Remembering your V8 Muscle car........

1 minute ago, marin said:

1970 to 74. Dodge Charger, 383 V8 with a Holley 4 barrel carb. Damn it was fun, but eventually gave it up for something more practical upon university graduation. 

1970-Dodge-Charger-RT-HEMI-8.webp

1970-Dodge-Charger-RT-Se----Mecum2.avif 155.01 kB · 0 downloads

One of my favourite cars, my friend in the UK had a '69, it was like from the factory, but had a 318 in it, he eventually sourced a 440 +K frame for a bit more go...:clap2:

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Always loved the V8….

I was born too late for the Muscle car era, but always fancied a Cobra…

The only V8 I did get was in Range Rover, it’s still has that V8 rumble when gunning it… & of course the I’d see the fuel gauge dropping… 

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

Be more inclusive.

What about V-2's?

Tracy_Kile_AHDRA_rock_22_8185crop1_16772

not enough wheels for this old fart...only used a smaller one for cheap transportation - besides my daddy didn't raise this fool to that extreme!

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

not enough wheels for this old fart...only used a smaller one for cheap transportation - besides my daddy didn't raise this fool to that extreme!

It's actually quite safe.

1/4-mile runs are done on a straight track.

All riders required to have bikes inspected and wear appropriate protective gear.

Even the guys running nitro fuel have to wear flak vests....in case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

FIrst car I bought was a 68 mustang loved the sound, drove it 156K miles only replace the pressure plate in the xmission - had to sell the car, family and I moving to BKK and no a/c straight shift so bought an automatic with a/c.  Then on a trip back to USA later, bought a 67 mustang - since it was used, I fixed it up and when it was time to paint it, my younger daughter was just graduating from HS and I offered her a new mustang but she asked for the '67 and since I was going back overseas I gave it to her (circa 1988) and she still has it and refuses to give it back.  I think that the biggest problem for the EV's - they just can put in the sounds of those old muscle cars when stomping on that gas pedal!  Daughter said sometimes there were problems but easily fixed (she could do it too) and her friends in college would ask her

why she chose that old car over  new mustang?  She said she would take them out on the highway and goose that 'tang!  then they would all say "ahhh now we understand"!

Nice story.......My chum in the UK has a '68, now restored to look like the Bullitt car, 351ci stick shift.......🤩

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I was at uni in CA in 1971 and had a part time job at a  wrecking yard in Chula Vista. One day, the boss hauls in a 65 GTO with a blown engine, he'd paid 100 bucks for it. "Pull the trans, the doors and the panels then send the rest to the crusher" he said. I couldn't let it happen, I ended up paying him 400 for it but I was happy. I bought a used 389 with tri-power and fitted it over the weekend, boy did that baby sound good. It was the perfect car, for me, a fast mover than handled sooo well. I still miss ya goat (the car, not the poster).

I like the Poncho stories, as I spent a lot of time sorting my 400 engine(s) out, but in the UK the good parts were scarce back then, though I did import stuff and did my own thing with sourced parts..🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

It's actually quite safe.

1/4-mile runs are done on a straight track.

All riders required to have bikes inspected and wear appropriate protective gear.

Even the guys running nitro fuel have to wear flak vests....in case.

after your description, I can now understand why my Daddy said don;t!!!!

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I like the Poncho stories, as I spent a lot of time sorting my 400 engine(s) out, but in the UK the good parts were scarce back then, though I did import stuff and did my own thing with sourced parts..🤗

I've read those too, it brings back memories. Being in the US there was a never a parts issue, it was actually cheaper and easier to buy an entire engine from a wrecking yard and install that, rather than replace any long block parts. I once went through four back to back removes/installs before I got a decent engine, I got to where I could do a round trip in about two hours. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 2

Never owned a V8, closest I got was a 6.

I still remember a race between diametrically opposite designs at Sandown race track in Melbourne. A Mini Cooper, and Sir Gawaine Baillie's 7 litre Ford Galaxie V8.

It was actually quite comical. In the corners, the Mini would nip inside the Galaxie with a screaming engine. Then they would get to the long straight. The Mini would be about a third of the way up the straight as the Galaxie driver finished fighting a twanging suspension.

Once he straightened up, there would be a loud deep throbbing sound as the Ford beat the Mini into the next corner, having given a start of about 150 metres on a 491 metre straight.

This went on for about 15 laps.

V8's were great to look at and listen to, but they cornered like a piano on castors.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I have been lucky in that I have never needed a muscle car, my manhood is sufficient enough that I don't need compensate. :cool:

you must have quite a loud sounding exhaust too which is what most of us like about the fast moving vehicles.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

In the UK I had a Jensen Interceptor SP mk3

440 cub in with Holley 4 barrel and Chrysler Torqueflyte transmission if I remember right, seemed quick at the time, nothing compared to a BYD Seal which reaches 100kmHr is less than half the time.

I guess it was inevitable there would be a plug for an EV on the thread.

Apparently some countries are legislating to have EV's fitted with noisemakers to give advance warning to pedestrians - too silent. Never would be a problem for a V8.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I guess it was inevitable there would be a plug for an EV on the thread.

Apparently some countries are legislating to have EV's fitted with noisemakers to give advance warning to pedestrians - too silent. Never would be a problem for a V8.

Some Ford Mach E's have a switch to give you the sound of the Coyote V8 like in a Mustang GT.

13 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I had an '87 Corvette for a while.  After a few years the only times I drove it was to take it in for repairs.

I had a '79 and I would have been better off financially giving it away the day after I bought it.  Worst car I ever owned, and a cheap Toyota of recent vintage would handle better and probably beat it on the track, for sure in the curves.

My dream car as a kid was a 70-71 Torino GT with a 429.  Today, I look back and cringe that I even wanted one.  The only cars that handled worse were the Mopars.  Any Mopar.

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

In the UK I had a Jensen Interceptor SP mk3

440 cub in with Holley 4 barrel and Chrysler Torqueflyte transmission if I remember right, seemed quick at the time, nothing compared to a BYD Seal which reaches 100kmHr is less than half the time.

Oh no, not an EV deaf guy...............🤣

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

1970 Mach 1 with CJ 428 Auto at age 16. Bought from a lot for $1700. Usd

In ‘74 or ‘75, (I was in high school in SoCal) my buddy bought a ‘67 Shelby/Ford GT 500 for $1,400, I remember thinking he got burned. Last time I saw talked to his sister a few years ago, he still had it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I had a '79 and I would have been better off financially giving it away the day after I bought it.  Worst car I ever owned, and a cheap Toyota of recent vintage would handle better and probably beat it on the track, for sure in the curves.

My dream car as a kid was a 70-71 Torino GT with a 429.  Today, I look back and cringe that I even wanted one.  The only cars that handled worse were the Mopars.  Any Mopar.

But, are you a female member..........?  😉

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1