VPN on line betting

I have posted a similar thread before but this time a little different .

I have Surfshark VPN that will not connect to William Hill . Always says " you are using a Data centre " . Does anyone connect to W H without problems ? If so what VPN do you use ?  Also my d/load speed test is poor when using SS , only 45 Mbps , not connected 350 Mbps . Have tried changing DNS , protocol and uninstalled / reinstalled , change location but still the same .I understand if you do not want to go public but p/m me if you prefer . All the big VPN companies say they can connect to WH on Google search but they want you to subscribe without a free trial . Maybe B/S ?

The 350 mps is only for domestic usage, not international.  Also, everything is messed-up now because of cable sabotage in the mid-east.  

I use IPVanish. Just tried williamhill.

Wouldn't open their website using Firefox.

Had to connect to the UK and use google to access the website.

I couldn't entet the website as it says I'm using a data center and it says i cant use a data center as they need to check if I can legally gamble in my location.

Screenshot_20240504_104920_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Farma . Does not look promising . However I can connect to Paddy power but I do not like their web page . 

So when is a VPN not a VPN . Virtual private network or very public network ?

I have a VPN on my computer and 1 on my tablet.. but when i goto maps it is still pinpointing my location to Thailand innstead of Japan which i am connecting too.. i see some VPNs on the app store but they want a cc payment first before i can try it..  is there a VPN that will make my tablet think it's really in Japan?  I need it to think its in Japan otherwise this app i'm using won't work like its in Japan..

Posted (edited)

I can log into the bet365 app using ExpressVPN East London server, but unable to log into the William Hill app (but I can open it). Although, I've not bet with WH for quite a few years so could be that my account is somewhat inhibited. I don't receive any data centre warning.

Edited by torturedsole

I use ExpressVPN when in Thailand, usually connecting to UK East London server. Can never log on to Will Hill. Sky bet can be hit and miss but eventually manage to log on after a few tries. Never have an issue logging on to Paddy Power. 

• Thanks 1

Firstly I'm an Australian living in Pattaya. I have shares in racehorses and greyhounds and I use Cyber Ghost VPN so I can not only bet but watch the races. In saying that Cyber Ghost will not allow me to play the Aussie lottery. If I need to do that I use the free version of Hola. In your case I set Cyber Ghost VPN  up for the UK and the William Hill site opened requesting me to log in or join.

• Thanks 1

May I add if you try the free version of Hola VPN it does have a time limit but you can reset that. Even the limited time is enough to get your bets on.

It amazes me that you can bet online to the UK without using a VPN. Actually it's illegal as an online betting agency isn't allowed to accept bets from a country outside of where the bets are placed. One other thing you should consider is the fact that a VPN protects you especially as you live in a country such as Thailand where betting is a complete no no. Its very wise to conceal your identity.

• Agree 1

I've been betting from Thailand for 13 years without using a VPN and Bet365 blocks me if I try to use one. No need to conceal my identity apparently.

• Like 1

If you're able to bet online without a VPN good for you but my point is who's watching you at this end as gambling is illegal in Thailand. All countries have paid officials surveying the internet content in their countries. I consider my VPN as import as my antivirus program as not only does it hide my identity when gambling but also protects my banking details etc,

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Keeps said:

I use ExpressVPN when in Thailand, usually connecting to UK East London server. Can never log on to Will Hill. Sky bet can be hit and miss but eventually manage to log on after a few tries. Never have an issue logging on to Paddy Power. 

Paddy Power I can connect .  Strangely though I got on to the WH site yesterday and placed one bet ( it won ) but when trying to place a second bet it said " you are using a Data centre " so I closed it . What gets me is when you Google search for a VPN that can open WH , they all say they can but that is BS .

Are you all getting a good speed test when connected to your VPN ? Mine takes a dive from 350 Mbps when not using my VPN , down to 20-45 Mbps on Surfshark .

4 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

If you're able to bet online without a VPN good for you but my point is who's watching you at this end as gambling is illegal in Thailand. All countries have paid officials surveying the internet content in their countries. I consider my VPN as import as my antivirus program as not only does it hide my identity when gambling but also protects my banking details etc,

When you use a bookmaker with or without using a VPN, you need a user name and password to log in and when you bank online, again you have a username and password and in my case I even get a phone message with a code before I can continue a transaction. I also have an antevirus and Malwarebytes installed on my computer so I feel pretty safe.

