Unprecedented Heatwave Spurs High Power Demand in Thailand

webfact

In true Orwellian fashion the media has targeted housewives.  Posters, leaflets, phone messages and women's tv shows have aired the message 'put the aircon to 27 or it will bomb!'.  Which basically means save Thailand some money and crank up the heat in your homes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I feel sorry for all you schmucks who chose to reside anywhere north of BKK

What were you thinking?

Some circumstances dictate being there.   Although more than enough info now, if researching to avoid being stuck in heavy air pollution.

24 years ago, not sure what info available, as I didn't look for it ... oops  But once there, due to my own circumstances, couldn't leave Udon Thani area till wee one was done high school.  Yea, then we were gone rather quick.  Actually had a place rented below Hua Hin, before she even graduated :cheesy:

There 16 years longer than I wanted to be, but got away 3 months of the year.  Air purifiers & ACs, just adapt and make the best of it.   Daughter stuck in Krung Thep area for now, as that's where the money is.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

These figures are definitely under reported. In our village alone we have one death and one in ICU. 

One guy was fishing in a pond thinking that the water would keep him cool not realizing that the sun was reflecting off the water and he was getting a double dose. He had a heart attack and was very fortunate to be pulled out before he drowned. He is the one in ICU.

The other case is very tragic, an old guy was out in his field alone burning the stubble when he was overcome by the heat. His burned body was found later by his family.

I am fortunate to have solar so have dedicated a room with aircon for our 5 dogs all month.

I have been living in Thailand for 20 years and this is the hottest I’ve ever seen it. 

IMG_3996.thumb.jpeg.53202548234ff807a225f7790ea216b4.jpeg

You can run aircon 24/7 purely on solar?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You can run aircon 24/7 purely on solar?

If you have ESS/battery back up.   We do, and sleep in AC comfort, under the covers :cheesy:

We use 6-8kWh over the non producing hours, ~1800-0800 hrs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, patman30 said:

you again? go away
i will explain it slowly for you so you understand
"brand new second hand" simply means brand new to me but second hand
for example, when some says "i just bought a new car"
and they expect others to read their mind and understand it is actually a second hand car
see how words matter
The term that has also been used in music SINCE 1975 to describe something that might be new but not original
or music that is new and taking inspiration from something old
depending on whether you ask Roots Manuva or Peter Tosh

i add 🤡s to ignore list, goodbye.

"Papa's got a brand new bag" So was it really new or just new to him?

1 hour ago, JGon said:

I knew months in advance that this year was going to be the hottest summer because of what is called the ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation ). In "El Niño" conditions SE Asia gets hotter and drier than usual... add the higher AQI numbers and a strong heat wave and you get this. Thankfully seems like the rains are back from May 6th onwards... 

The weather has been deviating from the norm for the last 7 years or so, a heatwave at some point was an almost certainty.

The norm for this area was no rain from Nov till around Songkran and then in 2016 there was no rain until about June, then in Jan 2017 we had some rain, unprecedented. Since then the amount of rain between NY and Songkran has steadily increased.

The problem with Thailand is the weather can be very localised and Mr Google not as informed as some may think. I have no mains water supply, we collect our own with a well for backup, so rain quite an important factor. We usually plan to  go away in May in case dry spell protracted but this year would have been ok, enough water till end of month, well run out about 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Gosh! Another year, another "hot season" marked by temperatures in the 40's, the hottest areas in the North (Tak and Lampang).

The only difference (in the 30 years I've been living here) is the reporting and the "fiery" graphics used.. 🤪

Did you bother to read the opening post before replying or just look at the picture?

The Thai Meteorological Department reported that over three dozen districts across the country's 77 provinces experienced their highest ever temperatures for April”

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This extreme heat has caused a surge in electricity consumption, with a record peak of 36,699 megawatts on April 29, marking the third record-breaking demand in a week.

Who'd have thunk that.   :coffee1:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, patman30 said:

for the righteous i have solar and drive an EV .. that is you ... Yes, you are fortunate to able to do what you do and live how you live, be grateful  ...  the vast majority of people cannot live like you ... the vast majority of people use their cars during the day ...  the vast majority of people cannot afford solar

.... BS
the vast majority of people cannot afford a brand new second hand car, let alone a new EV

... BS
the vast majority of people do not have 30 minutes to wait for a charge on long journeys

... BS
the vast majority of people cannot afford to replace a disposable EV every few years

... BS
the vast majority of people cannot afford to signal their virtue in such ways

if the grid cannot meet the demands of aircons being run on high
imagine how bad it would get when everyone got home from work and charged their EV

They can and they could if they managed their finances better, Thais & expats, and were practical in the purchases & lifestyle.   I've lived a poor & meager life :cheesy: almost my whole life, in the USA, with some exceptions, compared to my peers.  OK, I splurged a lot, but always with pocket money, not borrowed.

