Thai EV sales surge by 603% amid government incentives

webfact

image.jpeg

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) sales in Thailand surged by 603% year-on-year to 73,568 units last year, with the upward trend expected to continue throughout this year, as per the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI).

This growth is expected to outstrip that of internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles, which witnessed a 13.7% year-on-year sales decline to 238,570 units in 2023, capturing a 30.7% market share in the passenger car segment. However, BEVs claimed a 9.4% market share in the same segment.

Despite Apple Inc.’s recent announcement of scrapping its decade-long effort to manufacture EVs, promising EV sales are attracting more investment from car and tech developers.

The state EV incentive packages have been instrumental in making EV prices more affordable, thereby catalysing the demand for EVs, stated Surapong Paisitpatanapong, vice-chairman of the FTI and spokesman for its Automotive Industry Club. The government has unveiled three packages to stimulate the production and consumption of EVs.

Last month, the National Electric Vehicle Policy Committee sanctioned incentives to encourage companies to transition their commercial fleets of large trucks and buses to BEVs. These incentives include a tax deduction granted to eligible companies, effective until December 31, 2025. The committee also approved cash grants for EV battery cell manufacturers.

The Thai EV industry is also being driven by the EV3.5 and EV3.0 schemes previously launched by the government, according to Surapong. EV3.5, running from 2024 to 2027, comprises subsidies ranging between 5,000 (US$140) to 100,000 baht (US$2,814) for imported electric cars and motorcycles, alongside reductions in import duties and excise tax. EV manufacturers participating in EV3.5 are required to start domestic EV production in 2026.

During the Prayut Chan-o-cha administration, the committee approved EV3.0, including tax cuts and subsidies to promote EV consumption and production between 2022 and 2023. The subsidies vary from 70,000 baht (US$1,970) to 150,000 baht (US$4,221) depending on the vehicle type and model, with lower excise tax and import duties on completely knocked-down and completely built-up units.

EV confidence

The incentives, combined with the economic sentiment in Thailand, will instil confidence among potential car buyers, encouraging them to purchase EVs. If the prices of BEVs, particularly imports, are between 600,000 (US$16,887) and 1 million baht (US$28,145), more people are likely to buy these cars, said Surapong.

Krisda Utamote, president of the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand (EVAT), attributed the rapid EV market growth to high oil prices, technological advancements, and environmental concerns.

In January this year, BEV sales in the country accounted for 17.8% of total car sales, according to the Automotive Industry Club. The government has set a target for BEVs to constitute 30% of total car manufacturing by 2030, producing 725,000 zero-emission cars, 675,000 electric motorcycles, and 34,000 electric buses and trucks.

Surapong dismissed the belief that a limited number of EV charging outlets, especially in public places, will impact EV sales and production. With the growing demand for EVs, developers and operators of charging facilities are expected to increase their numbers, making chargers more publicly accessible, reported Bangkok Post.

Apple plans to transfer employees working on the EV project to the artificial intelligence division, as per a Bloomberg News report. This decision comes as several EV makers, primarily car companies in China, announced or are pondering more investment in EV assembly and battery manufacturing.

by Alex Morgan

Photo courtesy of iStock

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In case you want to buy one maybe have a look at the following video - and maybe think again.

This is just one of many videos from people who are not so excited about EVs - and not just one sided. 

It seems the Chinese EV market isn't in such a 'fantastic' shape as Thailand then with the majority of EV sales in Thailand being from China.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Yup, I purchased a Tesla and I regret it.

Next car I purchase will be a hybrid......

The latest Toyota Hybrids are something special...I think they've seen the light and are backing away from full EV's

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) sales in Thailand surged by 603% year-on-year to 73,568 units last year

With the numbers on the road in Pattaya lately, I can believe at least 50,000 of those were sold in this city, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes the activists have pushed Govts into doing what they want and the idiots in Govt have done that without realising the details. A mate of mione has a Tesla - it is the only electric car I would ever buy.  But the advice of Elon about what the Govts should do about the quality and stabndards of EV vehicles was ignored - they and the activists see him as the bogeyman. Both siders have done it, but that is especially true with left wing Govts.   

I would not touch a Tesla with a barge pole. Even Musk is admitting the BYD brand is better.

Teslas rate well with their owners. They rate far less well with major reviewers of build quality and reliability.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, happysoul said:

It's amazing how many people take the EV road in Thailand despite having max chargers capacity of 11kWh

Who cares? I use a motorbike 90% of the time. My EV can charge for days. I don't need or want a fast charger.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

In Australia we call that 'product dumping'. China never plays fair. 

In Aus you have no protectionist tariffs. A truly open market. China plays as fair as any other country. I am so happy we live in SEA, without western nanny govts telling me what I can buy and at what price.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1