Just what is life like in Rural Thailand- ever wondered ?

On 5/15/2024 at 7:12 PM, simon43 said:

I remember having to climb onto the roof of my ex's Isaan house in order to get a mobile phone signal to check my email....

Next time I brought emergency rations in the boot of my car because her mom used to feed me fish heads for lunch (she did actually like me!).

My experience was too many intestines in Isan dishes and too many whisky drinking socializing.  Some wonderful people and nature...but not my cup of cha.

I find it sadly amusing to read the drama style poor me justifications/excuses for those that have found cause to reject rural existence based on experiences that used to be true to various degrees 15 years ago.

At least in 2024 the claim that isolation from renditions  of civilization such as the ubiquitous 7/11 probably is only true  in the remote extreme  northern regions given the expansion of the PTT Fuel stops.

When I first started to live in my wife's small village house it was only  5 years after household water was made available and village streets were starting to be capped with concrete.

The majority of people were pedestrian or .rode bicycles while the  next slightly wealthier had a motorcycle on strict monthly credit plans while  motorcars of any description were ether also on lifetime credit plan or a perk of an elite Government title.

The nearest  highway was relatively  quiet in  daytime and almost  vacant  at night.

Children played in the streets in the evenings and weekends.

As a foreigner I was both a fascination and a threat due to natural ignorance and suspicion of cultural difference.

With a little persistence in maintaining a neutral attitude and physically pitching in to some community projects it was not difficult to avoid any  hope I might be an easy tap  for cash, including those who would become extended family .

Twenty plus years on I am content to say that I am generally considered just another community member who is  foreign and referred to or addressed as is any other person known  to the community.

Over the years I have witnessed the problems of other farang who have come and gone or if have stayed has become reclusive and bitter and mutually reviled.

I  can understand those who have come and gone while expressing an inability to cope with the Thai rural  life

but I have no liking for those that try to claim their own failure is due to  inferior Thai culture.

But I have to  acknowledge the  fact that Thai original culture via the internet has been  destroyed the rural young generation no less than the urban.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The channel is 200% about making money. It's beyond ego-driven. It lacks warmth in all forms and factors. Pretty sad actually. The clickbait titles are pathetic.

Really, we have no idea how this fellow really lives. It's all a facade.

Edited by Bohemianfish

I've no need to wonder as I have been in rural Thailand for 15 years.

The bamboo man is less than 1 per cent of farang life in rural Thailand and is therefore not representative, certainly regarding my associates, who live in normal housing with maybe a dog thrown in.

We've come here to retire not work farms, shops etc that's for the Thai members of the family.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:27 AM, BusNo8 said:

Hat's off to both of them - and they are true content creators not just walking about with a camera on a stick in a panic over some minor drama.

My 2 long-term Thai girlfriends both grew up on rural farms. The only time they wanted to see a chicken again is after it's been Kentucky-fried.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Utalk2mutt said:

Oh how right you are. Nearest big town to me is Nong Bua Lamphu (35km) then there’s Udon Thani (90km) and Khon Kaen (104 km). I am the only Farang in the village. Everyone knows me and I confess to not knowing many of them. I walk around the village ( exercise) and they all stop to chat (I speak Thai) (which is nice but adds an extra hour to my walk). They love to gossip I go for coffee every day, coffee shop is about 5km away someone from the village sees me and “reports back” to the missis who might I add is at work. They have actually called her to tell her where I am. The village jungle drums are constantly at work. One of the elder monks at the temple (300m from my home) took sick, was constipated, in pain and struggling to go “Poo Poo”. I have a great remedy for this problem “Psyllium husk” so I gave him 6 capsules to help free his bowels and stomach. Not long after the world fell out of his ass now the whole village knows I helped the monk and have commented on how the Farang is “jai dee” and I will definately be up for re-incarnation when my time comes. I just hope I have done enough not to come back as a buffalo.

Walking the earth, having adventures and healing peoples suffering with the power of dietary fiber.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

Walking the earth, having adventures and healing peoples suffering with the power of dietary fiber.

It’s the life of a buffalo for me right😀

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The rural bit never grabbed me but 5 years or so in a mid size town with a  population of approx 80,000 was fine.

Plenty shops, hospitals, markets, farang drinking company a few times a week and good travel connections to Bangkok, resorts and islands helped as well.

Certainly not for everybody but it was OK for me.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 2:38 PM, Hummin said:

Not so much for those who live in Isaan.

My experience expats invest far more in the families than they are asked to do. Personally I feel I get more back than I give. 

