Thailand's Regulator May Take Action Against AIS for Service Disruption

webfact

image.png

Thailand's National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has demanded an explanation from mobile phone provider AIS following a service disruption on Friday evening. 

NBTC chairman Sarana Boonbaichaiyapruck has stated that AIS, as one of the country's major mobile service providers, must clarify the cause of the disruption and provide compensation to affected customers.

Boonbaichaiyapruck, who was personally impacted by the disruption, has warned that AIS could face sanctions if they fail to offer a satisfactory explanation for the incident.

In response, AIS has issued an apology and pledged to compensate affected subscribers. The company plans to send out SMS messages to customers, including those on unlimited and other packages, outlining the compensation they can expect by Monday.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, dinsdale said:

It was down for 50 minutes. This is why a cashless society is not a good idea. No internet then no internet transactions. I wonder how many were at a checkout and ooops, no internet and no cash to pay for the goods.

Ooohh err missus, 50 minutes! End of the world scenario. In any case, not everyone uses AIS. Can switch to card payment. Where do you get your cash? From an ATM?

Edited by bradiston

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

Ooohh err missus, 50 minutes! End of the world scenario.

Not the point. What if it was two hours? 24 hrs? Payment needed urgently for for one thing or another? No internet then no payment. This is what happens when payment can only be used whith an internet connection.  As for the 50 minutes this alone can equal a massive amount of lost revenue. It doesn't take that much brain power to work out the negatives of a totally cashless society. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Not the point. What if it was two hours? 24 hrs? Payment needed urgently for for one thing or another? No internet then no payment. This is what happens when payment can only be used whith an internet connection.  As for the 50 minutes this alone can equal a massive amount of lost revenue. It doesn't take that much brain power to work out the negatives of a totally cashless society. 

Ever heard of an ATM? I'm pretty sure they don't run on AIS. Probably TOT fibre, or 3bb. I mean, somewhere along the line you're going to need a cash distribution point. It doesn't grow on trees. So if the banks are closed and the ATM is out of order, what are you going to do for cash?

Just now, bradiston said:

Ever heard of an ATM? I'm pretty sure they don't run on AIS. Probably TOT fibre, or 3bb. I mean, somewhere along the line you're going to need a cash distribution point. It doesn't grow on trees. So if the banks are closed and the ATM is out of order, what are you going to do for cash?

ATM's aren't going to work if you are cardless. Many people are these days. ATM swallowed my card not that long ago and I just started using the cardless function which of course requires you to have internet to access the app. I did get a new card for this very reason.

6 hours ago, bradiston said:

Where do you get your cash? From an ATM?

You get cash from the ATM before you go shopping and thus would never be in the position of having all your groceries rung up and bagged and unable to pay for them.

• Agree 1

On 5/13/2024 at 6:13 AM, webfact said:

image.png

Thailand's National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has demanded an explanation from mobile phone provider AIS following a service disruption on Friday evening. 

NBTC chairman Sarana Boonbaichaiyapruck has stated that AIS, as one of the country's major mobile service providers, must clarify the cause of the disruption and provide compensation to affected customers.

Boonbaichaiyapruck, who was personally impacted by the disruption, has warned that AIS could face sanctions if they fail to offer a satisfactory explanation for the incident.

In response, AIS has issued an apology and pledged to compensate affected subscribers. The company plans to send out SMS messages to customers, including those on unlimited and other packages, outlining the compensation they can expect by Monday.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

That's fine, but in English too please. 

Just now, NoshowJones said:

That's fine, but in English too please. 

I am sick to death of adverts coming on my smartphone from AIS every day and I have to keep deleting them. Anyone else have that problem?

12 hours ago, John Drake said:

You get cash from the ATM before you go shopping and thus would never be in the position of having all your groceries rung up and bagged and unable to pay for them.

So if the ATMs out, you just go hungry then?

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

yes, but why just AIS, where's the action against 3BB, True, DTAC threads?

Search me. I don't use the 2 latter, but with 3bb, I just have to bite the bullet. It's force majeure. There's not a lot they can do short term, but actually they seem to be managing quite well. I find Sky is quite badly affected so look for other channels carrying  the same content, eg Astro, TNT etc. I hope to see Fury getting banged up by Usyk! And Chelsea getting some European action after a pretty dreadful season.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It was 50 minutes. 

Exactly, so why all the fuss? ATMs don't run on AIS. All these Canutist Luddites who can't keep up with progress are really behaving like brats. Tantrum after tantrum over technology they don't understand and accuse of being part of some madman's conspiracy theory about chip implants and COVID delivered from a 5g tower. Remember that beauty? Wake up guys. Yes, be woke! You know it makes sense, cos you don't.

11 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

The topic is the same, it does not matter who it is against.

It's not the same at all. AIS and 3bb operate in different sectors, providing different services. AFAIK, 3bb don't sell SIM cards but I might be mistaken. They are primarily an ISP, not a telecommunications company, though quite possibly telecom services are run over the cables they lease bandwidth on. I'm not sure how affected AIS would be by broken subsea cables. I've not heard what AIS gave as a reason for the outage. I've had problems from time to time with them, but everything has been running smoothly for 6 months. I have an AIS SIM router in a property 300km away on a remote island which continues to send me motion detect pictures. Costs 200 THB pm. My phone SIM same.

• Thanks 1