Have people in Thailand gotten less friendly/happy overall, or is it me?

6 hours ago, andux said:

Not too many years ago, whenever I interacted with a stranger at a 7-11, pharmacy, or similar, people were almost always friendly, smiled a lot, etc. I remember that sometimes I left my house in a bad mood, but a quick stop to buy something at any store put me in a great mood almost instantly because store clerks were happy, smiling, friendly, etc.

Nowadays, I don't get too many smiles from strangers anymore, especially from store clerks, even if I'm being friendly and smiling myself. Most don't reciprocate anymore and work silently and without showing any expression. Many don't even bother to talk at all and don't tell me the price anymore (I'm supposed to read it on the screen, I guess). I speak Thai, by the way, so it's not a language issue.

This doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but I noticed that I don't receive even basic politeness in at least half of my interactions.

The land of smiles seem to be a thing of the past in my experience, except from those who are trying to sell me something. Now, when someone approaches with a smile, I know they are coming to sell me insurance or are looking for donations.

I don't seem to have changed much myself. I dress the same, I weigh the same. But maybe I'm just a few years older and uglier and people want to avoid me? But the thing is that I was in Europe recently and people seemed much happier and polite, when in the past I always perceived this as being the other way around (Thai people being more friendly and polite).

Could it be that people in Thailand nowadays are generally less happy than before? Inflation, low salaries, debt, the political situation... I wonder if these things have erased the smiles from a lot of people's faces.

Anyways, interested to know about others' experiences.

In my opinion based on communicating with friends in the US, and seeing news articles from around the world and my experiences here in Thailand over the last 50 years - yes I do think that almost everywhere the general public is not very happy.  This also seems to be why violence seems to be the reaction of way too many people nowadays.  Scary but maybe life will get better and society will come around again to the more pleasant reactions.  I try to chat with salespeople who seem down and usually that ends up with them smiling but not always.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

who's faults that then?

rule number 1 to becoming rich : never live beyond your means.

I used to sleep on a wooden floor with no furniture when i first moved here.

Now I am rolling in it.

I don't owe a single cent to anyone.

bob.

To qoute Leonard Cohen, "You were born to judge the world,  forgive me but I wasn't."

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Many years ago westerners in Thailand spoke politely, dressed well, and behaved well. Accordingly, Thais were friendly and helpful. They have less regard for us these days due to the decline in our standards.

• Sad 3

I've been living in rural Thailand for 10 years and everyone still seems happy to see me (or at least smiles). I can't really notice any changes in peoples' attitudes over this time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It isn't just Thailand, it's happening everywhere.

In the West we are in a permanent emergency/crisis (covid, war, climate). People are scared and getting poorer (the middle class is being destroyed).

Thailand has been affected by the covid pandemic only and some inflation due to covid and the war. But I'd say that the West is in a much worse condition. Economically and socially.

I find the people here to still be friendly and smiling, but less than before. The occasional 'hate you look' didn't happen before. And they are direct on money more than before.

Jm2cent

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The real Thai smile vanished decades ago.

Thailand isn't alone. I have not been in any country this century where the people are happy. Modern life sucks biggly.

Disagree, where I live the Thai smile is just the same

• Like 1

Never had a problem with interaction with the Thai staff at my local Tops always helpful and with a smile on their faces 

Even pointing out bargain deals to me it's a pleasure shopping there .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pub2022 said:

(the middle class is being destroyed).

The current rate of consumption of human beings is unsustainable.

The planet will be destroyed if the middle class doesn't. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Walker88 said:

While there are some things unpleasant in today's world, life is largely as great as it has ever been, and certainly better than most times going back thousands of years.

There's no way Thailand is better now than in 2016.  That's insane.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Wow! I couldn't disagree more.

While there are some things unpleasant in today's world, life is largely as great as it has ever been, and certainly better than most times going back thousands of years. People are more equal under the law than at any time in human history. For anyone in a developed country, it has never been easier to gain knowledge and---if one is so inclined---to rise to a economic position, and with more conveniences, than the wealthiest people in the world a hundred years ago. It has never been easier to become stinking rich, if that is one's goal. Also, almost the entire body of human knowledge is within easy reach, owing to the internet and web. That is an astonishing advantage and a great equalizer. Look around and one can find decent and interesting people most anywhere, too, so long as one is open to it.

As for Thailand, there may well be more pressure on the average person due to rising prices, personal debt and a political system that is designed to never change, but if one behaves politely, most Thais are as friendly as ever. They are looking for a peaceful oasis as much as anyone, so be that oasis and they will respond. Yes, some do judge books by their cover, so the fat, tatted up gruff old foreigner in a wife beater t-shirt may well put some people off and have to work harder to win people over, but be well presented and under emotional control, and few will experience any problem or feel any resentment. (Sometimes foreigners are their own worst enemy...yesterday I was shopping in Siam Paragon and a young 30-ish Western male was walking around that major shopping center shirtless. That isn't going to win friends and influence people in a positive way.)

Though slightly off topic, I have a residence in the countryside of a European nation with a reputation for arrogant and dismissive people. On a recent visit there, the folks were incredibly welcoming and friendly.....in shops, restaurants, the airport, even in my gym. It seems in many places in this world there are pockets of friendliness breaking out. A good many people are simply sick and tired of wallowing in self-pity or depression.

To quote Andy Dufresne, Get busy living or get busy dying.

Too boring to read such a long post. I could have died by the time I had finished reading it😂😂

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me capitalism gone mad is part of unhappiness. 

Thailand is like the Libertarians wet dream. Basically unfettered free market with the exception of some insane taxes on alcohol and tobacco. Essentially no regulations, do whatever you want marketplace. I'm always told American is capitalist but the markets in Thailand are far more free here. Not sure what you mean by capitalism though maybe.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Taking Farang out of the situation, why do people think Thai people are so friendly anyways? Comparing them to Americans I never see them making chat with random people in public like markets, make smalltalk when queuing, customers don't talk to clerks or at restaurants etc... They seem very withdrawn in public and tend to keep their heads down. Americans are more in your face and can be rude but they're also more friendly in my opinion.

It is called culture, Americans are brash, Thais reserved 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Go to any non tourist city and I've always found Thais to be very friendly, great service at restaurants and they seem just happier in general. I can't blame the ones that have to deal with many <deleted>ty, misbehaving tourists all day for being less friendly.

You don't even have to go that far from tourist cities. Bang Saen for example is not that far from Pattaya but the people seem so much friendlier and happier in my experience. 

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Agree 1