Thailand Unveils 10-Year Visa to Attract Top Global Talent

webfact

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, webfact said:

The goal is to transform the nation into a leading agricultural and food production hub, potentially tripling local farmers’ incomes.

Government Spokesman Chai Wacharonke added that this directive aligns with Thailand's aspiration to become a global agricultural centre, enhancing food security worldwide. The detailed strategy is expected by month’s end, with rapid implementation to follow in June.

The comprehensive plan will focus on developing Thailand as a plant genetics centre, improving agricultural water management, promoting soil health, and using satellite technology to combat agricultural burning.

You've to read this twice!

Big dreams of "hubs, leading, global, etc." again, by a "new" badged, old visa type.

Everything will be implemented at the end of June. Lol.

To achieve that, they need heeps of international experts, paying competitive salaries, competitive working times, and social security (6/9 a week, public holidays+1 week payed leave + SSO is surely not).

In addition, a workforce of "willing" people (maybe Chinese?).

Everybody, who worked in the copy shoveling, administrative sector, in Lalaland, knows what I mean. When it comes to ignorance, laziness against effectiveness. 

And some "cracks" think, they can achieve their sky high, delusional dream targets, by issuing a new modified copy, of already failed, visa types. 

If you've a nail in your foot, you can walk only in circles.

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

I said marriage or retirement visa not LTR/WP

LTR/WP is a retirement visa. I have it and I am married. What else do you need?

The only improvement I could imagine would be to give married guys the same prerogatives as married gals, with regards to permanent residence of citizenship. 

(Thailand will be laughing stock, when they introduce same sex marriages, in mixed couples  the foreigner will always apply as wife. My guess would be that they will address this issue with legalised bottom counts, if a foreigner tops too mut he'll get depolted.)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:22 PM, NoDisplayName said:

Hmmmm.............they've reduced the top tax rate for income derived from Thai sources from 35% to 17%.

At the same time, they've instituted universal income tax whereby all income worldwide is subject to Thai tax........at 17% top tax rate.....for anyone deemed a resident for tax purposes.

Hub of consistency.

Am hoping I can get onto the 17% bandwagon.

I have my lawyer looking into it.

On 5/15/2024 at 11:38 PM, Maitdjai said:

To achieve that, they need heeps of international experts, paying competitive salaries, competitive working times, and social security (6/9 a week, public holidays+1 week payed leave + SSO is surely not).

If an expat expert is not on 4.5 day week with 20 days annual leave with a decent salary as well as  inclusions (rent/ utilities/car/fuel card)at minimum... then they have failed negotiation !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

If an expat expert is not on 4.5 day week with 20 days annual leave with a decent salary as well as  inclusions (rent/ utilities/car/fuel card)at minimum... then they have failed negotiation !

I'd say, this is a bit exaggerated, and therefore not many foreigners can achieve that in Thailand. Those people get mostly hired directly abroad, and even paid from abroad very often.
Besides that, it's not the Senior Level, where the demand is. 
It's the hierarchy mid-level, and below, where professional (theoretical and practical skilled), and motivated employees are needed.
There is the big gap, due to the archaic education system, and by that, the individual mindset of many employees. 
With conditions like above, every Thai with a 3rd class university degree prefers a government job (best to rest), where not even English is necessary.
The itself repeating, ridiculous visa jokes, are rather telling, that they don't want “Experts”, or skilled people, they want the money of the those.
How many Thai Companies/Enterprises paying the demanded salaries? If they do, how many jobs they're offering?

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Really ?,

I know many expats on similar to me.

Then, be happy, and get it “on”!
At least you've had the opportunity to mention it, and that you're a “negotiation” Expert.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I read today that Malaysia has 'officially' overtaken Thailand as the second largest motor vehicles market in SEAsia (for 3 quarters in a row).  This huge news because Thailand at 71 Million people was for a long long time second only to Indonesia with 277 Million. But Malaysia has only 31 Million and it has pushed past Thailand - meaning its economy is growing at a much faster rate than Thailand.  As I stated above, SEAsia manufacturing across all industries is now being dominated by Indonesia and Malaysia - when 15-20 years ago it was Thailand who dominated. This 10 year Visa is a lame attempt to 'attract' wealth into Thailand via the EEC, and IMO it is doomed to fail.  

good information. And it won't be long until Viet Nam surpasses Thailand as well. 

Edited by BayArea
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Then, be happy, and get it “on”!
At least you've had the opportunity to mention it, and that you're a “negotiation” Expert.

so you failed at contract negotiation then.

sorry to hear.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 9:22 AM, retarius said:

Why try to attract 'talent' when you don't list to anything a foreigner says?

Perhaps a sop to counter those who argue Thai rules on the presence of non tourists are basically xenophobic?

Edited by 0ffshore360
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 1:16 PM, jimgilly said:

They should offer a 5 or 10 year visa to expats who are retired here and have the valid required funds for either a marriage or retirement visa but of course that will never happen.

