I think Thailand should only allow cannabis in Public hospitals for medical purposes.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

control imports

this is a huge undertaking. i doubt this part of the issue can be resolved when it goes far beyond cannabis imports. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To date I don't see any distinction between the retail shops that operate as a medical dispensary with thai traditional medicine licence vs just shops that sell recreationally, are they even being policed? 

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, advancebooking said:

The solution to the problem is to only have medical cannabis distributed by clinics

You have to define "medical cannabis".

I don't think a government hospital (it's clinics and doctors) is going to prescribe and sell a product that is smoked. Many of the patients, young people with epilepsy, and elderly with palliative requirements simply cannot ingest a medicine by smoking it.

I think you'll propose extracts, pills, or oils (taken orally).

The way forward for medical cannabis requires training doctors, nurses and other health care professionals, defining specific diagnoses for which cannabis might be applicable, and producing standardized cannabis medicines. This would take a few years to implement. (Some basic steps have been taken by DTAM, Department of Traditional Meedicine within the MoPH.)

Some people are expecting Thailand to adopt a Western medical model, a patient goes to a "doctor", and says "It hurts when I do this", the doctor says ok you can buy medical cannabis. I'm not sure foreigners would qualify, maybe those with Thai social security and medical coverage. Production of "medicine" will have to be tightly controlled.

The Western medical model is a bit of a bait and switch. It was concocted as an interim "safe" step towards full recreational use. But some states in the U.S., Florida for example, have only a few diagnoses for which cannabis is approved.

http://flboardofmedicine.gov/forms/know-facts-about-qualified-physicians.pdf

Edited by bamnutsak

11 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I don't think a government hospital (it's clinics and doctors) is going to prescribe and sell a product that is smoked. Many of the patients, young people with epilepsy, and elderly with palliative requirements simply cannot ingest a medicine by smoking it.

The way forward for medical cannabis requires training doctors, nurses and other health care professionals, defining specific diagnoses for which cannabis might be applicable, and producing standardized cannabis medicines. This would take a few years to implement. (Some basic steps have been taken by DTAM, Department of Traditional Meedicine within the MoPH.)

Some people are expecting Thailand to adopt a Western medical model, a patient goes to a "doctor", and says "It hurts when I do this", the doctor says ok you can buy medical cannabis. I'm not sure foreigners would qualify, maybe those with Thai social security and medical coverage. Production of "medicine" will have to be tightly controlled.

The Western medical model is a bit of a bait and switch. It was concocted as an interim "safe" step towards full recreational use. But some states in the U.S., Florida for example, have only a few diagnoses for which cannabis is approved.

I forgot to mention that at my local govt hospital there was a dept with medical cannabis sign on the office door. Patients can queue up. I saw it last year 12 months ago. I actually think it should be the only option for thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

Posts like this is where I am with the Thai people. Like who cares what you think about a subject like this? The only time I complain is about sites like this one (asean.com aka thaivisa) or when the government try to highlight/attack foreigners as problems, when I know for a fact foreigners are actually a small problem in Thailand and most of the problems worth talking about are home grown. I watch local news in Thailand and actually talk to people on the street. I know what's going on. Other than that I am not butting into their business or issues.  

11 hours ago, advancebooking said:

I forgot to mention that at my local govt hospital there was a dept with medical cannabis sign on the office door.

Yes, this is run by DTAM  https://ockt.dtam.moph.go.th/

Cannabis is currently approved for a limited number of conditions.

DMS’s guidance for the use of cannabinoids product
Medical cannabis benefits for six conditions include: neuropathic pain,
chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, intractable epilepsy, spasticity from
multiple sclerosis, AIDS-related cachexia, and palliative care conditions
May be beneficial for conditions including generalized anxiety disorder, Parkinson
disease, Alzheimer disease, and demyelinating disease

Might be beneficial for cancer treatment, but more information and research are needed

1 minute ago, mrfill said:

You have come up with a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist.

he hasn't come up with a solution to anything other than filling a few  currently empty seats in government hospital waiting rooms!  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, cowellandrew said:

Great idea are you stoned?

probably drunk, maybe the alcohol regulations actually do need tightening up. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davedub said:

As a healthy, informed adult I thoroughly resent being told by a government what I can and cannot imbibe. No government has any business whatsoever doing so; it is my body and it is my choice, not theirs

Same goes for self righteous posters on internet forums 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/11/2024 at 8:19 PM, advancebooking said:

So the government is rightly doing a backflip on the mess caused by Mr Auntin. Its been a balls-up from the start but what do you expect from him. 

The solution to the problem is to only have medical cannabis distributed by clinics in Thai government hospitals throughout the country. Close ALL other retail shops

Its the only viable solution. The government should pay compensation to retail shops when closing. End of story. 

Thoughts?

Well, that's what I heard in TV. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Well simply enforcing the current regulations, ( not for under 21's)  would solve that problem

This, so eloquently put, is the "solution".

Cannabis in Thailand is well-regulated. But those regulations are not enforced. The RTP seems to want an all-or-nothing approach to enforcement, so I'd rely on an alternative policing mechanism for enforcement.

Yes, it could be even more regulated, particularly on the product side (consistent, tested, no chemicals).

Maybe limit the number of distribution licenses based on population in a district/subdistrict.

And increase the tax to 10% with 3% going towards methamphetamine treatment/recovery centers.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I have had CBD oil from a hospital.

On 5/11/2024 at 8:34 PM, Denim said:

Yes, seems sensible to save the weak from themselves. Would you agree then that all alcohol should be included in the same legislation in the interests of public health and safety since it is manifestly obvious that it offers no positives to society other than the taxes the government gets from its sale.

All bars, and similar entertainment  establishments would not be affected since they could still sell soft drinks,shakes and coffee.

A real win win for public health and safety which would really make Thailand a family holiday hub.

In my opinion, you are a member of the Mormons, and looking at your picture only confirms that.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2