British Army Veteran Dies Unexpectedly during Thailand Holiday

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Mitchell’s death has shaken up his dear ones, causing an outpour of grief and tributes from friends, family, and frequented places like the Soul Train bar, where he was a regular.

A Gofundme page is now active to take care of Mitchell's funeral costs and arrange his return to the UK

So, he knew lots of people, spent a lot of money, and now people should donate for "funeral costs and arrange his return to the UK". Strange.

RIP

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Participating in Songkran festivities and it’s only being reported NOW?

Seems that after all the medical reports, autopsy, and other paperwork the relatives finally realized there was the matter of the funeral & disposition of the remains. The GoFundMe is NOW active, so publicity needed to rake in the cash.

'Course, cremation and scattering of ashes can be arranged quite inexpensively here in Thailand, a country he'd loved. I once knew an old Brit adamant that's what he wanted for himself; that's what he got, too.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CHdiver said:

Will there now be every death of a tourist be reported in future? Or just the gofundme <deleted>. I guess that should be put in a new category. Even better, stop this nonsense. Nobody wants to read such nonevents for the majority of users. Thank you.

Couldn't agree more. People live, people die. probably another 10 or so will die today..that's just how things are.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In a sudden tragic incident, Roy Mitchell, a 69-year-old man from Liverpool and Army veteran,

The term "Army veteran" is not normally used in the UK where we tend to use the term "ex serviceman"!

Could this be some unconnected people starting this fund and using a US expression to get a larger potential donation pool!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You are completely wrong about that. The government's website even has section devoted to 'Veterans UK'. You can visit it right here. Veterans UK And I am proud to be classified as one of them.

In passing, I've read most of the entries on this thread and I don't I've come across a bigger load of rubbish as I have today. So you're in good company.

Read my post again!

I am not quoting Government "Woke Titles" but stating what I believe to be common day UK ex service personnel usage and expressions between themselves!

UK ex-servicemen/women tend to refer to themselves as such and not as "veterans"!

I am stating that as a 28 year served ex serviceman and not as a veteran!

PS; I suggest that your last paragraph could have been written in clearer English!

Edited by scottiejohn
edited!
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Its quite likely that his family was told how he died or at least the circumstances of his death 

or a suitable story made up by the hospital or authorities

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What a sad attitude you have. Read this from the Liverpool Echo where his death was first reported:

"If you needed any help Roy would help you. He was such a gentleman. Everything to do with the King's Regiment - that was Roy. He couldn't do enough for people. He did a lot for ex-forces who passed away and their families''.

That's why friends and family are prepared to help. That's karma in action.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/dad-dies-suddenly-holiday-thailand-29131853

Good, so friends and family help. Great.

Then what's the point of asking for more money.

A funeral and transport of the ashes is not so expensive.

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Goodbye, RIP and thank you for serving your country.

Nothing to serve here. It is simply a job as anyother you choose for and you are paid for.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You are completely wrong about that. The government's website even has section devoted to 'Veterans UK'. You can visit it right here. Veterans UK And I am proud to be classified as one of them.

In passing, I've read most of the entries on this thread and I don't I've come across a bigger load of rubbish as I have today. So you're in good company.

Thank you for the Veterans UK link.

I will make the effort to fill in the form tomorrow or at the weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the Veterans UK link.

I will make the effort to fill in the form tomorrow or at the weekend.

You might be interested in this site. Some good Information and of course some banter.

IMG_2496.png

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Where is the "sick comment" emoji when you need it?

Do you really think that hospitals in Thailand stick to the truth when giving cause of death??? THeir main criteria is "what do they want to here/ what did you have in mind?"

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CHdiver said:

Will there now be every death of a tourist be reported in future? Or just the gofundme <deleted>. I guess that should be put in a new category. Even better, stop this nonsense. Nobody wants to read such nonevents for the majority of users. Thank you.

Please don't presume to speak on my behalf. Accidents and incidents are all news. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, kwilco said:

the tragic death in a road accident of the woman is reduced to a foot note....yet the latter clearly raises more issues.

Well said.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

a white passenger van ran a red light at the main intersection and hit her on May 5.

Pattaya Plod's non-interference road policy scores another victim.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Nobody wants to read such nonevents for the majority of users.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Please don't presume to speak on my behalf.

I can't edit my answer, but if I could I would wirte Nobody, but jacko45k, wants to read such nonevents..... Additionally I would like to include all other members with a morbide curiosity.

My sincere apologies to all of you. 

On 5/9/2024 at 11:34 AM, CHdiver said:

stop this nonsense. Nobody wants to read such nonevents for the majority of users. Thank you.

Stop your nonsense...it is you who needs to stop their nonsense, you speak for no one here except yourself and I'd guess that many members are interested in reports such as this that may be relevant to them.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

You might be interested in this site. Some good Information and of course some banter.

IMG_2496.png

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately when I did an internet search I could not seem to find them. Many other links, but not one linking to them.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately when I did an internet search I could not seem to find them. Many other links, but not one linking to them.

Strange I just done a search and it came up straight away.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 12:09 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Could have been a bucket of ice cold water that killed him ?

Bacterial meningitis from the filthy water, probably. Can cause death within hours. Same as what done in Jeff Beck.

The Authorities wouldn't want it publicized, for obvious reason.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1