Air Pollution Skyrockets in Chiang Mai

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai and multiple northern provinces in Thailand are contending with alarmingly high air pollution l

Blah blah 

is this a news?😂

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It IS illegal. But whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand. Somehow, the authorities can't detect where the smoke is coming from, can't see any fires, because they've been blinded by indifference.

the authorities can't detect where the smoke is coming from, can't see any fires, because they've been blinded by indifference a brown envelope.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Unfortunately it's not just the Thai farmers but also the Laos and Burmese farmers you would need to stop - and that would be impossible

Though that is true, you have to start somewhere, and the success of administrations cannot continue to use excuse after excuse, after excuse to engage in merciless and unforgivable sloth. 

3 hours ago, malibukid said:

why should the government in Bangkok care about the Lana people.  been this way for centuries. 

Nice try it's the Lanna people to blame in the first place. If you don't like smoke maybe make stop people from burning.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

It is so easy to fix the agricultural burning.

Any field burning will be identified by satellite and no growing on that field will be permitted that year.  The army will destroy any crops grown in contravention of that order.

I haven't seen any crops burning in months. The forest are however being lit on fire every week for months. 

image.thumb.png.191f88fe18c221504c19b3bd25e9723b.png

• Agree 1

Seems to be the same story every year … I wonder if it is the same committee members.

p.s. Just rained here for 15 mins

53 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Probably the govt will present very effective plans to solve that little problem. I'm very sure🙏

I've just come from central Thailand in the heart of the farming community and farmers are burning stubble, crop debris, field verges and brush wood areas next to farms or on mountains every night.  Sugar cane crops are mostly harvested and refinery's are in maintenance mode so less burning than several months ago but still prevalent. 

"They, the Gov" all know how it occurs but these farmers are the ones who vote them into power so cannot say too much to stop this or they will loose a position of influence, 555 I nearly said th "C" word

Red skies at night shephards delight so to speak. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listen to the presently sitting Prime Minister (or all others before him); no problem, no reason to panic and do not complain as it might damage the ever-so-important tourism industry. 

What all these goons have not realized is that nobody in his right mind would a) return for a repeated visit nor b) recommend the places to their friends. It is a fact that you normally have a think-alike circle of acquaintances and friends. So, with one poor impression you spoil another ten, twenty or even more potential visitors. 

But try to explain that to these self-centered clowns. I - for one - remember the North of Thailand 40+ years ago and there was never anything like smog or haze; apart from the winter morning fogs which were - health wise - harmless.

Welcome to Thailand then ............ 

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It IS illegal. But whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand. Somehow, the authorities can't detect where the smoke is coming from, can't see any fires, because they've been blinded by indifference.

Also blinded by the eye strain of counting all those brown envelope contents.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

the authorities can't detect where the smoke is coming from, can't see any fires, because they've been blinded by indifference a brown envelope.

I don't think, in this case, brown envelopes are involved as farmers don't have a ready supply. The authorities simply don't care and are too lazy to do the job they're paid for. Pretty common here.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Archie Baker said:

I've just come from central Thailand in the heart of the farming community and farmers are burning stubble, crop debris, field verges and brush wood areas next to farms or on mountains every night.  Sugar cane crops are mostly harvested and refinery's are in maintenance mode so less burning than several months ago but still prevalent. 

"They, the Gov" all know how it occurs but these farmers are the ones who vote them into power so cannot say too much to stop this or they will loose a position of influence, 555 I nearly said th "C" word

Red skies at night shephards delight so to speak. 

Yeah, clinging to power is a problem not only in Thailand.

You're right, this Govt is doing everything to be elected again, even it's producing more debts by implement this 10.000 Baht game.🙏

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Farmers don't have to own a tractor for what is seasonal work. Where I am, in Kalasin Province, there are those who have tractors for hire on a day-by-day basis. Same as machines for threshing the rice. When someone needs a tractor, they make a call.

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, totally agree. Same here in south Surin. Works well.

The same comments apply in our area near Sakon Nakhon. It is very rare to see a field burning nowadays, usually it's only a small plot which is difficult to access by tractor. The big bonus is that we enjoy good air quality for most of time. Right now we're in the green zone on the Air4Thai website (47 AQI) and that's metered in the city, not out here in the countryside away from the traffic.