Posted (edited)

Get in touch with Surfshark and tell them to refresh one or more of their UK IP Addresses.  Eventually, as UK expats all around the world see that this Surfshark server works with WH, then WH will blacklist that IP Address and your contact Surfshark again and so the Merry-Go-Round continues. 

If you have friends or family back in the UK, you can VPN into their router, if it's a half decent router, and not locked by the telco.  This requires some technical knowledge of Port Forwarding.  If they are capable of setting it up, get them to email you the VPN configuration file.  If you / they can do this, you are done with WH blacklisting, forever, provided you don't share your personal VPN with 20 of your friends.

For many, this will be too difficult, so, if you don't mind spending a few quid, I suggest you have a look at the below product.  It's plug and play for your friend / relative in the UK.  They do nothing but plug into power and into their router.  Nothing more for them to do.  You then do the same to the companion dongle in Thailand and connect to it's WiFi with a default password, which you can change.

If you buy the companion dongle, there is no annual subscription, ever.  The two mini routers make a constant VPN, and the speed is good.  Whenever you want to go to a UK geoblocked website, you just connect to the AlwaysHome WiFi signal, then, for general surfing in Thailand, you connect to your home router's WiFi signal. 

If you want to just buy the home dongle for your friend / relative, and you use their app, there is an annual fee. 

https://www.homingsystems.com

If all of this is too difficult for you, or your friends or relative,  or you don't want to spend the money, I suggest you try a decentralized VPN.  You pay really small money, usually in the form of crypto, to rent bandwidth off someone in the UK, usually at a residential address. 

Decentralized VPN's are reasonably new in the market.  Due to being pay as you go, I have played with Mysterium and it it works for me.  I keep it as a backup. 

https://www.mysteriumvpn.com

If you persist with commercial VPN's, you will always be getting blacklisted.  The above fixes the problem, permanently. 

I have a commercial VPN for privacy, and a personal VPN back to a router in my home country for geoblocking. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Get in touch with Surfshark and tell them to refresh one or more of their UK IP Addresses.  Eventually, as UK expats all around the world see that this Surfshark server works with WH, then WH will blacklist that IP Address and your contact Surfshark again and so the Merry-Go-Round continues. 

If you have friends or family back in the UK, you can VPN into their router, if it's a half decent router, and not locked by the telco.  This requires some technical knowledge of Port Forwarding.  If they are capable of setting it up, get them to email you the VPN configuration file.  If you / they can do this, you are done with WH blacklisting, forever, provided you don't share your personal VPN with 20 of your friends.

For many, this will be too difficult, so, if you don't mind spending a few quid, I suggest you have a look at the below product.  It's plug and play for your friend / relative in the UK.  They do nothing but plug into power and into their router.  Nothing more for them to do.  You then do the same to the companion dongle in Thailand and connect to it's WiFi with a default password, which you can change.

If you buy the companion dongle, there is no annual subscription, ever.  The two mini routers make a constant VPN, and the speed is good.  Whenever you want to go to a UK geoblocked website, you just connect to the AlwaysHome WiFi signal, then, for general surfing in Thailand, you connect to your home router's WiFi signal. 

If you want to just buy the home dongle for your friend / relative, and you use their app, there is an annual fee. 

If all of this is too difficult for you, or your friends or relative,  or you don't want to spend the money, I suggest you try a decentralized VPN.  You pay really small money, usually in the form of crypto, to rent bandwidth off someone in the UK, usually at a residential address. 

Decentralized VPN's are reasonably new in the market.  Due to being pay as you go, I have played with Mysterium and it it works for me.  I keep it as a backup. 

If you persist with commercial VPN's, you will always be getting blacklisted.  The above fixes the problem, permanently. 

I have a commercial VPN for privacy, and a personal VPN back to a router in my home country for geoblocking. 

Strangely enough , I have been able to connect with W/H for the last 2 days . Just wondering if my complaint to them has made them 

21 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks for some good info which I have never heard of before

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 1:44 AM, superal said:

Strangely enough , I have been able to connect with W/H for the last 2 days . Just wondering if my complaint to them has made them 

Did you complain to WH, or inform Surfshark that one, or all, of their UK servers have been blacklisted by WH?

You should not tell WH anything about what you are doing.  Chances are, somewhere deep in the fine print of their T's & C's, there is a clause you can only use their website, thus place a bet, only from inside the UK, or possibly the EU, which might change after Brexit.  

The fact that it's geoblocked tells me there's a fair chance of this.  If you were to have a big win, they might not pay out if you have corresponded with them about betting on their website from overseas. 

