Foreigner Assaults Phuket Tuk Tuk Driver Over Fare Disagreement

webfact

1 minute ago, Jackbenimble said:

I haven't read all the posts but nobody seems to have mentioned that under the street lights and/or in the dark Thai money is hard to see properly and 1000thb notes look like 100thb notes - especially when you are a bit tipsy. Many a time I've taken a motorcycle taxi home and I find out in the morning that a 200thb ride home has cost me considerably more because the notes look so similar. 

The brit was drunk and it was dark and they were under streetlights........and he hadn't been here very long. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he gave the driver X amount and I wouldn't be surprised if the driver saw an opportunity to make a few extra baht.

The motorcycle taxis that take me home never tell me I have given them too much.....its not a scam though, its an error on my part. 

Or...the Brit was drunk and was mistaken about the amount he had given the driver. The dashcam might be able to help clarify that.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I'm only saying that REGARDLESS of whether the taxi driver cheated him (short-changed him), that does not justify an assault. That's my only point here. 

No meaning trying to explain. Some people will never understand. The one you discuss with is one of them. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No meaning trying to explain. Some people will never understand. The one you discuss with is one of them. 

Was it a Luxury Cab......?......😂

44 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

He's been detained by police. End of story. If it looks like duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a F'ing duck.

Could be a small goose? 

I am just surprised why the tuk-tuk driver is not asking for the extra 300 baht for the trip? 

"Abdulla, a tuk-tuk driver, stated that he picked up the British guy, Mr. Graham, from the Patong area and drove him to a hotel in Karon, Mueang Phuket District, for 400 baht. When they arrived at the hotel, Mr. Graham claimed to have given the driver a 1,000-baht Thai cash and demanded change. However, Abdulla asserted that it was merely a 100-baht note."

He's a very generous driver to forego 75% of the agreed fare, wouldn't you agree? 

As far as I am concerned I am going to side with the Brit on this one - I reckon the driver, though he could make some easy money from a pissed tourist by claiming he only gave him 100 baht (not 1000) hoping the tourist would be too drunk to notice.  Tuk -Tuk, Win motorcye etc their all mafia and very prone to violence as countless stories over the years have shown and the Brits 'assult' was feeble at best when considering the levels of violence given to visitors to this lovely kingdom.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Look go away, it was a mistake. 

You said in my haste, really, were you there when I submitted the comment?

Do you have a crystal ball that you can look into and see how people react to comments? 

You're being paranoid, I wasn't bashing British or English, I was bashing a thug, if it was an Aussie or American I'd post the same. Are you a thug, you are obviously against my hate towards this thug. 

You should get some help, go see a doctor and get some medication for your condition. I feel sorry for you, you have some problems. 

If you going to be the correction policeman on AN forums, ask the AN  management for a wage, you may even get a little badge to pin on your shirt, until then get a life, stop being a pest and go annoy someone else. 

BTW, this thread alone has dozens of errors, will you be attacking other members for their errors within their comments?

Don't bother me again with your weird thoughts, you are a very, very strange person. 

Oh dear oh dear !😁

Just now, Goat said:

The drivers work for a pittance and usually do not own the tuk tuk.

So, does that mean you think it OK to stitch-up customers.......?   :guitar:

1 minute ago, Goat said:

No, what it means to me is that I give them a generous tip, rather than short changing them and belting them.

More BS............🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

He's been detained by police. End of story. If it looks like duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a F'ing duck.

It looks like the Brit was asking for his money back.  So the driver must have scammed him?  OK.  Glad you could be honest about that.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/1/2024 at 10:12 AM, khunpin said:

Obviously one more pissed animal from the island in the Atlantic Ocean - formerly belonging to the EU. 

Formerly belonging to the British.

3 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

Formerly belonging to the British.

Just like Thailand formerly belonged to the Thais, until the Chinese turned up and bought everything. 

29 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It looks like the Brit was asking for his money back.  So the driver must have scammed him?  OK.  Glad you could be honest about that.

Is that a reason for violence in your world?

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

Any kind of violence, against people, providing a service for foreigners, is wrong. When in a foreign country, we need to remain respectful, at all times.

If there is a problem, call the police and resolve it, this way.
Hitting or even slapping someone, is completely out of order, especially when abroad. 

"If there is a problem, call the police and resolve it, this way." 🙂 

Not been here long have you?

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 2

As he was probably pissed it's likely the tourist did only give 100 baht.  Thai taxi drivers are right scammers but I think in this instance it's probably a pissed tourist getting himself bang at it.  

6 minutes ago, paulikens said:

wouldn't the tourist handing over the note be shown on the cam as well?  Although maybe would be too hard to see what kind of note it was.  

That's all by the by now. 

It's going to prove a very expensive journey for the falang. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Confuscious said:

The tuk-tuk's in Krabi/Phuket are Daihatsu Cabs.
Their driver cabin looks like a taxi.

tuk-tuk-central-festival.jpg

Thank you.  

On 5/1/2024 at 4:09 AM, sambum said:

And if he did hand over 500 or 1000 baht for the 400 baht trip?

There was a camera in the tuk tuk which you could see the money and

what was happening. If the driver was scamming he would not dare going to the police.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, transam said:

We know, you're late, and it would seem you have never been ripped off by a taxi driver, plus you are protecting the taxi driver here when the passenger was clearly heard saying, "Give me my money".........Hmmmmm............:coffee1:

Was the assault justified then? 
(Not that you personally think so or would attack somebody over money just trying to understand the thesis underlying some of the opinions here)

Edited by Captain Monday

I for one am sick & tired of the Thai Media (Including english only ones) jumping straight behind the locals and editorialising about EVIL FOREIGNERS even when all the facts are sketchy at best.

I travel to Thailand twice a year and treat myself to a high end hotel stay in BKK at the end of my stay. Every time, without fail, the cabbie tries to charge me 3000 - 5000 baht for an early morning ride from Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi Airport. I just throw 500 baht at him (even that is too much) and walk away. They carry on a bit but when I mention "Tourist Police" they always back off.

I can not, and do not condone violence but I can understand someone losing it when time and time again these parasites try to rip off the unsuspecting tourist, backed up by corrupt police. It seems it only escalates to physical intervention when there is alcohol involved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Was the assault justified then? 
(Not that you personally think so or would attack somebody over money just trying to understand the thesis underlying some of the opinions here)

Not really, but if it happened to me, after a few shandy's, who knows....🤗

7 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

There was a camera in the tuk tuk which you could see what was happening. If the driver were scamming, he would not dare go to the police.

He would certainly go to the Police because they are all part of the same gang down there. 

Show us the video where the farang pays. Simple. 

The fact that the video does not show the transaction and the money changing hands, and starts from a later point, leads me to believe the farang was telling the truth.

Yes, I know two wrongs don't make a right.