Tourist Visa to USA for Thai GF

On 5/5/2024 at 7:09 AM, trav2021 said:

I am in Thailand with my Thai girlfriend. Has anyone recently gone through the process of obtaining a tourist visa to the USA for a Thai girlfriend?  Thoughts on the likelihood of obtaining one?  Thanks. 

Based on the comments it appears it very hard to do   seems like it also depends on the mood of the immigration officer. kinda BS  

9 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Based on the comments it appears it very hard to do   seems like it also depends on the mood of the immigration officer. kinda BS  

Not in the least.  The visa officers would have to be mind readers to get it right 100% of the time.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:02 AM, JohnOFphon said:

Just fly to Mexico, or a nearby country that will allow her in and then find a way to the Rio Grand and wade across the river. No one will stop her.

When ready to leave, retrace your steps and fly back.

Wish I were joking..

If she does that she will get a US passport and citizenship immediately

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:23 AM, RocketDog said:

I've been with my Thai lady for nearly 6 years and have deeply researched this whole topic of getting her a tourist Visa.

Basically it's next to impossible for most people. At best it's an arduous and expensive proposition.

Luckily she has seen enough about America on TV that she says she doesn't really care about going there.

I guess I don't either because I'm back in the USA right now. Selling my house and divesting most of the assets I have here.

After being here for close  to 2 months I doubt I will ever return

Stay longer than two months.

Grass is never greener green grass takes a lot of work.🤔

Posted (edited)

I agree if she is pretty, slim, sexy,that lowers the chance.    Its form DS160 if I'm not mistaken.  Was 165$ now 185$ they say.   2 weeks salary for avg Thai.

There is a question asking if she knows a US citizen or anyone in the US.    Best to lie about this.   When you go to bank to pay make sure she pays from her account because the payee needs to sign the receipt and this goes to the interview.  I believe that was my mistake with my now wife.   3 other thai ladies got tourist visas to visit me in  the USA.  All 3 were either above average financially set or heavily burdened by the government school loan system.  All over 45.    I think under 40 and sexy is the main rejection criteria.   Obviously any  2 week solo trip to USA is going to cost 200k baht.   So the word  was you needed 300k in bank back in 2017-18 time frame.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Agree 1

On 5/8/2024 at 9:51 AM, trav2021 said:

Thanks to all for your comments.  

Is there a way I can accept responsibility for her and guarantee she will return to Thailand?  Something analogous to paying bail to insure she returns or I lose money?  Anything like that?

Think about it!  Impossible!  If she did a runner, how could you "guarantee" her return?  And some have done that.  Immigration staff aren't stupid!  But good luck!

• Like 1

A while ago I read that the basic assumption of the immigration staff is to say 'no'  unless you can convince the immigration staff that he should change that to a 'yes'. 

I have no info or facts to back this up,  just read it somewhere.  Good Luck.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:24 AM, SammyJ said:

Sorry, so as not to raise false hopes--it takes a lot more than that--there are a number of categories that are looked at in qualifying for a US visa---money in the bank is one--but it must show a lengthy record of deposits and savings from a well-paying job, that she has held for some time and will be allowed to return to,

Other categories include, previous travel outside of Thailand and evidence of her return per those travels, does she own property, her education, her family ties (does she have children, elderly parents, etc) all things that would compel her to return to Thailand.

And, often, from reports of friends, even with satisfying many of these categories, the visa is still denied--as it is at the discretion of the visa officer

--have read that even those applying for a fiance visa find that the process and evidence needed can take 6 to 9 months, or sometimes longer.

not an easy or pleasant process at all--but, nothing ventured, nothing gained---but, one last mention--if you can realistically look at the above and 

understand that she cannot present evidence of those things, please know that each application used to require a non-refundable fee of

$100--it may be even more now and many hours of waiting to even submit an application, then they give you a date, often weeks or more into the future to return for an interview or decision.

Very solid advice here and accurate. If you mention anything about you being her boyfriend there that is the death toll on most all denials in similar circumstances. 

Forgetaboutit.

Go to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Korea or Japan.

America is for making money if you're educated and can get a high tech job in a startup in Silicon Valley.

Not cleaning out a restroom in a fast food joint in Silicon Valley, minimum wage, no education.

That's a more difficult life than here in Thailand.

See the difference? 🤯 

In my case   Last year my wife applied and had no problem.

She wrote a detailed letter convincing them that she is very stable here in Thailand, house in her name, has a job, her own business and money in the bank.

That she had travelled several times and returned.

That she is accompanying her husband for a family reunion and gave an address of my niece, where we stayed.

Believe they also checked her Facebook account!