Still, there is many who do not know better, and fall in love with the wrong woman, with problem families. Thats the main mistake.

Re the your last sentence that can happen in any country or with any woman and of course we all change over time “ familiarity breeds contempt”

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:15 PM, CharlieH said:

It certainly looks good

1. **Lifestyle and Environment**: Life in rural Thailand is depicted as peaceful and fulfilling. Ryan and Damo emphasize the freedom, health benefits, and connection to nature they experience living in a remote part of Buriram province. They engage in farming, raising animals, and growing their own food, which includes rice, vegetables, and eggs from various poultry.

Let's not forget burning lots of plastic in your garden, despite there being a garbage collection service for 10 baht a month, or just littering everywhere. 

2. **Community and Social Life**: The local community is described as hard-working and close-knit where people enjoy a slower pace of life, frequently engaging in social and cultural activities such as festivals and temple visits. The community is also very supportive, helping each other with construction projects and sharing a strong bond over common activities. Ryan, being one of the few foreigners in the village, notes the welcoming and friendly nature of the villagers.

Ah, yes.

Sitting around drinking Lao Kao and gambling while waiting for the rainy season to plant rice while your daughter is selling herself in Pattaya.

And of course, the grandkids are totally neglected and abused. Surprise surprise.

3. **Economic and Building Projects**: The couple has been economically adaptive; they have ventured into different businesses from English schools to a jazz lounge before settling in rural Thailand. They mention constructing bamboo huts, an outdoor kitchen, and a cottage on their land, emphasizing a self-sufficient and eco-friendly lifestyle.

There's plenty of building in rural Thailand. I'll give them that.

Not much maintanence though.

4. **Cultural Integration**: Ryan and Damo's story also touches on cultural integration, where they describe their adjustment to the local lifestyle and how they contribute and fit into the community. Their experiences reflect a deeper appreciation and respect for the local culture and practices.

Your neighbors will call you farang even though they know your name, lol, but I don't think telling it like it is would be good for a YouTube channel 

5. **Personal History and Online Presence**: The couple met online when Ryan was teaching in Kanchanaburi and Damo was working in banking in Bangkok. They now run a YouTube channel "Life in Bamboo," where they share their rural lifestyle, intending to provide insights to others who might be interested in a similar lifestyle switch.

Yeah, the kids are glued to their phones in the villages too.....

....when they aren't playing around on motorbikes, of course 

6. **Future Outlook and Philosophy**: They focus on living in the present and enjoying their simple, peaceful life without the desire for extensive future planning or expansion. They express a philosophical approach to life that values simplicity, mindfulness, and community connections over materialistic goals. Overall, the interview provides a personal look into the fulfilling yet challenging life of a couple living in rural Thailand, integrating into a different culture, and finding contentment in a lifestyle aligned with nature and community.

Virtually everyone aged 18-60 leaves rural Thailand. 

There's a reason for that.

Rural Life in Thailand - 10 things you need to know - JAMES KING BLOG

At least you can buy booze anytime in rural areas from little shops like these.

Edited by FruitPudding

Brought the wife to USA.  Just seems like a better life here.   4 seasons, cleaner air, water from tap is all I've lived on my entire life.  Safe, everything close by great view of mountains.  No loud music, no roosters or dogs or monks making noise. 

But I do wonder if we were to move to Thailand where we would be happy.   Wife and I like gardening.   I see some farang show nice estates with a pool, beautiful yard and flowers and garden.  They have gardener, maid for cleaning and such.  Nice shop to make and fix stuff.  I could do that I think.   

Did spend 21 days in wife's village.  I survived.  Lots of relaxing and no one makes you feel guilty for not doing much all day.   Didn't appreciate the local drunks who could be passed out by 10 am.  And the bettle chewing old gals.   Some of the  kids have fancy electric scooters.  Burning trash is true and just trash dumped everywhere in Thailand.  Not a fan of soi dogs.  

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 12:20 AM, Will B Good said:

I suspect I have already commented sometime ago, but just in case

....it is e.ffing awful

Does the wife know this?  Is she willing to move for you?     Did your contributions to your living together allow her to save the money so she was able to afford to buy her dream land and home?

• 1 month later...

My wife's home is also a 35 Mk inutes drive to the next " town". There is, except from farming not much to do. There's two mon'n Pop shops and a big temple. That' s it. A river and a lake for fishing( what I don't do). Love the people there, many are family. But except during holidays, nobody is there, except old people and kids.