Only owned ! new vehicle.   Never lived in a stand alone house, by myself or with GF/wife.   Had a 4 bedroom detached house, but made it a triplex.   That and other houses (row houses) in crap neighborhoods, were investments.  Where friends and family would never live, as they need to impress their friends and family, by barely living within their means.

Got to have that new car (financed), every 3 years.   I bought 1, and it was a work truck, and entry level at that.

Any and all extra funds, went into investing into my future, not spending on the present.   Didn't want for anything, but didn't waste money trying to impress people.

Got to retire at 45, and impressed myself.   Now here, I still play the long game.  Don't rent, wasted money.  Our solar & EVs save us over 85k a year in electric & petrol costs.  Having solar & EV is money well spent.

How many expats here have a new big ol' truck or 4X4,or SUV they don't need.   Or drink 6 large beers every night.  What's that, knocking on 70-80 baht a bottle X 6 = 400-500 baht.  Times 30 day, hmm, sounds like the cost of an entry solar system if saved for a year.  Assuming in house, and not from the barstool.

I've never needed a car while living in TH, and a scooter would have sufficed.  That's 10k baht a month, for the privilege of owning a new car.   Daughter just bought, and 20 or 30% down and payment will still be 15k a month/4 years.   But she needs, along with <2% interest, almost free money rate as inflation is higher.  Wise use of other peoples money.

People need to learn, "if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it".   You don't borrow money for things that depreciate.

"The percentage you're paying is too high priced
While you're living beyond all your means
And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
From the profit he's made on your dreams"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Did you bother to read the opening post before replying or just look at the picture?

The Thai Meteorological Department reported that over three dozen districts across the country's 77 provinces experienced their highest ever temperatures for April”

And how many of the "over three dozen districts across the country's 77 provinces " had weather stations 30 years ago?

Whichever year they started recording would have been their "highest ever".

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, patman30 said:

you again? go away
i will explain it slowly for you so you understand
"brand new second hand" simply means brand new to me but second hand
for example, when some says "i just bought a new car"
and they expect others to read their mind and understand it is actually a second hand car
see how words matter
The term that has also been used in music SINCE 1975 to describe something that might be new but not original
or music that is new and taking inspiration from something old
depending on whether you ask Roots Manuva or Peter Tosh

i add 🤡s to ignore list, goodbye.

So, why didn´t you explain that so everyone understands, then? It was you that said words matter, wasn´t it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

These figures are definitely under reported. In our village alone we have one death and one in ICU. 

One guy was fishing in a pond thinking that the water would keep him cool not realizing that the sun was reflecting off the water and he was getting a double dose. He had a heart attack and was very fortunate to be pulled out before he drowned. He is the one in ICU.

The other case is very tragic, an old guy was out in his field alone burning the stubble when he was overcome by the heat. His burned body was found later by his family.

I am fortunate to have solar so have dedicated a room with aircon for our 5 dogs all month.

I have been living in Thailand for 20 years and this is the hottest I’ve ever seen it. 

IMG_3996.thumb.jpeg.53202548234ff807a225f7790ea216b4.jpeg

Yes, it's hot.

And what's more, your car needs valeting.

1 hour ago, patman30 said:

for the righteous i have solar and drive an EV
that is you  I have solar and an EV but you say I’m righteous, I never claimed it.

Yes, you are fortunate to able to do what you do and live how you live, be grateful

Yes I am but it’s the same for every expat living in Thailand 

the vast majority of people cannot live like you

the same for every expat living in Thailand 

the vast majority of people use their cars during the day

EV owners can charge at night using TOU half price electric,  but you didn’t know that. With average journeys most people would only need to charge once a week when they were doing something else like shopping but you didn’t know that

the vast majority of people cannot afford solar

better to borrow the money to buy solar as it makes good financial sense with a 5 year payback, but you didn’t know that

the vast majority of people cannot afford a brand new second hand car, let alone a new EV

The Neta V EV is cheaper than a suzuki swift and even cheaper second hand, but you didn’t know that

the vast majority of people do not have 30 minutes to wait for a charge on long journeys

but you didn’t know that new EVs can add 350km of range in 20 minutes 

the vast majority of people cannot afford to replace a disposable EV every few years

EVs come with 8 years warranty including the battery but you didn’t know that

the vast majority of people cannot afford to signal their virtue in such ways

EV haters always accuse EV owners of “virtue signaling” while all the time signaling their own ignorance 

if the grid cannot meet the demands of aircons being run on high
imagine how bad it would get when everyone got home from work and charged their EV

Not true but you didn’t know that. It’s clearly too complicated for you to understand so I won’t waste any more of my time trying to educate you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) sales in Thailand surged by 603% year-on-year to 73,568 units last year, with the upward trend expected to continue throughout this year, as per the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI).

https://aseannow.com/topic/1321870-thai-ev-sales-surge-by-603-amid-government-incentives/

For old ladies and underage kids.

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Well spotted. I didn't bother with much of the OP at all. Every time there is a smidge of "extreme" heat, rain, drought, or cold snap; it's "breaking all previous records", blah blah. You still taking these headlines at face value?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Talk about basement, you do have one, right?

