeah i think they have a good laugh round the office when they come out with that one again

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

Don't believe that.  I have IPTV via 3BB and its generally very good.

Which service you are using?

It will depend on where your service is based. If it has Thailand or Asia based servers it will not be affected by the undersea cables.

If based in Europe, the issues should occur in the evenings, not in the morning.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah i think they have a good laugh round the office when they come out with that one again

So you have any info that they are repaired already, or that they actually never were damaged, and all the reports on the websites dedicated to submarine cable issues were just lies?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

So you have any info that they are repaired already, or that they actually never were damaged, and all the reports on the websites dedicated to submarine cable issues were just lies?

None of it is clear, some providers don't seem to have the same issue, i switch to my AIS sim when 3BB dies

1 hour ago, elfpattaya said:

You do know that 3BB has been taken over by AIS.  It has been AIS since November 2023. It is no longer 3BB.

Yes, in my case one is fibre and one is sim data, who knows why one works when other one doesn't, people suspect throttling sometimes 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes, in my case one is fibre and one is sim data, who knows why one works when other one doesn't, people suspect throttling sometimes 

Yeah but SIM data throughout will never match fibre. I have a 320 Mbps 3bb LAN fibre connection and a 15 Mbps WiFi SIM. There's no way I can run an IPTV box on that.

Re data throttling. Early on in the buffering problem, maybe 3 months ago, the 3bb engineer came out after I suggested 3bb were throttling. He tinkered around for 30 minutes and left saying all clear now. Not sure in relation to what. But thereafter it was the nightly blue circle buffering that occurred, sometimes avoidably, by switching channels (eg UHD to FHD) sometimes persistently. I'd ring 1131 and get them to "reboot the server" (their suggestion) at their end. I've no idea what they actually did (they still do it) but it did sometimes work. I'd also reboot all my devices, box and router, whenever it got really annoying.

Seems like we're stuck with it until there's a fix on the cable, if that's really the source of the problem.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

You do know that 3BB has been taken over by AIS.  It has been AIS since November 2023. It is no longer 3BB.

3BB is owned by AIS, they still use the same network with the same engineers as before the takeover, so nothing changed in that respect

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yeah but SIM data throughout will never match fibre. I have a 320 Mbps 3bb LAN fibre connection and a 15 Mbps WiFi SIM. There's no way I can run an IPTV box on that.

Re data throttling. Early on in the buffering problem, maybe 3 months ago, the 3bb engineer came out after I suggested 3bb were throttling. He tinkered around for 30 minutes and left saying all clear now. Not sure in relation to what. But thereafter it was the nightly blue circle buffering that occurred, sometimes avoidably, by switching channels (eg UHD to FHD) sometimes persistently. I'd ring 1131 and get them to "reboot the server" (their suggestion) at their end. I've no idea what they actually did (they still do it) but it did sometimes work. I'd also reboot all my devices, box and router, whenever it got really annoying.

Seems like we're stuck with it until there's a fix on the cable, if that's really the source of the problem.

My sim data has been flawless for streaming the last 2 years, since i had 3BB installed it's the cable cut story every week and intermittent internet speeds

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My sim data has been flawless for streaming the last 2 years, since i had 3BB installed it's the cable cut story every week and intermittent internet speeds

I guess mobile streaming isn't the same as IPTV streaming.

34 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I guess mobile streaming isn't the same as IPTV streaming.

Same, internet speed requirements are exaggerated, like i said with 10mbps and 30mbps it was flawless, live sport HD

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Same, internet speed requirements are exaggerated, like i said with 10mbps and 30mbps it was flawless, live sport HD

And I guess you cast from your mobile to your TV? Who's the live sport hd provider?

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

reboot the server

I was asking 3BB/AIS to do this most nights, seemed to work , I don't know why, rebooting the router at my end didn't make any difference.

Does anybody know why rebooting the service at their end would make things OK?

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 11:21 AM, bradiston said:

I have a 320 Mbps 3bb LAN fibre connection and a 15 Mbps WiFi SIM. There's no way I can run an IPTV box on that.

Can you explain why?  I watch SD television via a Firestick and can monitor download speeds in real time.  It seems to run OK at about 1 Mbps.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, treetops said:

Can you explain why?  I watch SD television via a Firestick and can monitor download speeds in real time.  It seems to run OK at about 1 Mbps.

No, I can't explain why. Maybe I'm wrong but I tried running my box over WiFi using my phone as a hotspot. It got as far as listing the EPG, but wouldn't stream any channels. But it's all HD of one sort of another (UHD, FHD, and HD). 1 Mbps? That's really bizarre! Is it live streams you're watching, or prerecorded, like movies? I like watching live Tour de France. Any chance of that on a 1Mbps fire stick?

Edited by bradiston

On 7/1/2024 at 2:59 PM, bradiston said:

No, I can't explain why. Maybe I'm wrong but I tried running my box over WiFi using my phone as a hotspot. It got as far as listing the EPG, but wouldn't stream any channels. But it's all HD of one sort of another (UHD, FHD, and HD). 1 Mbps? That's really bizarre! Is it live streams you're watching, or prerecorded, like movies? I like watching live Tour de France. Any chance of that on a 1Mbps fire stick?

It's mostly live TV I watch using the Firestick - I stick on BBC News when I wake up and just leave it playing for a while.  I use a free service so occasionally see buffering but can usually find a site that's OK.  The 1Mbps speed was from a SIM router so a phone should easily achieve that.