Printer Recommendation

Any suggestion for a cheap 3 in 1 printer with factory ink tanks.  Hopefully under 3000 baht.  No Canon printers.  They decided not to update my old printer drivers to Windows 11 along with a zillion other planned obsolescence gimmicks.  I know they are all the same but Canon is a drastic offender.  

4 minutes ago, proton said:

Canon is off my list as well- no support for Mac these days, i'd get an Epson

well I had a Canon, minor problems probably due to age  (mine and the printer) so used my daughters - cost is 5470 right now so above what you asked for but it scans, prints, all kinds of special things as my daughter was in HS and now college and does all kinds of things with it.   It has wifi or cable hookup, prints fairly quiet, and easy to fill ink and easy to find - Brother DCP-T520W.  Originally windows did the troubleshooting but dropped that I think last year but brother uploads free and so any problems we have had were fixed by upgrading the software easily.  Good luckj

• Thanks 1

Brother printers?

I guess after some time all devices arent updated with good drivers, they simply let you buy a new one.

Same as with all electronic devices. It is good for business, not for your wallet.

Im sure they also put in inferior components to last for maybe 4 years (just out of guarantee) and then, buy new one.

After some update in W10, cant get my Epson to work anymore. Despite going to site, it is said then, you already has the best drivers, NOT.

Found some shizzle , but nope, not working. Even the Epson install CD is not for W10 anymore. Rejected. Yes it is that old.

Every time it is windows to kil all.

Some talk about durability, but the reality is quite different.

I've had an Epson L3250 for 3 years or so.  Only problem that I've had was to clean the print heads (via their program).  I think that's pretty darn good as it sometimes sits in the unairconditioned condo for months without use (when I'm traveling).

• Thanks 1

I have the Epson 3250. So far, so good. However, the color seems to print a little off. Scans have too much grey haze where it should be white. Perhaps my expectations are too high for a low price model. But it gets the job done.

• Thanks 1

Printers under 3000 Baht work like this: they will sell you cheap machine. They might even lose money on it. But it's not problem because they know you will be forced buy ink from them. And that's where they make money. 👺 👺 👺

I once bought cheap printer for around 2000 Baht. After printing 100 pages it run out of ink. I looked and new cartridge prices and calculated that it would cost me 4 Baht per page! 🥵 While the shop across the road charges 1 Baht for page. So I threw that printer into a trash. 😮‍💨

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

The cheapest one. When run out ink buy a new one 

Why. Buy a Brother printer with refillable color mag. Then you only pay about 500-600 baht for refill every time. You can print thousand of documents and images on one mag.

• Like 1

I bought a brother printer with refillable tanks, 3 years ago, and the tanks are still 50% full. Still works great.

It doesn't get a lot of use, yearly marriage extension (that's half a ream of paper, lol), wife prints photos and signs for her business, menus for a friends cafe.

It has a great feature, even if turned off, it cycles through a jet clean once a month. So no surprises when you go to use it after a spell.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why. Buy a Brother printer with refillable color mag. Then you only pay about 500-600 baht for refill every time. You can print thousand of documents and images on one mag.

Leave it to pros. As said can find cheaper per copy prices at print shops

10 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I think that was maybe the case buying expensive replacement cartridges. Nowadays you can buy 4 100ml bottle refills for less than 100 baht, 50 baht on lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/canon-100-ml-color-fly-i

• Like 1

I wish Fuji-Xerox still made consumer level printers.  Seven years ago, I bought the cheapest 3-in-1 lazar printer IT City sold: a B1900 Fuji-Xerox model that is still operating now without ever having an issue. Also never had a problem with aftermarket toner cartridges.

Posted (edited)

Thats my combo. The epson ink tank was a game changer, consumable last, and last, and... The Brother is good for quality B&W text, remember some infamous Thai bureaucracies don't like colour copies and B&W print on the Epson is so so.

I will probably get only buy "print only" units in the future and add a quality flat bed scanner to my gear.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 07.48.22.png

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I guess that depends on if you want to have a printer or not. To me, it sounded like the OP was asking about that.

Ok, let´s say you can print about 2500 - 3000 b/w copies on one mag. Then you are also only using the black color. So, a refill would be 100 - 150 baht. That makes 150/2500. A price of 6 satang per copy. If you squeeze 3000 copies out, it will be 5 satang/copy. Just wondering, where do you find that price?

Another thing, I am wondering is how you with that result can call yourself a pro? Maybe you are an electrician, and calculate that price too. Yeah, I know, it will be a satang more per copy. 😂

Anyway, you were calling out the wrong guy. Working with computers for most of my life. Nice try, though.

14 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Brother printers?

I guess after some time all devices arent updated with good drivers, they simply let you buy a new one.

Same as with all electronic devices. It is good for business, not for your wallet.

Im sure they also put in inferior components to last for maybe 4 years (just out of guarantee) and then, buy new one.

After some update in W10, cant get my Epson to work anymore. Despite going to site, it is said then, you already has the best drivers, NOT.

Found some shizzle , but nope, not working. Even the Epson install CD is not for W10 anymore. Rejected. Yes it is that old.

Every time it is windows to kil all.

Some talk about durability, but the reality is quite different.

MS dropped troubleshooting brother printers I think 2 years ago....When we began to have problems with out brother printer I received that note so I checked brother and they provide the latest software update, loaded it an printer works fine now.  Within a couple of weeks got a note from brother that there was a new update which took a minute to load and printer/scanner work as they are supposed to.  Daughter also uses it for Apple laptop

• Like 1

Don't bother with inkjets.  Go with a laser printer.  The toner cartridges last magnitudes longer than inkjet cartridges and your cost per printed page is a fraction of an inkjet printer.

https://shopee.co.th/เครื่องปริ้นเตอร์มือสองมัลติฟังก์ชันเลเซอร์-Brother-DCP-1510-i.654727218.22015998777?sp_atk=ce7e120e-e9c3-4823-b77b-89e9ca931c7e&xptdk=ce7e120e-e9c3-4823-b77b-89e9ca931c7e

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, lungbing said:

And  lasers are always ready and do not get blocked ink nozzles that cause you to waste a lote of ink to clear them.

It depends if you only use Black and white in which case lasers are the way to go!  But for the occasional colour job they are too expensive!

PS; Just thought if you do a lot of B&W and very little colour then go laser for B&W and the local Phot type shop for the odd colour!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

It depends if you only use Black and white in which case lasers are the way to go!  But for the occasional colour job they are too expensive!

PS; Just thought if you do a lot of B&W and very little colour then go laser for B&W and the local Phot type shop for the odd colour!

Yes we bought the Brother printer because our daughter used it for a lot of color printing while the Canon while it worked was mostly for B&W.  But I don't know the cost of the laser printers so I am happy with what we have.  Great info providing on this forum too. Thanks for this info even though it was meant for someone else.

• Like 1

Last year I bought a HP smart tank 510 for the first time ever I have a printer without leaks and strapon tanks it works faultlessly everytime no matter how long its been standing 5 star🤔

• Thanks 1