Russian strategic bomber command has access to OSINT data. We are trying to get your house 🏠 off tonight's list, but there is a significant language barrier and "give a fork about solar" didn't translate well.

You are probably out on one of your O&A anyway, right......right???

I don't know what that means.  Didn't know what OSINT was, or there's a list ? :cheesy:

Google search probably would bring that up, or if follow me enough on AN, I've posted maps to/from the house enough times.  Think I even posted a vid, driving from house to the surf, if needing a visual aid :coffee1:

My life is an open book, nothing to hide.   Only trolls, liars & criminals do that.  I've had people threaten me on other forums, and gave them directions to the house and told them to stop over anytime :cheesy:

Just get your affairs in order before showing up :cheesy:  No takers :coffee1:

I guess all the Farangs, on this column, have plenty of money for the EV and solar - many many Thais do not. Open your eyes, this is a third-world country!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Chassa said:

I guess all the Farangs, on this column, have plenty of money for the EV and solar - many many Thais do not. Open your eyes, this is a third-world country!

With USD Thai billionaires living here, and more than a few millionaires.   Who do you think is driving all those 3-5-5M baht cars ?  It's not the expats waiting for the pension to be deposited or sitting on the barstools.  

2022 Ranking of USD millionaires by country - wiki

image.png.4f0b5eb4bd568471a06e3c80f18e6d04.png

image.png.489603c644f29733f2023dd3e52e440c.png

image.png.698e8ee131b400e5d3a18f0ab5ca895f.png

Who do you think is buying all these ?  HINT: it's not the lowly farangs :coffee1:

I haven't seen a farang in a BEV yet, locally or while O&A.   Either too stupid, or too poor.

"Topping the EV chart in Thailand for 2023 is BYD, which sold 30,650 EVs last year, followed by Neta in second place with 12,777 EVs and MG in third with 12,764 EVs. Fourth in the list of top-selling EV brands in Thailand last year is Tesla with 8,206 cars, with Ora of Great Wall Motor rounding up the top five with 6,746 electric cars sold."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chassa said:

Open your eyes Thailand is changing while you were sleeping 

Thailand accounted for over 75% of BEV sales in South East Asia during Q1 2023

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/insights/sea-bev-sales-q1-2023/

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Chassa said:

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) sales in Thailand surged by 603% year-on-year to 73,568 units last year, with the upward trend expected to continue throughout this year, as per the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI).

https://aseannow.com/topic/1321870-thai-ev-sales-surge-by-603-amid-government-incentives/

For old ladies and underage kids.

What are you saying? EVs are only for old ladies and kids?
If so you are again showing your ignorance of EVs. My new Seal AWD does 0-100kph in 3.8 seconds 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chassa said:

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) sales in Thailand surged by 603% year-on-year to 73,568 units last year, with the upward trend expected to continue throughout this year, as per the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI). ... For old ladies and underage kids.

I didn't see this post, or I would have ignored your later post, as obvious you're just trolling

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Interesting. How big are your system and how much space does it require?

A better question would be how many kms does he drive them. Solar power is puny.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They can and they could if they managed their finances better, Thais & expats, and were practical in the purchases & lifestyle.   I've lived a poor & meager life :cheesy: almost my whole life, in the USA, with some exceptions, compared to my peers.  OK, I splurged a lot, but always with pocket money, not borrowed.

Only owned ! new vehicle.   Never lived in a stand alone house, by myself or with GF/wife.   Had a 4 bedroom detached house, but made it a triplex.   That and other houses (row houses) in crap neighborhoods, were investments.  Where friends and family would never live, as they need to impress their friends and family, by barely living within their means.

Got to have that new car (financed), every 3 years.   I bought 1, and it was a work truck, and entry level at that.

Any and all extra funds, went into investing into my future, not spending on the present.   Didn't want for anything, but didn't waste money trying to impress people.

Got to retire at 45, and impressed myself.   Now here, I still play the long game.  Don't rent, wasted money.  Our solar & EVs save us over 85k a year in electric & petrol costs.  Having solar & EV is money well spent.

How many expats here have a new big ol' truck or 4X4,or SUV they don't need.   Or drink 6 large beers every night.  What's that, knocking on 70-80 baht a bottle X 6 = 400-500 baht.  Times 30 day, hmm, sounds like the cost of an entry solar system if saved for a year.  Assuming in house, and not from the barstool.

I've never needed a car while living in TH, and a scooter would have sufficed.  That's 10k baht a month, for the privilege of owning a new car.   Daughter just bought, and 20 or 30% down and payment will still be 15k a month/4 years.   But she needs, along with <2% interest, almost free money rate as inflation is higher.  Wise use of other peoples money.

People need to learn, "if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it".   You don't borrow money for things that depreciate.

"The percentage you're paying is too high priced
While you're living beyond all your means
And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
From the profit he's made on your dreams"

TLDR
and no, not everyone could if they managed their finances better.
the fact you needed to ramble on so much proves my point

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1