Condo purchase in Pattaya ?

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Too many variables to provide a good answer, but if you can buy a nice condo and not have to think too much about the money, it might not be a bad idea. If you're planning on dumping your life savings into it, don't. 

okay thanks,      I have plenty,   it's more for peace of mind,  and knowing i can stay forever.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ThaiNoobie101 said:

Just curious,   What do you pay in Rent?

A better question is how much it would cost to rent the condo you are thinking about buying. 

Advantages and disadvantages to both owning and renting. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ThaiNoobie101 said:

Just curious,   What do you pay in Rent?

Currently living in a crappy small condo for 6,000 thb,  that i can't wait to leave.
i might as well buy something nice as i have the money,

I def do not want to fork over 25,000 to someone else every month.

• Agree 2

Depends on age, 50s definitely, late 60s or 70s not worth it.

Nice to change things if you want, new TV, bed, AC whatever and not pay rent.

It's not an investment though, can make more money elsewhere

• Like 2

It comes down to why you want to buy a condo. If you are buying to sell for a profit, then NO, its not a good idea. The Thai market doesn't work like that with flipping and capital gains. Properties can be worth the same 10 years later.

If you are buying to own, live in, not pay rent etc, then YES, its a great idea. They are incredibly cheap to buy, the fees are cheap. In as little as 8 years you can save the purchase price in rent not paid. Its yours, no rent increase, you can decorate to taste, and even that is not expensive.

The main thing to be aware of is there is no sales data in Thailand, often its hard to know what the realistic price is for a property. Asking price means nothing. You can see 1M baht condos for sale for 3M.

People buy the 3M baht condo then, when they cant sell it and see other similar condos selling for 1M, complain how bad the market is. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The main thing to be aware of is there is no sales data in Thailand, often its hard to know what the realistic price is for a property. Asking price means nothing. You can see 1M baht condos for sale for 3M.

I think this and maybe other websites can give you a good idea about the prices.

https://www.fazwaz.com/

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think this and maybe other websites can give you a good idea about the prices.

https://www.fazwaz.com/

They are still just listing the various asking prices, not what properties sell for. There is no official data or statistics they can draw on.

I sold a condo last week, fazwaz has no idea what I sold it for.

Look up your own condo block, often it will be very wrong.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends on age, 50s definitely, late 60s or 70s not worth it.

Nice to change things if you want, new TV, bed, AC whatever and not pay rent.

It's not an investment though, can make more money elsewhere

I have to disagree.  For me, it's always 'worth it' to own my space--and, even more so in my later years.  I've owned, for reasons I stated in my earlier post, in my 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Why would that change when I hit 60 or 70?  Or 80, if I live that long?

If I can afford to own a nice place, to do with it what I want, and have the things I have collected over a life time, why not--at any age.   I'm 72 and my spouse and I are about half-way through building our next house here in Pattaya on the Darkside.  As always, it's been fun, interesting, and challenging.  Age is just a number.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Many I know hate that they own.  Noisy neighbors, stinky food from vents coming into your room, a new bar opens near the building, minimum appreciation, life changes relationships/ family, a newer better building opens nearby you wish you would have bought there, that empty lot next to you is now a construction site for the next 2 years, I need to say more?

The lack of flexibility, etc owning is not for me.  Lots of people stuck in their places trying to get out. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I guess it was mentioned already.

It might be difficult to sell for a reasonable price in a reasonable time frame.

I.e. in the building where I live are the same units for sale since many years, some of them for reasonable prices. It seems only few people are interested at all to buy. Probably there are just so many condominiums for sale and there are not enough buyers for all of them (maybe in general or maybe only in specific areas). 

I have not enough experience, but I would guess if you want to sell for a decent price, don't assume this will be done within a couple of months.

Posted (edited)

owning a pool villa (to live in) and a beachfront condo to rent out, making about 6% p/a fully rented for years and planing to use it for myself in old age, peace of mind and never regret it 🙂, I am in Pattaya

If new in the market I advive using a trustful agent

Edited by MrJ
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I have to disagree.  For me, it's always 'worth it' to own my space--and, even more so in my later years.  I've owned, for reasons I stated in my earlier post, in my 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Why would that change when I hit 60 or 70?  Or 80, if I live that long?

If I can afford to own a nice place, to do with it what I want, and have the things I have collected over a life time, why not--at any age.   I'm 72 and my spouse and I are about half-way through building our next house here in Pattaya on the Darkside.  As always, it's been fun, interesting, and challenging.  Age is just a number.

If you added in your labour costs you'd make a loss every time, you see it as a hobby fair enough, most wouldn't. Pointless buying in 70s if you plan to sell several years later, we all know how hard it is to sell plus loss, 5% agent commission loss straight off

• Like 1

I'd recommend saving yourself some time and just search and read the 100's of other threads on the same subject, inevitably you'll end up reading the same arguments for and against from the same people that inevitably will appear on here over the next couple of days, you'll just get there quicker. 

In short it's a personal decision based on your finances and preferred style of living - permanence or transient, I think other peoples experiences are irrelevant and will cloud your decision making.

Just now, kinyara said:

I'd recommend saving yourself some time and just search and read the 100's of other threads on the same subject, inevitably you'll end up reading the same arguments for and against from the same people that inevitably will appear on here over the next couple of days, you'll just get there quicker. 

In short it's a personal decision based on your finances and preferred style of living - permanence or transient, I think other peoples experiences are irrelevant and will cloud your decision making.

Imagine if this forum would have a good search function...

And imagine it would have a summary of 10-page threads.

But maybe, now that AN publishes AI generated news, maybe they could have AI generated summaries. So instead of reading 10 pages with at least half the posts irrelevant maybe there could be a short summary. Now that would be nice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, ThaiNoobie101 said:

Does anyone here own a condo in Pattaya ?
If Yes,   was it a good or bad decision to buy the Condo? 

I would never dream.There's a million condos everywhere and you can move whenever you get bad neighbors. In floating sky boxes you have zero control over your surroundings and so many things can go wrong.

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

I would never dream.There's a million condos everywhere and you can move whenever you get bad neighbors. In floating sky boxes you have zero control over your surroundings and so many things can go wrong.

For example? 

Posted (edited)

I was going to buy a condo in Bangkok. Everything seemed perfect with this brand new shiny condo. However, last minute i changed my mind and just rented it. 

Great decision. For the first year condo was run well, those in charge were on top of everything. However it is now becoming over run with airbnb/short term rentals. They are now sending emails in Russian and Chinese. Those in charge seem powerless or have no will to stop this. It's essentially now just a hotel with huge turnover of guests in and out. 

I'll be out of here when my tennancy runs out. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1