On 5/6/2024 at 1:44 AM, superal said:

Thanks for some good info which I have never heard of before

Do yourself a favor and buy a set of AlwaysHome.  Get the set sent to you and you post the home dongle (router) to the friend or family member of your choice, or have the set sent to them and have them send the companion dongle to you in Thailand.  Be careful not to mix them up.  They look the same, but the home router must be in the UK to work as intended.  They have serial numbers on them.  You could also contact the company and see if they can split the set and post to different addresses, for a fee. 

The dongles (routers) do not look like the ones in the youtube clip anymore.  They are about half the size of a cigarette packet and in a strong aluminium case.  They are still USB powered, but with a cable and wall plug.  All someone in the UK does is plugs it into power, and into their home router.  That's all.  No port forwarding, no settings adjustments.  Zero else to do. 

All you do in Thailand is plug yours into power and your router, and then connect via WiFi to the AlwaysHome router with the default password and you will be on your friend's / relative's IP Address.  To WH, it's as good as you living at that address in the UK. I suggest you chose someone with a decent speed and unlimited internet connection in the UK.  They use next to no electric, so that will not be an issue for them. 

There's nothing magic or new about this.  You can do it yourself with two small travel routers, or Raspberry Pi's. You can even set up a VPN from router to router on some brands.  To do so takes some technical knowledge of port forwarding and and how to use the VPN config file, and you would have to buy some hardware anyway. 

These have all of the configuration done at the factory and you just plug and play.  You will never be geoblocked ever again because you are using a VPN to a residential address in the UK, and not a data center where a VPN company rents a server that could have hundreds, possibly thousands of people, using the same IP Address, with many of them using the WH website, so WH blacklist it because it's obviously a VPN.  

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2024 at 2:38 AM, delgarcon said:

When you use a bookmaker with or without using a VPN, you need a user name and password to log in and when you bank online, again you have a username and password and in my case I even get a phone message with a code before I can continue a transaction. I also have an antevirus and Malwarebytes installed on my computer so I feel pretty safe.

I mentioned in another thread that the day is coming when just about every company will require Two Factor Authentication. (2FA)  This means, you will need a sim card from your home country that is registered to your account.  The best sim cards for this purpose will be Pay As You Go with 365 validity for a small annual fee.  It costs nothing to receive SMS when roaming, so the small annual fee will simply be to keep the sim card on the network.  

I expect to see more and more threads about "how to get a sim card from UK, USA, Europe, Australia etc etc in Thailand" in the future. 

I have one bank account that after I sign in I have to enter a code sent to that country's sim card before I can progress to my account's home screen.  If I'm not in that country at the time, I have to put the sim card in the phone.  Over time, more and more companies will start moving to this extra layer of security. 

I suggest next time members visit their home country, they pick up a cheap PAYG sim card to prepare for 2FA, or, have a friend / relative set one up for you and post it out. 

• Love It 1

22 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Did you complain to WH, or inform Surfshark that one, or all, of their UK servers have been blacklisted by WH?

You should not tell WH anything about what you are doing.  Chances are, somewhere deep in the fine print of their T's & C's, there is a clause you can only use their website, thus place a bet, only from inside the UK, or possibly the EU, which might change after Brexit.  

The fact that it's geoblocked tells me there's a fair chance of this.  If you were to have a big win, they might not pay out if you have corresponded with them about betting on their website from overseas. 

Do yourself a favor and buy a set of AlwaysHome.  Get the set sent to you and you post the home dongle (router) to the friend or family member of your choice, or have the set sent to them and have them send the companion dongle to you in Thailand.  Be careful not to mix them up.  They look the same, but the home router must be in the UK to work as intended.  They have serial numbers on them.  You could also contact the company and see if they can split the set and post to different addresses, for a fee. 

The dongles (routers) do not look like the ones in the youtube clip anymore.  They are about half the size of a cigarette packet and in a strong aluminium case.  They are still USB powered, but with a cable and wall plug.  All someone in the UK does is plugs it into power, and into their home router.  That's all.  No port forwarding, no settings adjustments.  Zero else to do. 

All you do in Thailand is plug yours into power and your router, and then connect via WiFi to the AlwaysHome router with the default password and you will be on your friend's / relative's IP Address.  To WH, it's as good as you living at that address in the UK. I suggest you chose someone with a decent speed and unlimited internet connection in the UK.  They use next to no electric, so that will not be an issue for them. 

There's nothing magic or new about this.  You can do it yourself with two small travel routers, or Raspberry Pi's. You can even set up a VPN from router to router on some brands.  To do so takes some technical knowledge of port forwarding and and how to use the VPN config file, and you would have to buy some hardware anyway. 

