Thai mobile phone provider wants too much money

It’s like getting blood out of a stone finding different packages.

in the UK, you can ask them to look at your usage and recommend the best package, and they are legally bound to do that, I’ve tried that here and it doesn’t work.

• Like 1

That's why I use prepaid. 50 baht per month to top up, don't make a lot of actual telephone calls. Use predominantly wi-fi for internet connection & voip calls (LINE & MS Messenger). No phone bills to worry about. 

On 4/26/2024 at 4:59 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

the phone company makes it extraordinary difficult to choose a cheap promotion which they offer. Annoying!

So true Farang. I had a nice inexpensive package, but because of Kasikornbank I had to buy a new phone.  To get the cheaper price I had to upgrade my package for a year. They are robber barons, but then again I'd rather have the robber barons than a bunch of communist, etc(ist).

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

in the UK, you can ask them to look at your usage and recommend the best package, and they are legally bound to do that, I’ve tried that here and it doesn’t work.

Really, I've not had that problem in the past with AIS.

29 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Really, I've not had that problem in the past with AIS.

They usually recommend something but not necessarily the best package for you.

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

They usually recommend something but not necessarily the best package for you.

I don't think they would understand the concept of the best for a certain user.

For them the best is something with a high number. Like 20GB, good, 40GB better - maybe next time I should ask them what a GB is. I a sure there will be some funny replies. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think they would understand the concept of the best for a certain user.

For them the best is something with a high number. Like 20GB, good, 40GB better - maybe next time I should ask them what a GB is. I a sure there will be some funny replies. 

GB

googley bits? 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 11:16 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Thats some garbage package for people who want to reach internet when not having wifi while it takes ages to load.

So your understanding lacks a lot then, why do people want fast internet? 

That is certainly not correct , i have been buying True yearly sims for since 2019 and they are super fast speed's. The ones i buy come with free calls to all networks and the last one i bought was in June 2023 for 1199 , so i got Internet at tge fastest speed of up to 1000 mbps and free calls to all networks that cut off off after 30 minutes then have to redial.  They have saved me a lot of money as before i used tobe paying about 1000 baht a month just in phone calls . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Exactly! My phone’s download speed at my BKK residence (where I get 5G) is over 900 Mbps and only 20 Mbps (4G) at my farang land residence. Yet I cannot notice any difference in the speed in any of the phone apps, some of which are online live interactive games and streaming of live TV, sport etc. 

IMO the hype around obtaining supersonic-fast internet speed (and the associated costs) for phone  internet is not justified. 

But, but, if you need to be the first to see all those new tiktok videos and the newest insta-rail from your idols, you MUST have the highest speed imageable! 😉 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Exactly! My phone’s download speed at my BKK residence (where I get 5G) is over 900 Mbps and only 20 Mbps (4G) at my farang land residence. Yet I cannot notice any difference in the speed in any of the phone apps, some of which are online live interactive games and streaming of live TV, sport etc. 

IMO the hype around obtaining supersonic-fast internet speed (and the associated costs) for phone  internet is not justified. 

Very true, it's all garbage, my 10mbps AIS sim and 30mbps DTAC sim streams TV as good as my 3BB 250+mbps fibre, the main advantage i guess is unlimited data. The AN upgrade last week proved that, it was them all along

Edited by scubascuba3

On 4/26/2024 at 6:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The data allowances now are poor, the good old days of unlimited year sims seems over on Lazada and Shopee anyway.

i still have AIS unlimited 10mbps 150 baht a month + just kicked off 3BB fibre at home

I was able to renew my yearly AIS 1790 baht 100GB per month net marathon package yesterday, months after it had expired while I was out of the country. 

I had to call 1175 but they told me that package is still available if a particular phone number has ever had it. 

Certainly the best mobile phone deal I’ve ever heard of. It doesn’t have 5G, but that’s never the bottleneck anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Everyman said:

I was able to renew my yearly AIS 1790 baht 100GB per month net marathon package yesterday, months after it had expired while I was out of the country. 

I had to call 1175 but they told me that package is still available if a particular phone number has ever had it. 

Certainly the best mobile phone deal I’ve ever heard of. It doesn’t have 5G, but that’s never the bottleneck anyway. 

Do you really need 100GB per month? I need maybe 10% of that (on my mobile). 

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i needed/wanted unlimited for phone data until i got fibre 

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you really need 100GB per month? I need maybe 10% of that (on my mobile). 

I am a digital nomad so it’s my primary internet. But that is plenty, I usually use about 50GB per month. 

If you tether a laptop you can easily start chewing through data. 

Posted (edited)

Why do you expect them to tell you how to give them less money? The onus is on you to seek out promotions that benefit you.

This is how telcos the world over do business, not just Thailand's.

Edited by Moncul

1 hour ago, Moncul said:

Why do you expect them to tell you how to give them less money? The onus is on you to seek out promotions that benefit you.

This is how telcos the world over do business, not just Thailand's.

I expect from them to show me all the options which they have. If they have 10 different promotions then I expect that I can see those 10 promotions in their app, on their website and when I call them.

Now: Maybe 5 promotions on their app, 3 other promotions on the www, another one when I call them, and then another one when I ask them for more options.

I don't mind if the salespeople try to sell me the most expensive, but they should be fair enough and at least mention that there are also cheaper (and sufficient) options.