Getting old

Hi, been a smoker and drinker 53 years now 70 year old, starting to feel the problems, bronchitis throat problems, question is would a MRI scan or a medical check up be better. Thanks 

• Like 1

It's worth getting a full medical check up and a professional medical opinion. It may help motivate you to quit smoking and start doing a bit of mild exercise. Walking in nature may give your lungs a new lease of life. Going to a sauna and steam bath, may also clear your lungs a bit. I was diagnosed with COPD. This was the wake up call I needed to quit smoking. COPD is irreversible but it can improve a lot with regular exercise. Good luck 🙏🌹🙏

• Thanks 1

I have always believed that going into doctors surgeries or, even worse, hospitals is a sure fire way to make yourself ill. Can I ask do you know if your vital signs are OK? If you've been a blood donor in Thailand (until now) and/or in your home country that's a reasonable clue. Do you ever REALLY need to take any medication apart from for bronchitis?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I have always believed that going into doctors surgeries or, even worse, hospitals is a sure fire way to make yourself ill. Can I ask do you know if your vital signs are OK? If you've been a blood donor in Thailand (until now) and/or in your home country that's a reasonable clue. Do you ever REALLY need to take any medication apart from for bronchitis?

You can't be a blood donor in Thailand if you're over 60yo!

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I commenced at 63 at our local mobile collection sessions because of previously being a blood/plasma/platelet donor in U.K. Apparently, everyone gets sacked off at 70. That also used to be the upper limit in UK, however there is now no upper limit providing you continue to be healthy.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

correct l offered blood to a hospital in Buriram when I was 62, rejected to old

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ancharee said:

correct l offered blood to a hospital in Buriram when I was 62, rejected to old

That's annoying and not in the spirit of wanting to give your blood for the benefit of others. Had you previously donated elsewhere?

16 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

That's annoying and not in the spirit of wanting to give your blood for the benefit of others. Had you previously donated elsewhere?

not in thailand but often in the uk

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ancharee said:

not in thailand but often in the uk

Did they ask (or did you tell them) about that? I was accepted at 63 by The Red Cross at a local mobile collection session on the basis of previously donating in UK and I continue to donate at 67. Assuming the rules don't change I will be sacked off, same as everyone, else at 70.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure why you are asking this kind of question here. But my two cents is use common sense. Go see a Doctor!! If you have not had regular common annual health checks then might as well start now ... unless you don't care about your health. My advice... don't play Doctor and also avoid all the so called "advice" here. No place to be asking serious medical questions. even some of the replies here are just comical to the point of disturbing.

Here may well be the last place you want to ask for serious medical advice unless you looking for experience with particular procedures from particular Thai institutions. That can be helpful here. 

I'd ask the moderators to move this topic to the appropriate forum too. This is the I drink to much forum. Seems the OP is concerning general health. Drinking and Smoking too much... well that is obviously frowned on by the medical community at large and asking here just seems to be a form of procrastination.

Get up from the desk, go outside, take a car, bus or other mode of transport and get yourself to a reputable hospital for a general physical exam.  From there a good doctor will suggest further particular tests based on their findings etc. It could be an MRI, CT scan, ultrasound depending... more than likely a full panel of blood tests and xrays etc..

Edited by StandardIssue

On 5/11/2024 at 8:54 PM, Denim said:

Any medical check ups or scans will only tell you basically what you already know. Whatever the outcome the advice is almost bound to be stop making things any worse.

How do you know what he already knows? A medical exam and suggested tests from a good reputable Doctor could very well find a lot of other issues that could be addressed to help the man live longer.. WTF?