Shouldn't UK police carry guns?

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

You must be over a 100 years old then!  What day was this?

And, you began living in Hong Kong what year?

image.png.b1b801bf7c724d04f635af2617a2e737.png

You see, I am just reporting what I saw when I lived in Hong Kong.

I saw many police officers.

But, I did not see guns.

I am just reporting what I personally saw.

Where did you see the guns, 45 years ago, when you were in Hong Kong, at that time?????

image.png.11c6183b87470a1d7980f03151b38ef7.png

No guns.

image.png.01d3c1b7a4d305c1426a8836a92b08c3.png

No guns.

image.png.a1c1422a791b64519dc678fd33a80791.png

So, when I was in Hong Kong, years ago, the first and most remarkable thing that I noticed was the fact that the police walked around the city of HK and Kowloon without guns carried on their belts.

Quite odd, I thought, at the time....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I agree. I'm a Brit living in UK, late sixties and I would be happy to see the Police armed and ready to use their guns.

There is no respect for the law any more thanks to the "PC" and "Woke" nonsense being peddled.

Even when the Police arrest some toe rag who's been (for example) causing criminal damage, assaulting people, driving at 100MPH through residential areas AND refusing to stop, or whatever, the Police have a "duty of care" to the arrestee! PATHETIC!!   🤬 There is no respect for law and order because the crims know they are going to be treated kindly whatever they've done. Time for some discipline enforced as required!

Having said all that, detailed training on how and when and where to shoot is, of course, absolutely essential.

"PC and Woke nonsense"  You have no idea how good some of you have it .  https://whyy.org/articles/philadelphia-police-ryan-pownall-david-jones-arbitration/

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:
18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

He was saying it's about time they carried guns there , apparently they have to call the armed police to situations.

Guy was lying, 1 in 5 Brit police have a gun secured in the boot of their car.

I think more exaggerating than lying.  It's pretty likely that he would have to wait for armed police in a lot of situations, but they probably aren't that far away.  As you say, a lot of police (I think most traffic police) can be deployed as armed police if given the go-ahead.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the public like it that way.  Not sure about the inner city people, but there are a lot of armed police in those places.

There have, however, been a few incidences of unarmed police being the first on scene with a knifeman (I don't think they would send them to a firearms incident) who have been injured or killed.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, you began living in Hong Kong what year?

image.png.b1b801bf7c724d04f635af2617a2e737.png

You see, I am just reporting what I saw when I lived in Hong Kong.

I saw many police officers.

But, I did not see guns.

I am just reporting what I personally saw.

Where did you see the guns, 45 years ago, when you were in Hong Kong, at that time?????

image.png.11c6183b87470a1d7980f03151b38ef7.png

No guns.

image.png.01d3c1b7a4d305c1426a8836a92b08c3.png

No guns.

image.png.a1c1422a791b64519dc678fd33a80791.png

So, when I was in Hong Kong, years ago, the first and most remarkable thing that I noticed was the fact that the police walked around the city of HK and Kowloon without guns carried on their belts.

Quite odd, I thought, at the time....

In the first picture they are parading for inspection, guns do not HAVE to be worn.

In the second picture you cannot tell if they are wearing guns from that angle.  Prior to the mid to late 80's guns were worn on the left in a cross draw holster.

In the third picture you have Chief Inspector Rod Mason as a Chief Inspector and company 2 i/c in a PTU Company.  The multi coloured lanyard is a Commissioner's Commendation for some brave work cracking a drug smuggling syndicate as an undercover officer.  The caption is wrong as he joined the HK Police around 1983.  He has sadly passed away recently; so please be careful with what you say about him.

Prior to WWII the HK Police were armed.

Post WWII the HK Police carried -

Webley (first issued in 1930's) 

Colt Police Positive

S&W Model 10

S&W Heavy Barrel Model 10

Uniformed officers on patrol have been armed in HK longer than you have been alive.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

According to your logic the crime situation in the USA would be so much better than in the UK. Is that the case? 

No, the US population is far more criminal and even they have the right to own guns, plus millions of guns in circulation, leaky border with Mexico etc... UK would have much better results.

19 minutes ago, Screaming said:

Maybe the UK police should carry Fried Chicken on them. This will appease some of the boat migrants that are invading the UK.

