Al Jazeera Shutdown - Israeli Cabinet Approves Closure of Al Jazeera's Facilities

CharlieH

2 minutes ago, RobU said:

Don't be silly Gaza is related to the story Israel has now suppressed all reporting from Gaza so the IDF can continue it's genocidal rampage without any oversight. it's the true reason the station was shut down no journalists are allowed there.

How? Al Jazeera reporters are still in Gaza just not Israel.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, new2here said:

to me, this is a “bad look” so to speak.  Sure, few countries really WANT foreign media, in country, reporting on anything that essentially makes them look bad … that’s a pretty universal idea..

That said, to me, banning them like this, just adds to their credibility and allow them to now say “see! they didn’t want us to see X, Y and Z so they kicked us out”

This is not say what’s going on in country is right, wrong or otherwise- that’s a ver different discussion.. but as to the ACT of banning them from country goes, that to me just seems to be adding to Al Jazeera’s credibility and bolsters their claims..  I would have thought the government media relations arm would have tried harder to shape the narrative THEIR way and present that outwardly.. Sure, it’s unlikely that media like Al Jazeera would have taken the bait, but at least the government can avoid kicking them out and the negative PR that would come with it.

I think there is some confusion. Israel is not stopping Al Jazeera from reporting or denying them access to Gaza. They just see allowing them to operate inside Israel as a security risk, and because of that, have shut down their Israeli office. They are still free to go anywhere and report anything they like. 

The "genocide" is being perpetrated Gaza, not in Israel, yes? So, nothing is stopping them from continuing to report, they just need to relocate their base of operations. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How? Al Jazeera reporters are still in Gaza just not Israel.

By suppressing reporting from El Jazera to Israeli citizens the deeply unpopular government is trying to suppress anything that criticises it's policy

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, RobU said:

By suppressing reporting from El Jazera to Israeli citizens the deeply unpopular government is trying to suppress anything that criticises it's policy

How is Israel "...suppressing reporting from El Jazera <sic> to Israeli citizens..."?

Do Israelis not have internet? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

And America is saying that Israel is a democratic country? And China is not?

IMO America leaders think we are all stupid enough to believe the lies about israel being democratic. Unfortunately western leaders are also lying about it, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Reporting will continue till israel manages to kill the last journalist. The reporters in Gaza are Gazans, and will not be leaving any time soon. I suppose the israelis will try blocking the internet and phone use.

If they're going to kill all the reporters anyway, why announce the shutdown? They could just bomb it and claim it was hit by an Iranian missile.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO America leaders think we are all stupid enough to believe the lies about israel being democratic. Unfortunately western leaders are also lying about it, IMO.

Yes, everyone is lying, including the Israelis. The only people not lying is Hamas. 

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RobU said:

Really? Did it have a regular TV slot in Israel? They have not blocked it on internet so how does it affect Israeli citizens? 

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Really? Did it have a regular TV slot in Israel? They have not blocked it on internet so how does it affect Israeli citizens? 

Allowing Al Jazeera to have an office in Israel today, would be like allowing Völkischer Beobachter to have a London office in 1940. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Allowing Al Jazeera to have an office in Israel today, would be like allowing Völkischer Beobachter to have a London office in 1940. 

Agreed and considering Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain & Egypt had already banned Al Jazeera then Israel is a little late in the day doing so.

• Confused 2

Israel is no longer a democracy. Stop pretending otherwise. The orthodox, extremist fascists have taken over.

Don't allow a counter narrative of pro Israel news. Don't report on civilian casualties. Keep pretending you are not slaughtering women and children.

“Israel’s ongoing suppression of the free press, seen as an effort to conceal its actions in the Gaza Strip, stands in contravention of international and humanitarian law,” the network said. “Israel’s direct targeting and killing of journalists, arrests, intimidation and threats will not deter Al Jazeera.”

I hate Hamas. But, I hate the disproportionate IDF response too. Perhaps Israel couldn't handle peace at home?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Israel is no longer a democracy. Stop pretending otherwise. The orthodox, extremist fascists have taken over.

Don't allow a counter narrative of pro Israel news. Don't report on civilian casualties. Keep pretending you are not slaughtering women and children.

“Israel’s ongoing suppression of the free press, seen as an effort to conceal its actions in the Gaza Strip, stands in contravention of international and humanitarian law,” the network said. “Israel’s direct targeting and killing of journalists, arrests, intimidation and threats will not deter Al Jazeera.”

I hate Hamas. But, I hate the disproportionate IDF response too. Perhaps Israel couldn't handle peace at home?

Do you believe that Völkischer Beobachter should have been allowed to have a London office in 1940?

Israel is not stopping Al Jazeera from reporting or restricting their movement in Gaza. You may be confused. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You seem to be confused about the nations of a democracy. When freedom of the press is taken away, and the false flag of national security is used, you know morality, truth and ethics have gone out the window. Woe is Israel. 

Hyperbole much? Freedom of the press has not been shut down. 

Don't hear many complaints about the US government wanting to control media access and reporting. 

• Like 2

Oh, Israel gets hurt when All Jazeera shows pictures from that genocide, killing innocent Palestinians?

Well, then it's better to shut off, isn't it. What you can't see doesn't exist😵‍💫

• Thumbs Up 1