Whats the legal age of consent in Thailand. Its confusing.

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

It isn't though .

Parental consent is needed for under 18's and even if consent is gained , the Parents can change their mind after you've banged her .

The girl can change her mind after the event as well , she can give consent one day and change her mind the next day and then press charges .

If any payment is involved , that would be classified as child prostitution , with or without consent 

The OP did not ask about consent, i.e. whether it was given or not, he asked specifically about the legal age to give consent for sexual activities, which is 15. 

If you have something that states just that the legal age to provide consent for sex specifically is other than 15, please provide it, without throwing in qualifiers such as parents, consent (apart from the age for) and child prostitution, aspects that I have not commented on. 

You also need to read the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act 1996, as to what aspects of prostitution are illegal in relation to the OP's question.  The OP's friend, for example, would not be committing a child prostitution offence simply by giving her money. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

There are a lot of miserable men who have/had all of these "sameness" boxes ticked.  Some are miserable because it all fell apart.  Some are miserable because they're still with the woman in question.

At the same time, there are foreign men who are very happily married to Thai women 10, 20 or 30 years younger than them.

I think you're overestimating the importance of those things in a relationship and underestimating the importance of money, in both cultures.  (The Thai girl is only with him for his money, sure, but do Western women marry or stay with broke Western men?)

Fair enough and I don't disagree. But statistically the chance for success with someone less than half your age, with less than half of your life experiences, with little knowledge about the world and most likely very little education or English skills is statistically low. 

As for the financial arrangement, yes, there are plenty of both Thai and Western women with broke diick guys from their own country because some women need different things.

But in this particular arrangement it can only be one reason the girl is interested in him. It's fine if that pure business exchange works for him, but it also means if he ever loses his wallet, or she finds a bigger better deal, he's gonna lose the girl too. So things are already off on a dodgy footing. But he's obviously not anywhere near the first to take the red pill and by far has no chance of ever being the last. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

A mate of mine is aged in 40s. He told me an 18 year old is interested in him. In western countries I think this is not a problem. But here I wasn't sure. I told him I thought it was 20 years old. 

If he got involved with this girl and it went pear shaped is he in a spot of bother? He has checked her id card. She is 100% 18 yrs old. 

Not interested in moral opinions, only legal. 

Don't get involved with sexual activities with girls who could be you daughter or grandchild. Nothing to worry about then.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

duh. read above. He saw the id card. Cant get better evidence than that. 

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

For sex 18yo is legal with other adults.

Prostitution isn't.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...but not the age for sexual consent, which is 15. And it is very easy to confirm that.

That depends how old the other person is. Other things come in the equation too.

Try it with my daughter and you won't be able to tell your friends about it.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Prostitution, i.e. paying for sex, is not illegal, certain specifics of the activity are, though.  

The OP did not ask about proof of consent, did he?

This is a very sensitive topic, legally and otherwise. Please limit discussion to legal matters. Name calling and shaming will be deleted without further comment.

3 hours ago, advancebooking said:

But we all heard about the american teacher pedo and the german guy who flew back to germany. Both with 16 yr olds and in trouble. 

I believe most teachers in any civilized country would be in trouble for  fouling around with their students. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is not illegal, as the link that you provided, ironically and clearly, confirms.  I am not giving advice, as you falsely claim, I am answering the OP's question, nothing more.  From your own link...

"What is the Thailand Age of Consent?

The Age of Consent in Thailand is 15 years old".

Despite what anyone might decide is or isn't the legal age for sex the plain fact is that having sex with an under 18 year old in modern day Thailand, paid or unpaid, opens you up to the possibility of huge expense, imprisonment or both. 

If the girl happened to be the daughter of a Thai with “standing” and money who did not approve it might even be sensible to shy away if she was 19, though 18 is fine 99.999% of the time. (Of course, I am only referring to possible “legal” repercussions).

It's a fact. Bear it in mind.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP did not ask about consent, i.e. whether it was given or not, he asked specifically about the legal age to give consent for sexual activities, which is 15. 

If you have something that states just that the legal age to provide consent for sex specifically is other than 15, please provide it, without throwing in qualifiers such as parents, consent (apart from the age for) and child prostitution, aspects that I have not commented on. 

You also need to read the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act 1996, as to what aspects of prostitution are illegal in relation to the OP's question.  The OP's friend, for example, would not be committing a child prostitution offence simply by giving her money. 

More bad advice. You are condoning illegal underage sex. The only legal age for adults is 18. The 15 to 17 category has no revelance to a 40yo. 

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In Thailand the age of consent is set at 15 years old.

The term "age of consent" specifically refers to the minimum age at which a person is considered legally competent to provide consent for engaging in sexual acts. Individuals below this age do not possess the legal capacity to consent to sexual activities.

Unless they're married ...........

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Don't get involved with sexual activities with girls who could be you daughter or grandchild. Nothing to worry about then.

What is there to "worry about" if you get involved with someone over 18 but who is old enough yo be your daughter or granddaughter?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that nothing could go wrong if she would be 30 or 40 or 50, correct?

And obviously they would certainly be happy after if they both would be from the same country and culture, correct?

Think again! 

I was trying to think of a way to say this but you pretty much said it perfectly.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

I believe most teachers in any civilized country would be in trouble for  fouling around with their students. 

I'm pretty sure that in high schools in the UK, even where the student is over 16 (age of consent in the UK), a teacher will be in big trouble if they have any sort of relationship with a student.

18 to be on the safe side, anything under that and you're just looking for problems. If you're an American citizen and you are found with someone 16 or under by the police, you can and will be tried for statutory rape in the US. An assistant district attorney will fly here on an overnight flight, put you in handcuffs, take you back to Washington, try you on a federal case and they will get an conviction unless you have 5 million dollars to spend on legal fees. In which case you might be able to get the sentence reduced, if not you're going to be spending 10 years in a federal pen. So think about that the next time you don't check the ID of a very very young looking gal. It is not a joke. 

And then the next question is why the need for underage when 18 to 25 is as hot as most men are going to need? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As spidermike points out, the OP's buddy also has to consider his home country's laws, in addition to Thai laws on the topic.

And I'd be real careful about an ID "proving" anything.  A week after the deed, there may be a knock on the door and a very different ID presented, along with a demand for a big chunk of change to stay out of prison.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

It isn't though .

Parental consent is needed for under 18's and even if consent is gained , the Parents can change their mind after you've banged her .

The girl can change her mind after the event as well , she can give consent one day and change her mind the next day and then press charges .

If any payment is involved , that would be classified as child prostitution , with or without consent 

When I started the relationship with my Thai gf she was under 18. She didn't ask her parents, and I didn't ask her parents.

Her mother died early, and she walked away from her father when she was 14 or about that age.

As far as I know her father didn't know about her living with me until she was maybe 20 years old. He didn't complain.

And about girls or women changing their mind: I don't know if that is really an issue in Thailand. I never heard about a case that a guy had a relationship and sex and later she complained that x weeks or months or years ago she didn't really consent.

On the other hand, in "the west" there are cases like with Julian Assange, where a woman had at least 3 times sex with him. According to her the 1st and 3rd time was consensual but the 2nd time it wasn't. Crazy!

My personal advice: Don't run into a trap. Think twice what you do. But don't overthink all the things which possibly could go wrong. There are enough old women out there who accuse men of rape decades ago. The only way to avoid that is to have no sex at all or even better never meet a female alone.