"Man Shot 7 Times During Argument Over Chicken at Anniversary Party"

https://www.newsweek.com/man-shot-7-times-during-argument-over-chicken-anniversary-party-tennessee-1720360

image.png.94669bc35da7d8033b9a894f3e1a126f.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder how many country police in the UK have been murdered going out to situations and no gun .

Those days are over. they need to carry machine-guns now if they wish to live. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was in a cafe today and spoke to a guy from the UK who had retired from the UK police 

Even if this random guy you met in a cafe actually was a retired UK policeman he wasn't representative of the majority of them. 

According to the latest survey carried out by the Police Federation in the UK, 66% of police officers do not want the police to be routinely armed. 

Police Federation Firearms Survey

Just over a third (34%) personally supported the idea of routine arming.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

In the first picture they are parading for inspection, guns do not HAVE to be worn.

In the second picture you cannot tell if they are wearing guns from that angle.  Prior to the mid to late 80's guns were worn on the left in a cross draw holster.

In the third picture you have Chief Inspector Rod Mason as a Chief Inspector and company 2 i/c in a PTU Company.  The multi coloured lanyard is a Commissioner's Commendation for some brave work cracking a drug smuggling syndicate as an undercover officer.  The caption is wrong as he joined the HK Police around 1983.  He has sadly passed away recently; so please be careful with what you say about him.

Prior to WWII the HK Police were armed.

Post WWII the HK Police carried -

Webley (first issued in 1930's) 

Colt Police Positive

S&W Model 10

S&W Heavy Barrel Model 10

Uniformed officers on patrol have been armed in HK longer than you have been alive.

Interesting.

Thanks for the info.

And, as for me, when living in Hong Kong, I rarely saw police officers walking around with guns.

Batons, yes.

Guns, no.

That would have been from 1979, onwards.

After the commies marched in, I very seldom returned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Screaming said:

Maybe the UK police should carry Fried Chicken on them. This will appease some of the boat migrants that are invading the UK.

The UK has been being invaded by migrants since the year dot. Nothing new here. Get over it. Time to move on. (I love those phrases. What my arch brexiteer enemy used to love bellowing at me when I mentioned it might be tough for the younger generations to go and work in Europe thanks to Jonno and his idiot cronies.)

But about arming the cops. We don't in the UK have a 1st Amendment thankfully, we don't even have a written constitution, so you don't see civilians armed to the teeth roaming around blowing the brains out of anyone they don't like the look of. I've met plenty of Americans who absolutely relish the European model where you can have a heated discussion and not risk being offed. I call it civilization. You might call it something else, if you're not woke and proud of it. Libtard? Mangina? All rightist insults from Middle Ages America, or middle aged if you like.

Update... I see most countries in the world have armed police of some sort of another. The odd exceptions appear to be notably China, New Zealand and the UK. So I guess so long as the general populace isn't armed, we can feel reasonably safe in our beds at night. I am over 70. I've never once even touched a gun and I have no wish to. Got my own make and model and I keep it where it belongs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_firearm_use_by_country

Edited by bradiston
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Interesting.

Thanks for the info.

And, as for me, when living in Hong Kong, I rarely saw police officers walking around with guns.

Batons, yes.

Guns, no.

That would have been from 1979, onwards.

After the commies marched in, I very seldom returned.

The Royal Hong Kong police walked their beats with guns since the sixties and had to return their guns after their shifts while CIDs carried their guns even after work and this is a fact until present times.

Of course they should be armed, and well armed too, their weapons should be clearly visible too. The caliber of weapon increasing with rank, of course,  but as an incentive, upgrades could be arranged for those with a good (judicial) kill rate, points would need to be deducted for accidents

Of course  some police officers should never be allowed anywhere near a gun' . The roided up tattooed gym going thugs, with beards  ( both male and female) for starters and also most of the other "box ticking" women officers, especially at a certain times of the month,  for obvious reasons, Besides there is not much need to be "packing a piece" for family liason or victim support duties Or when impersonating a 13 year old girl online as part of a pedo honey trap sting      And before the Wokies hyperventilate I said "most" which is patently true, so leaves me unable to be criticised

Those unworthy could be given children's imitation firearms with the worst of them being issued with spud guns

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

No thanks, we don't want to end up like the USA.  Guns breed guns.

what about the police being armed means the populace will gets too? The real problem is accidental shootings.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

The UK has been being invaded by migrants since the year dot. Nothing new here. Get over it. Time to move on. (I love those phrases. What my arch brexiteer enemy used to love bellowing at me when I mentioned it might be tough for the younger generations to go and work in Europe thanks to Jonno and his idiot cronies.)