15 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Well considering how much they harass here in Thailand  for any visa more then 1 month, only fair play if western nations make things as tough for the thais.

it is not difficult to get a visa to visit Thailand.

30 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

In my case   Last year my wife applied and had no problem.

She wrote a detailed letter convincing them that she is very stable here in Thailand, house in her name, has a job, her own business and money in the bank.

That she had travelled several times and returned.

That she is accompanying her husband for a family reunion and gave an address of my niece, where we stayed.

Believe they also checked her Facebook account!

I don't understand the money in the bank  ,you can transfer money so why would that matter?However ,what would be a  respectable amount?  

On 5/6/2024 at 1:05 PM, it is what it is said:

my american mate's gf got a 10 year visa no problem, but she's well educated with a good job.

I know a number of Thais that fit that same category.  They got a 10 year US visa on the first time they applied.  It can be done.  You just have to have all the things in order that the US embassy is looking for.  

5 hours ago, charleskerins said:

I don't understand the money in the bank  ,you can transfer money so why would that matter?However ,what would be a  respectable amount?  

The money in the bank wasn’t a big deal.

she just prepared a statement and carried her bank book with her, just in case they asked.

The other points are more important I believe.

56 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I know a number of Thais that fit that same category.  They got a 10 year US visa on the first time they applied.  It can be done.  You just have to have all the things in order that the US embassy is looking for.  

She's well educated with a good job  so they gave her a 10 year visa actually makes little sense to me   please elaborate  .    Why would she want a 10 year visa if she has a good job in Thailand?    What is the Embassy looking for ?

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Why would she want a 10 year visa if she has a good job in Thailand?

It's common for the US to  issue 10 year multi entry tourists visas.  That's the standard tourist visa if they don't suspect you will cause any problems. You can only stay so long each year, and obviously can't live there.  It's so you don't have to re-apply for a visa if you visit many times as a tourist.

Edited by Phillip9

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

It's common for the US to  issue 10 year multi entry tourists visas.  That's the standard tourist visa if they don't suspect you will cause any problems. You can only stay so long each year, and obviously can't live there.  It's so you don't have to re-apply for a visa if you visit many times as a tourist.

So in your opinion which would be easier to get-  business owner ,her entire family is here , landowner?   Or they decide which  visa you get?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, charleskerins said:

She's well educated with a good job  so they gave her a 10 year visa actually makes little sense to me   please elaborate  .    Why would she want a 10 year visa if she has a good job in Thailand?    What is the Embassy looking for ?

They are looking at few things in no particular order:

1)  A large sum in the bank.

2)  Assets in Thailand, such as houses, condos, etc.

3)  Employment status.  Business owner or a higher level position with a large company.

4)  Education.  Where you went to university in Thailand.  Really helps if you have been educated overseas.

5)  Travel to other countries.  It really helps if you have been to other European countries, Australia, Canada, etc.  

6)  Family in Thailand.

As has been said earlier, the 10 year visa just means that you don't have to re-apply for a visa for 10 years.  I think the maximum time you can spend in the US on a 10 year visa is six months.  They are also looking to see if you are likely to return to Thailand after your visit to the US.  That's why having traveled to other countries and returned helps as I listed in #5.

Edited by Hanuman2547

Complete and utter arrogance. They think that everyone wants to live there and be an illegal Mexican lawn boy for the rest of their lives. Haven’t they realized that for the last 20 years so-called third-world people don’t want to live in the US? A.) they’re probably better off in their home countries and b.) if they’re not, and they do want to move, the US is hardly the first choice any more. Maybe from the 1950s to 2000 it was but since 2000 or 9/11 only the lowest of the low South Americans want to go to the US. Everybody else would rather go to Canada or the UK or Australia or anywhere in Europe. Arrogance to the extreme. Riding their legacy laurels as if it were still 1950s. I once lived in HK and was planning to move temporarily to the US for work and offered to take my Filipina maid at the time to the US and sponsor her for a visa. She just laughed and politely declined. She later told me she likes the US but it was like number 30 on her list, so she held out for something better.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

They are looking at few things in no particular order:

1)  A large sum in the bank.

2)  Assets in Thailand, such as houses, condos, etc.

3)  Employment status.  Business owner or a higher level position with a large company.

4)  Education.  Where you went to university in Thailand.  Really helps if you have been educated overseas.

5)  Travel to other countries.  It really helps if you have been to other European countries, Australia, Canada, etc.  

6)  Family in Thailand.

As has been said earlier, the 10 year visa just means that you don't have to re-apply for a visa for 10 years.  I think the maximum time you can spend in the US on a 10 year visa is six months.  They are also looking to see if you are likely to return to Thailand after your visit to the US.  That's why having traveled to other countries and returned helps as I listed in #5.

Thank you