Thai Maid Inherited Fortune from French Boss

Vultures fly!

I wonder if the Thai gov or lawyers get involved to reduce the amount of monies to the maid….

the smartest thing the maid could do is to hire an honest lawyer to walk her thru the process and protect her now assets

it is also sad the French lady had no close friends/family nearby or afar….

this suicide was preventable…yes, the maid was loyal and close by but was she someone who the French lady could talk with about issues? It doesn’t sound like it…

it started with and ended with a superior to inferior role….the French lady made all the decisions and plans by herself…the maid was taken care b/c the French lady had no one to confide in and talk with at her level…

movie making materiel….rosebud - hint hint 

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Prior to her death, Catherine had drawn up a legal will allocating her entire wealth to her housemaid, Nattawalai Phupongta, who had been in her service for more than 17 years.

Apart from the sad death of the lady she did good in the end.

Rewarding her faithful maid who had served her for seventeen years.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, mfd101 said:

In Thailand excessive good fortune - splendidly announced across all news channels - is bound to attract fortune hunters of all kinds: family, 'advisers' some legit & some criminal, common criminals ... There's no end of negative possibilities. A poor person, probably ill-educated to handle the situation, is in a dangerous place.

Happens anywhere, which is why most who win millions in the various lotteries don't publicise the fact. Apparently, in the UK and Ireland there have been thousands that have become millionaires, but you don't read about it. They keep quiet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

World's most ugly garden.

Nothing wrong with her garden beautiful compared to mine at least she doesn't have a horse running around eating her mango trees.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Lots of butlers inherited wealth from their employees My friend had a hundred thousand bought his first flat in London with it. 

His employer would come down for breakfast every morning Stark naked with the Robin Hood hat on with the feather sticking out. Left them 100,000 and that was in the early '90s. He only worked for him a few months. 

For those don't know I'm talking about the late Queen's Head Footman that was caught cottaging in Oxford circus.

He went on to be a butler with his first job he worked for 3 months and the employer died and he inherited £100,000 from the estate. Moral of the story getting caught for cottaging in Oxford circus is probably one of the best things that happened to his career.

Edited by arick
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, zhounan said:

I'm quite interested to know what is the opinion of netizens in this case. Are they blaming the farang?

For What prey tell?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, roo860 said:

50 million 

Not a farang- she has a personal identity as a French woman. Let's have some respect

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, roo860 said:

50 million 

Not just a farang- she has a personal identity as a French woman. Let's have some respect

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Pity that a woman had to end up her life in such way and leaving everything to a stranger maid

while I'm sure that she had siblings and relatives back home not being on a good terms with any of them

enviously enough to leave her worldly possessions to them...

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Not a farang- she has a personal identity as a French woman. Let's have some respect

Let's wind our neck in as well, you're not a mod, if you don't like it report it, was nothing disrespectful in my comment. 

• Confused 1

Newton's third law is at play here.

A nice and thoughtful gesture will hopefully enhance and better the life of another at the expense of one's own.

RIP

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Pity that a woman had to end up her life in such way and leaving everything to a stranger maid

while I'm sure that she had siblings and relatives back home not being on a good terms with any of them

enviously enough to leave her worldly possessions to them...

Not a stranger.. If you had read the article you would have known that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 'maid' better pray the media circus goes away quickly, or people will start asking how the French women is able to own land, next thing the government will be forced to act and scrutinize use of shell companies to hold land for the whole island 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

1714711481_098249-tnamcot-768x430.jpg.jpg

A French expatriate living in Surat Thani, Thailand, committed suicide and left her fortune to her loyal Thai housekeeper. Catherine, 59, took her own life on April 29 at her residence in Koh Samui district, where she resided for over a decade.

Catherine's body was found with a single gunshot wound and no signs of a break-in or theft. CCTV footage showed her using her laptop and adjusting a security camera at her home on the day before her death.

Catherine, who had recently divorced and suffered from cancer, reportedly left behind an estimated fortune of upwards of 50 million baht.

Prior to her death, Catherine had drawn up a legal will allocating her entire wealth to her housemaid, Nattawalai Phupongta, who had been in her service for more than 17 years.

Nattawalai, also known as Aunt Tim, was informed about Catherine's suicide the following day. She had received a message from Catherine just before the incident, where she noted that all her wages and bills had been completely paid. In addition, Catherine had transferred 500,000 baht for her funeral costs.

Nattawalai expressed her gratitude to Catherine and vowed to organize a fitting farewell.

Picture courtesy of TNA-MCOT

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I learned on TV that the will was written on a computer and not by hand. So the authorities will have a say on it😵‍💫. It's not valid😩

• Confused 1

It appears the lady lived alone. Didn't the maid live-in? Seems not, the article says she was informed the next day. So she didn't discover the body, then who did? If maid/friend for 17 years, why didn't she live in when her boss had cancer? How did the lady have a gun? A lot of unanswered questions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It appears the lady lived alone. Didn't the maid live-in? Seems not, the article says she was informed the next day. So she didn't discover the body, then who did? If maid/friend for 17 years, why didn't she live in when her boss had cancer? How did the lady have a gun? A lot of unanswered questions.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, jvs said:

Any assets in Thailand will be dealt with according to Thai law.

If she did not mention any one else in her will everything will go to the maid.

I saw on the news that there are already Thai people who are claiming they should receive the money.

So called friends who have not hat any contact for many years!

They smell money!

If As stated there is a Legal will then Courts generally side with the express wishes of the deceased.

4 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

Keep investigating and let us know..

I'm sure this will all end with 'Older and Wiser', rounding up all the suspects in the dining-room of the villa, where he finally unveils whodunnit...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Watching the Thai Tv News giving attention to this event in a way that mostly ignores the tragic suicide aspect of it and, instead, concentrating on a lottery-like winning experience by the Thai maid, I cannot keep myself from thinking that this is actually what most of the Thais expect all the rich farangs to do one day: give them all their money and disappear (one way or another). Some wait until farang dies from the natural causes, some are luckier. Now, finally, we know the exact formula: good farang = dead farang. 

Edited by Hellfire
  • Sad 1

In.my comment earlier, I stated that the deceased was not a farang. This is not what I intended to literally convey. 

My point is about how we refer to people depending on circumstances. 

A farang is a word used for a white person, man or woman in general. In any discussion involving a particular person we then usually know their native country and further aspects of a story refer to this. 

In this topic, we know it is a woman, from France and we even know her name. She is now deceased and just saying she is a farang denies their personal identity we know she has. 

When we know the identity it is respectful to refer to it. Example, if the farang is known to  be a Brit or Swedish, then those references are used in this forum

• Thumbs Up 1