These have all of the configuration done at the factory and you just plug and play.  You will never be geoblocked ever again because you are using a VPN to a residential address in the UK, and not a data center where a VPN company rents a server that could have hundreds, possibly thousands of people, using the same IP Address, with many of them using the WH website, so WH blacklist it because it's obviously a VPN.  

On 5/6/2024 at 8:44 AM, superal said:

I mentioned in another thread that the day is coming when just about every company will require Two Factor Authentication. (2FA)  This means, you will need a sim card from your home country that is registered to your account.  The best sim cards for this purpose will be Pay As You Go with 365 validity for a small annual fee.  It costs nothing to receive SMS when roaming, so the small annual fee will simply be to keep the sim card on the network.  

I expect to see more and more threads about "how to get a sim card from UK, USA, Europe, Australia etc etc in Thailand" in the future. 

I have one bank account that after I sign in I have to enter a code sent to that country's sim card before I can progress to my account's home screen.  If I'm not in that country at the time, I have to put the sim card in the phone.  Over time, more and more companies will start moving to this extra layer of security. 

I suggest next time members visit their home country, they pick up a cheap PAYG sim card to prepare for 2FA, or, have a friend / relative set one up for you and post it out. 

I have been paid out on a couple of occasions , both times around 150 pounds on consecutive days . At the moment I can still access W/H although my 3BB connection lets me down sometimes and the W/H site will not perform all instructions or open all aspects .    Speed test shows on average 60 Mbps d/load but I am paying for a V.I.P. service that guarantees 200 Mbps minimum . 3BB techs visit my home and try many speed tests but cannot achieve 200mbps . Then the last tech used his I phone to show 1000 Mbps speed not connected to my wifi  . He must of thought I would believe that . Told him to go . Trouble is that where I live there are no other providers . I mentioned before about using a sim router which my friend uses in the UK at a very much reduced cost ( bar the cost of the Archer 600 router ). Your opinion please , as you seem to have a lot of knowledge . Thanks for your interesting replies to date .

2 hours ago, superal said:

•  
  On 5/6/2024 at 8:44 AM, superal said:

I have been paid out on a couple of occasions , both times around 150 pounds on consecutive days . At the moment I can still access W/H although my 3BB connection lets me down sometimes and the W/H site will not perform all instructions or open all aspects .    Speed test shows on average 60 Mbps d/load but I am paying for a V.I.P. service that guarantees 200 Mbps minimum . 3BB techs visit my home and try many speed tests but cannot achieve 200mbps . Then the last tech used his I phone to show 1000 Mbps speed not connected to my wifi  . He must of thought I would believe that . Told him to go . Trouble is that where I live there are no other providers . I mentioned before about using a sim router which my friend uses in the UK at a very much reduced cost ( bar the cost of the Archer 600 router ). Your opinion please , as you seem to have a lot of knowledge . Thanks for your interesting replies to date .

Sounds like your problem is with a poor internet connection, not the VPN, but it is very common for geoblocked websites to continually blacklist VPN IP Addresses. 

Basically, what happens is, WH will see 50 users, for example, all on their accounts from one IP Address.  This tells them it's a VPN and they blacklist (block) that IP Address. 

VPN's do slow down your connection.  Also, what type (protocol) of VPN you use has different speeds.  Currently, Wireguard is about the fasted VPN protocol. 

Are you running a ethernet cable from your router to your computer?  Wired connections are considerably faster.  They are cheap to buy.  Give it a try. 

Can you go into your router and change the WiFi channel.  The one you are on maybe getting a lot of interference.

Is your phone on phone data (sim card) getting good speeds?  If so, if you have a laptop, try hotspotting your phone and connect your laptop to it and see if you get better results.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like your problem is with a poor internet connection, not the VPN, but it is very common for geoblocked websites to continually blacklist VPN IP Addresses. 

Basically, what happens is, WH will see 50 users, for example, all on their accounts from one IP Address.  This tells them it's a VPN and they blacklist (block) that IP Address. 

VPN's do slow down your connection.  Also, what type (protocol) of VPN you use has different speeds.  Currently, Wireguard is about the fasted VPN protocol. 

Are you running a ethernet cable from your router to your computer?  Wired connections are considerably faster.  They are cheap to buy.  Give it a try. 

Can you go into your router and change the WiFi channel.  The one you are on maybe getting a lot of interference.

