Thai Banks To Face Rigorous Compliance Regulations Starting June

webfact

23 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Guess we’d better do that before we get swept up in the new stringent crackdown 

... Or before account in your name used to receive bribes, drug or gambling revenues or something of that nature  once your daughter gets a bit older and gets assimilated to local business habits (if she lives here)...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Should be only possible for one year extension visas and regular residence. And a minimum deposit of 10.000 Baht.🙏

Why....?

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Why would I NEED to have a crypto account?

Isn't that required to support people selling crypto? 

58 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Well, read the article. You know the story about one rotten apple....

Actually, you don't need to have an account here as a traveller. Use your credit card! It works🙏

Farangy expats need you like a hole in the head...........🤔

54 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I've lived here many years, no bank has ever asked me for my visa status when opening a new account... just my passport.

They ask you for your passport, they look in it, and photo copy stuff......😉

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

In the context of your insistence that your bank doesn't care about your immigration status, you are assuming that your bank is only using your passport for proof of your ID. They will be looking for what long-stay entitlement you have from Thai immigration which conveniently, for them, is inside your passport, thus they have no need to ask you.

So why did you feel the need to ask me, if you already know the answer?

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

They took my passport which I already opened to the photo page, the copied it and handed it back.

They didn't even look at my immigration/visa pages.

Yeh, riiiiiight..........😂

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

For example, every immigration agent worth their salt has a local 'friendly' bank manager to make things work.

Otherwise it would be a Catch-22; no bank account, no long-term visa extension, and vice versa, with, perhaps, fewer expats in the future. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

So why did you feel the need to ask me, if you already know the answer?

To suppress any misinformation wrought by the disingenuous obfuscation of the pedantically inclined.

Edited by NanLaew

As usual they will harass the decent foreigner retiree for a bank account. But no problem for the scum and criminals to have multiple accounty, stay illegally and so on. That's how things usually work in a corrupt and undevelopped country. One harasses  the decent foreigners on administrative and mainly visa iussues. You tell them "no like, then leave" and other rubbish, but you like the foreigners money however. But we are no better as we seem to like being treated of the sort and stay on. All this just for the sake of those busty 25 year olds😆

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, JackGats said:

There would be freedom of movement of individuals they said. Then came the compliance/money laundering charade, and individuals got denied bank accounts except in their homeland, and then only provided they stayed to reside there.

Soon we will have as much liberty of movement as the people in the UDSSR during the cold war. This will be achieved through the denial of banking services.

This what Governments, WEF,WHO,and UN want. They want the CBDC so then everything is tied to your digital I.D. Be a naughty boy in their eyes, maybe post something they do not like, and your credit is cut off. Total control.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Wasn't it already difficult enough for some foreigners to open a  Thai bank account?

No, one only went to your embassy, got a letter only stating what ever adress you told them. Then go to rhe bank with your passport and you got a bank account. It can be done even without a visa. Nothing hard.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

In the context of this post/replies my visa status is irrelevant.... when opening my bank accounts over the years I have never been asked about my visa status.

Because, your visa status is in your passport, and most banks look.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mran66 said:

... Or before account in your name used to receive bribes, drug or gambling revenues or something of that nature  once your daughter gets a bit older and gets assimilated to local business habits (if she lives here)...

I think the money gets spend right away next morning on leaving the hotel !!🤣

• Haha 2

Lite on the details, but whenever you see an  announcement like this it's certain to create a fuster-cluck 💯 it's already bad enough today that each bank seems to follow its own set of rules when foreigners request to open an account. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Should be only possible for one year extension visas and regular residence. And a minimum deposit of 10.000 Baht.🙏

And with a verified address - e.g., house book or signed lease (no hotel, AbnB addresses).

Are they trying to make it even more difficult to make a payment by bank, or maybe we will again soon be able to make a bank transfer via the website as is common in so many western countries, and which has been abolished here for some stupid reason.
What a hoot that thai banking system is.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Although no details have been provided whatsoever, it's pretty clear that this will be bad news for anyone who wants to open a new bank account for perfectly legitimate reasons. More requirements, more documents, more confusion among the poorly educated bank clerks. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

They took my passport which I already opened to the photo page, the copied it and handed it back.

They didn't even look at my immigration/visa pages.

Copy of email I received  in 2014.

visa email_Page_1.jpg

visa email_Page_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just in case what?  The mainstream retail banks won't go down that route, but, so what if they did, they're private businesses, it would be their prerogative to do so

that might end retirees coming here...but who knows what might come about here.  Now today we learn that Prayut & co. have  been cut out of the good positions in the new govt...but I thought he was in charge of putting together the new charter for the govt...guess he will change all to military again but who knows, not this old man.

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

This what Governments, WEF,WHO,and UN want. They want the CBDC so then everything is tied to your digital I.D. Be a naughty boy in their eyes, maybe post something they do not like, and your credit is cut off. Total control.

Yes you hits the nail on the head, always one step ahead in the whole world, lemmings we are.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

To suppress any misinformation wrought by the disingenuous obfuscation of the pedantically inclined.

Swallow a dictionary did we?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1