British Publisher Colin Hastings Dies in Chonburi Car Crash

webfact

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the front of the car is mostly plastic".

Nothing aft of the front bumper, relevant to the accident, is plastic!

Everything aft of the bumper looks almost normal, no real radiator damage, both headlights are cracked but not destroyed, the bonnet is as thin as paper, all the front plastic is hanging off.

No windscreen damage.. 

He hit a building at normal speed nothing excessive.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:
2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

The cabin appears to be undamaged.

No seatbelt?

Is it @Thingamabob who is posting confused reactions to people mentioning the no seatbelt idea?

What we're suggesting is that even though the cabin appears undamaged, if he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, he still could have been killed by the impact of the crash.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

How about all the amateur-forensic "sleuths" give it a rest?

Hear, hear!

The callousness of some of these posts is unbelievable. Do they have NOTHING better to do?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well that's only speculation Brian 

How would you rate that percentage wise in say a probality to ratio.

Possibly high , yes you maybe right Brian .

You should stick with mopping floors.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well that's only speculation Brian 

How would you rate that percentage wise in say a probality to ratio.

Possibly high , yes you maybe right Brian .

6 to 1  against...... 3 to 1 evens ..  odds on ... there is no favorite .

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

The cabin appears to be undamaged.

Which makes me think he may have had a medical event (heart attack, stroke etc.) while driving, and that caused the vehicle to crash. It might not have been the crash that killed him, but the medical event. The damage to the car does not give the impression that the accident would have been unsurvivable.

RIP, Colin.

12 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

What does that mean? No seatbelt? 

Just like many motorbike riders without helmets, same goes to many drivers who seems to disregard wearing seat belts

(I admit, I'm one of them) driving around town...( although my car is a much more safety protected than a Toyota Vios)...

Edited by ezzra
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Hear, hear!

The callousness of some of these posts is unbelievable. Do they have NOTHING better to do?

Yes it's unbelievable..but looking at the statistics that many possibilities that they are the single shirtless old guys I seen in FLYBIRD condo in Pattaya last night they may be bitter in their lifestyle.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand expresses its deepest condolences to the family and many friends of Colin Hastings, a longtime FCCT journalist member. 

Colin died suddenly on Monday afternoon in Bang Saray near Sattahip in Chonburi province when the car he was driving hit a wall. Emergency services were unable to revive him, and he was declared dead at the scene of the accident at around 3.15pm.There were no other casualties. 

A veteran British journalist with Fleet Street experience, Colin arrived in Bangkok in 1973, and worked on numerous publications with the Bangkok Post and at Media Transasia. He went on to become the first editor of Thailand Tatler in 1991, and in 1999 launched his own expat-focused publication, Big Chilli, which he managed to keep afloat while print media all over the world went out of business. 

A superb squash player, Colin was an outstanding all-round sportsman and highly clubbable. He served on the board of the British Club, and moved as easily in Thai society as he did in foreign circles.

The FCCT will publish a fuller tribute to Colin in the coming days, along with details of arrangements for his funeral.

I wonder why a Monday ?

The highest statistical data is Friday night , early hours of Saturday mornings .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just like many motorbike riders without helmets, same goes to many drivers who seems to disregard wearing seat belts

(I admit, I'm one of them) driving around town...( although my car is a much more safety protected than a Toyota Vios)...

Yeah, I think I'll wear a helmet in my Hummer now. It's much safer when I read about all those horrifying accidents. 😂

• Sad 3

Very sad.  But it's not uncommon for people to speculate about the causes of tragic deaths like this - they happen on almost a daily basis, and it's just part of the nature of this type of Forum.