Yes, in Thailand location is everything if you want a healthy environment. 

Right, I'm off for a walk before the rain comes. 😃

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, chricha said:

We went to Chiang Mai/Rai a couple of years ago and although not as bad as this year it was uncomfortable.

This year in Khao Kho where we live, a long way from Chiang Mai, the sun turns orange from 4pm due to the smoke from everybody burning.

This starts in January and continues until the rains come in April/May - still no rain to date!

The only solution is for farmers to plough last season's crops back in as we do in Australia.

But the small farmers can't afford such luxury as a tractor and the big Agra farms say why should we bother - everybody else is doing it!

Solution: fine/tax big Agra and donate a tractor to the small farmers allowing them to avoid burning

Good idea, there are many solutions. Sloth should not be tolerated. I hope the people rise up and say enough! The current order is a dismal failure. Has been for a long time. 

Last year, I had to leave CM for two months to dodge the smoke. This year it's 10 weeks. Love CM to death, and I do like to have a block of travel time every year.

But if it edges into 1 one week in every 4 that I have to be gone, that's too disruptive and I'm outa here. Helllloooo Hat Yai.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JimG said:

My experience is that the smog is caused by farmers burning the leftovers from the crops.  It's always said that 'next year' it will be fixed. They never do.   Make it illegal and fine violators. Set up a collection system for the trash.  The gov't could even assist in the cost to the farmers.

They're very happy that you volunteered to assist. 

The aging population together with deaths from smog-induced diseases will really exacerbate the labor problem in the future.

5 hours ago, JimG said:

My experience is that the smog is caused by farmers burning the leftovers from the crops.  It's always said that 'next year' it will be fixed. They never do.   Make it illegal and fine violators. Set up a collection system for the trash.  The gov't could even assist in the cost to the farmers.

It's that simple as there's burning in Laos and Myanmar as well. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JimG said:

What weed brand are you smoking?

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Last year, I had to leave CM for two months to dodge the smoke. This year it's 10 weeks. Love CM to death, and I do like to have a block of travel time every year.

But if it edges into 1 one week in every 4 that I have to be gone, that's too disruptive and I'm outa here. Helllloooo Hat Yai.

I was there until a few days ago and I can say that it's not easy. There's a grey cloud enveloping the whole valley. I was indoors most of the time in the last few days. 

In my opinion, I regard Thailand as a tropical country where I go for 1 to 3 months to visit.

My last trip took me to the north, and luck would have it, the pollution was fairly low

during my 1 week visit. i normally stay in Pattaya at Jontien beach for a while and

in Hua Hin for a while, as I like being at the ocean and it is usually less affected by bad air compared to the north half of Thailand.

I do not see any changes happening in my life time of 15 to 20 more years.

i could never become an expat and deal with the wet, hot season of March to May or June.

I am happier to stay from November to February, when Canada has its cold snowy Winter weather.

Good luck to all of you expats who are affected by the air pollution. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I haven't seen any crops burning in months. The forest are however being lit on fire every week for months. 

Rice harvest just about finished around Chiang Mai, coincided with end of burning ban at end of April.  Farmers now burning their fields.  

They still burn even though they use tractors to plough their fields.  It's local tradition.  Last night pm2.5 concentration over 120 ug/m3 inside the bedroom before I turned the air filter on.

9 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

What steps have been taken to stop this ?

Chiengmai based Pheu Thai supporters have moved to their second homes in the Swiss Alps.....😋

7 hours ago, JimG said:

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

It is so easy to fix the agricultural burning.

Any field burning will be identified by satellite and no growing on that field will be permitted that year.  The army will destroy any crops grown in contravention of that order.

You're unaware of the real reason this is happening. It's pretty easy to tackle the issue with current technology and stopping the farmers from burning.

However, it's not that simple. Stopping these burns will affect the supply chain of the sugar cane and this would cause losses to billionaires. Any politician properly tackling this problem won't remain in power for too long. 

I don't see the burning stopping anytime soon unfortunately.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1