This visa is about attracting skilled professionals and having them stay longer term.

Most retirees and married men tend to be older and don't contribute much except bringing in funds to live on, so no incentive to give longer visas. They don't need or want to attract more of these types.

Really, we should be thankful that they still allow relatively hassle-free stay for these types of foreigners.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Sad 1

On 5/15/2024 at 11:38 PM, Maitdjai said:

You've to read this twice!

Big dreams of "hubs, leading, global, etc." again, by a "new" badged, old visa type.

Everything will be implemented at the end of June. Lol.

In addition, a workforce of "willing" people (maybe Chinese?).

Everybody, who worked in the copy shoveling, administrative sector, in Lalaland, knows what I mean. When it comes to ignorance, laziness against effectiveness. 

And some "cracks" think, they can achieve their sky high, delusional dream targets, by issuing a new modified copy, of already failed, visa types. 

If you've a nail in your foot, you can walk only in circles.

You are not wrong.

Little or nothing of above declarations of implementation of "intent" will materialize.

In terms of  industrial upgrades or development there will be a concentration of adopted ai intelligence applied to any or all mechanized production which may/will require short term experienced technicians importing acquired skills .

Tripling farmers incomes? There is a dream stae claim.

Agricultural products  from Thailand already compete with same from other sources that have economies secondary to Thailand.  Any deserving increase at all for the agricultural community would destroy  all types of exports .

Not that the agricultural export economy  could not reward farmer's output better but  because the  protection racket involved in export of product will never  relinguish profiteered gains !

If there are those who can not realize the capacity of  such  gains need only contemplate the gravity of Yingluck's avoidance of issues with the "rice Scheme".

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 11:17 AM, jimgilly said:

And what was the requirement to get your LTR/WP visa?

Yearly pension of 80000 USD and a decent Health Insurance/Social security.

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Doesn't even have to be only pension.  Can be combination of Interest, dividend, capital gains, IRA, etc.  Any "passive" income.  And to jimgilly do your own research at ltr.boi.go.th for requirements.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:20 AM, Ben Zioner said:

LTR/WP is a retirement visa. I have it and I am married. What else do you need?

Theres multiple LTRs not only LTR retirement.. High Net worth, talent / high skilled and work from Thailand also 

23 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Theres multiple LTRs not only LTR retirement.. High Net worth, talent / high skilled and work from Thailand also 

Hence the /WP suffix.

I was answering a post regarding retirement/marriage options.

15 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

So not the 400,000 baht requirement for the marriage visa or 800,000 baht for the retirement visa which is what I referred to or was this too difficult to understand?

Why do they call it a 10 year visa, when it is plainly only for 5 years? It is a 5 year visa with possibility of renewal. Not a breakthrough, not revolutionary. 

When I was head-hunted from the UK to the US, I didn't even ask how long the visa was for, let alone it being a factor of whether I should take the job or not; the company just said they would take care of it, and they did. It do know it was an H1-B visa and I still don't know how long it lasted...but I got a green card before it ran out. 

• Agree 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:29 PM, redwood1 said:

Boy you got this right these top end visas are breeding like rabbits...There seems to be a new one every 18-24 months...

Lets see we have the Smart visas, This new visa, the LTR visa, the OX visa..........All of these were cooked up in the recent past.....

And not even a bone was thrown to the average retired expat..

IMHO they gonna soon drastically limit those pointless yearly extension. They want quality long stayers.

• Confused 1

On 5/18/2024 at 11:03 PM, jimgilly said:

So not the 400,000 baht requirement for the marriage visa or 800,000 baht for the retirement visa which is what I referred to or was this too difficult to understand?

If you did a little research you would know that no you do not require 800,00 or 400,000.  Just 50,000 baht for ten years.  Yes you have to pay cash not pay some agent to put the money in the account for you.

On 5/19/2024 at 2:56 AM, retarius said:

Why do they call it a 10 year visa, when it is plainly only for 5 years? It is a 5 year visa with possibility of renewal. Not a breakthrough, not revolutionary. 

When I was head-hunted from the UK to the US, I didn't even ask how long the visa was for, let alone it being a factor of whether I should take the job or not; the company just said they would take care of it, and they did. It do know it was an H1-B visa and I still don't know how long it lasted...but I got a green card before it ran out. 

Guess the US is different than Thailand.  I also got green card called Thai LTR Visa.  Your US green card will not last forever.  Have to renew after 10 years.

11 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

If you did a little research you would know that no you do not require 800,00 or 400,000.  Just 50,000 baht for ten years.  Yes you have to pay cash not pay some agent to put the money in the account for you.

Can you explain more about how the 50,000 baht for ten years works as I've never heard of this being an option.  I currently have a retirement visa with 800,000 baht plus in one of my bank accounts to qualify for it. 

• Agree 1