Overwhelming majority of shootings in the US are blacks and hispanics. As the UK population shifts you're going to have a more violence and the police will eventually start carrying guns. This is baked in at this point. 

• Agree 2

When I joined the police force (England, 1975) we were still being issued with whistles and wooden truncheons.

The lucky new recruits were given 2nd hand truncheons from retired officers, these were quite hefty being made from ebony or other hardwoods.

Mine was one of the new, less harmful type, made from pine. It would probably have broken if I ever used it in anger, but the most action it saw was breaking windows to get into locked buildings.

I recall that there was a survey carried out in the '80s and the vast majority of police officers did not wish to be armed. Of course, things have changed a lot since then. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Overwhelming majority of shootings in the US are blacks and hispanics. As the UK population shifts you're going to have a more violence and the police will eventually start carrying guns. This is baked in at this point. 

Baked in? To what? Sing a song of 6d...? Yeah, if you're going to blame it all on immigrants, Americans have been killing each other for centuries. The Irish? Probably the most violent of all. Then there's Italians. The Jewish gangsters. The thugs who ran the slave trade and the plantations. And to think, all the Brits did was to raise taxes without giving the colonials the vote!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

As long as they point the gun in the right direction its good enough for me. As far as I am aware none of the feral scrotes,some still in their teens, who manage to get hold of a gun  receive any appropriate training whatsoever. If anybody is seen to be brandishing  a gun , shoot to kill should be the default setting.  No exceptions

Absolutely!! The scrotes shouldn't have the guns in the first place, so they've already placed themselves outside the law so no quarter should be shown. 

And if that makes me a Right-wing hardliner - BRING IT ON!

10 hours ago, charleskerins said:

"PC and Woke nonsense"  You have no idea how good some of you have it .  https://whyy.org/articles/philadelphia-police-ryan-pownall-david-jones-arbitration/

That particular story to which you have linked seems to me to be full of "He said, and he said" arguments. Not sure if it proves or disproves much.

Most police are morons.  Due to this fact, they shouldn't be allowed to carry guns.

They are seldom on the streets in any case so maybe they should focus on actually walking the beat again.

UK police have become a totally ineffective woke waste of money.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

It seems as though the UK police force/farce haven't got leaders with backbones,their so called leaders prefer to go for easy targets and for some reason best known to themselves prefer to side with law breakers rather than enforce the law,those police that do their job properly get disillusioned when the useless CPS then decide to drop cases for what seems to be trivial reasons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Shouldn't UK police carry guns?

No thanks, we don't want to end up like the USA.  Guns breed guns.

And here, even though I'm British, I shall quote the NRA and say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people"

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Baked in? To what? Sing a song of 6d...? Yeah, if you're going to blame it all on immigrants, Americans have been killing each other for centuries. The Irish? Probably the most violent of all. Then there's Italians. The Jewish gangsters. The thugs who ran the slave trade and the plantations. And to think, all the Brits did was to raise taxes without giving the colonials the vote!

Sorry those are the facts. Bury your head in the ground or face them.

• Agree 1

The OP has been seriously misinformed here. Depending on the reason for a call out, almost all UK police cars are equipped with firearms and a trained firearms officer. Unlike a certain country, the UK police do not go in heavy handed, guns blazing, to a domestic disturbance, when there is no necessity. However, there are times when armed police are in plain sight, which in most cases is a deterrent. 

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

The OP has been seriously misinformed here. Depending on the reason for a call out, almost all UK police cars are equipped with firearms and a trained firearms officer. Unlike a certain country, the UK police do not go in heavy handed, guns blazing, to a domestic disturbance, when there is no necessity. However, there are times when armed police are in plain sight, which in most cases is a deterrent. 

So the guns are in the car !

Geez you wouldn't want to do that in Australia,they would jump in and take off with the car !

I don't know about you but if your a cop attending a domestic and the offender  pulls a knife , I'm not going out to the car to get the gun