Is your phone on phone data (sim card) getting good speeds?  If so, if you have a laptop, try hotspotting your phone and connect your laptop to it and see if you get better results.

My internet speed is always low on the weekend . I guess all the kids are playing online . Today a speed test using both Fast and Ookla showed only 2 or 3 mbps when connected to the UK via Surfshark . I manage to open W/H but the site would not carry out any actions ( just a revolving circle ) . Came off the W/H site and disconnected S/S and my speed tests were 260 mbps down and 100 up . So the main problem seems to be S/S . BTW my protocol is Wireguard . 

What gets me is that all the well known VPN companies claim to be able to access W/H and people are buying the VPNs on that propaganda .   A previous reply from Nong Chok is interesting where Cyber Ghost is recommended . I may give it a try . Thanks again for your interesting replies 

28 minutes ago, superal said:

My internet speed is always low on the weekend . I guess all the kids are playing online . Today a speed test using both Fast and Ookla showed only 2 or 3 mbps when connected to the UK via Surfshark . I manage to open W/H but the site would not carry out any actions ( just a revolving circle ) . Came off the W/H site and disconnected S/S and my speed tests were 260 mbps down and 100 up . So the main problem seems to be S/S . BTW my protocol is Wireguard . 

What gets me is that all the well known VPN companies claim to be able to access W/H and people are buying the VPNs on that propaganda .   A previous reply from Nong Chok is interesting where Cyber Ghost is recommended . I may give it a try . Thanks again for your interesting replies 

Wireguard is better than that.  Slowing from 200Mbps to 3Mbps means something is not right. 

Can you connect to a server in a different country? Chose any country.  Germany, Japan, France, USA.  Connect and run a speed test and let me know what you get.  

Also, change protocols in SurfShark.  Change from Wireguard to Open VPN or whatever else they have and connect to the UK and run a speed test.  Maybe SurfShark's Wireguard is playing up.   

Finally, uninstall SurfShark, restart your computer, and reinstall SurfShark and run the UK test. 

How old is your computer?  What processor does it have? 

• Thanks 1

I tried Germany & France . Both connections were about 60 Mbps down . Turned off S/S and got 240 Mbps . I have already followed the S/S tech instructions and changed / tried various combinations of protocol and DNS , made no improvement . Uninstalled and reinstalled S/S , cleared cache etc and was able to connect with W/H . However connecting to W/H is one thing but the slow speeds mean that there is no reaction to my trying to use it as I just get the revolving circle . However this morning I was able to use the W/H site . The strange thing is , that all the times of the football games kick off times are shown in the Thai region time ( i.e. 02 00 am for a UK kick off of 20 00 hrs ) which means they must know I am not in the UK ?

Laptop is HP Chromebook 11MK G9 EE processor is MediaTek MT8183 .   1 year old 

2 hours ago, superal said:

I tried Germany & France . Both connections were about 60 Mbps down . Turned off S/S and got 240 Mbps . I have already followed the S/S tech instructions and changed / tried various combinations of protocol and DNS , made no improvement . Uninstalled and reinstalled S/S , cleared cache etc and was able to connect with W/H . However connecting to W/H is one thing but the slow speeds mean that there is no reaction to my trying to use it as I just get the revolving circle . However this morning I was able to use the W/H site . The strange thing is , that all the times of the football games kick off times are shown in the Thai region time ( i.e. 02 00 am for a UK kick off of 20 00 hrs ) which means they must know I am not in the UK ?

Laptop is HP Chromebook 11MK G9 EE processor is MediaTek MT8183 .   1 year old 

60Mbps down is fine.  More than enough for HD streaming. 

It appears it's a SurfShark issue to their UK servers.  Perhaps too much network congestion.  In other words, too many people connecting to their UK servers that it's slowing down everyone's connection.  If this is the case, it's something you'll have to take up with SurfShark.  I notice SurfShark only have four UK servers.  Can you legally bet on WH from Ireland?  If so, try the Dublin server.  It may have less traffic.

I don't own a Chromebook, but your settings may be to obtain network time, rather than you manually set the time.  It means the laptop is getting the time from the internet / IP Address you are on.  Try changing that setting and manually set your laptop to UK time. 

Also, try installing a different browser on your Chromebook.  Firefox is pretty good.  See if you get better results on a different browser. 

You may also have a DNS leak.  You should try one of the extensions on Chrome to fix this.  

Here's one example.  

https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/webrtc-leak-shield/bppamachkoflopbagkdoflbgfjflfnfl?hl=en

• Thanks 1