Age-Old Tradition Shores Up: Venus Clam Harvesting Commences in Banglamung

snoop1130

Clam_digging_001.jpg

Banglamung district's charming beaches of Naklua and Krating Lai are currently abuzz with the historic practice of Venus clam harvesting. A riveting sight unfolds daily as locals, spanning diverse ages and genders, embark on their quest to harvest the prized Venus clams off the shore amidst the ebbing tide.

Encompassing over 60 to 100 community members daily, these shores are transformed into a lively tableau of tradition steeped in dedication and resilience, where each clam harvester is armed with perseverance, efficient tools and capacious baskets. The harvested clams, a cherished addition to local cuisine, fetch up to 35 baht per kilogramme and come in bountiful abundance just beneath the sandy surface.

Among the harvesting crowd stands Nid Suksan, a 56-year-old beacon of dedication who manages to hoard an impressive 30 to 40 kilogrammes of clams daily, starting her harvest at the breaking of dawn. To Nid, and many others like her, clam harvesting is a practice deeply entrenched in their lifestyle, transcending its economic significance to symbolise their seashore community's resilience and resourcefulness.

In the words of one local harvester, "Beyond its economic value, clam harvesting epitomises the resilience and resourcefulness of coastal communities. It’s a harmonious blend of tradition and sustainability, strengthening the bonds between humans and the coastal environment."

Through the continuation of this age-old tradition, locals are not only sustaining their economy but also preserving an integral part of their cultural identity. By doing so, they are building a sustainable future grounded in history, fostering a symbiotic relationship with their coastal environment, with mutual benefits blooming alongside the rhythm of the tides.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Among the harvesting crowd stands Nid Suksan, a 56-year-old beacon of dedication who manages to hoard an impressive 30 to 40 kilogrammes of clams daily,

Soon , there will be none left ...

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Charming?? Last time I visited Naklua, they were dirty like hell.

Asking for a friend, under Thai defamation laws, can a beach sue?

1 minute ago, tjintx said:

I am quite sure City Hall could pick up that mantle.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Clam_digging_001.jpg

Banglamung district's charming beaches of Naklua and Krating Lai are currently abuzz with the historic practice of Venus clam harvesting. A riveting sight unfolds daily as locals, spanning diverse ages and genders, embark on their quest to harvest the prized Venus clams off the shore amidst the ebbing tide.

Encompassing over 60 to 100 community members daily, these shores are transformed into a lively tableau of tradition steeped in dedication and resilience, where each clam harvester is armed with perseverance, efficient tools and capacious baskets. The harvested clams, a cherished addition to local cuisine, fetch up to 35 baht per kilogramme and come in bountiful abundance just beneath the sandy surface.

Among the harvesting crowd stands Nid Suksan, a 56-year-old beacon of dedication who manages to hoard an impressive 30 to 40 kilogrammes of clams daily, starting her harvest at the breaking of dawn. To Nid, and many others like her, clam harvesting is a practice deeply entrenched in their lifestyle, transcending its economic significance to symbolise their seashore community's resilience and resourcefulness.

In the words of one local harvester, "Beyond its economic value, clam harvesting epitomises the resilience and resourcefulness of coastal communities. It’s a harmonious blend of tradition and sustainability, strengthening the bonds between humans and the coastal environment."

Through the continuation of this age-old tradition, locals are not only sustaining their economy but also preserving an integral part of their cultural identity. By doing so, they are building a sustainable future grounded in history, fostering a symbiotic relationship with their coastal environment, with mutual benefits blooming alongside the rhythm of the tides.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

On the weekends here in the South loads of people are to be seen, harvesting/raking shells whatever size and colour.

I'm not sure if they destroy the population. 🙏

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do they push the empty food packets, bottles and cans and water bottles to one side and find them hidden beneath?

Yup, I wouldn't want to eat clams that came from within 500 miles of Pattaya. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tjintx said:

Ain´t defamation if it´s true. I have photos.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SportRider said:

This flowery AI generated content totally disengages me.  Sad. 

Am I alone in seriously considering cancellation of my AN subscription? 

Enough of this garbage, both sides of the dialogues.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ain´t defamation if it´s true.

I don't think you understand the defamation laws in Thailand.  They don't give a hoot if what you said is true or not.  If it harms the reputation of defamed party, you are in serious sh*t.

38 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I don't think you understand the defamation laws in Thailand.  They don't give a hoot if what you said is true or not.  If it harms the reputation of defamed party, you are in serious sh*t.

No, you do not understand them, and as all others believing in you hocus pocus are <deleted> scared of your own shadow.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A riveting sight unfolds daily as locals, spanning diverse ages and genders, embark on their quest to harvest the prized Venus clams off the shore amidst the ebbing tide.

This clam harvesting must be popular with the LGBTQWERTY community... lol

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:23 AM, Tropicalevo said:

So do I but the verbal diarrhoea that we have to trawl through to get any facts makes we want to throw up. :sick:

As for the next quote, it has to be a lie.

Oh I'm 100% certain that some clam digger uttered these exact words..  :cheesy:

On 5/15/2024 at 4:40 PM, snoop1130 said:

. A riveting sight unfolds daily as locals, spanning diverse ages and genders,

Diverse Genders ? seriously? ............:coffee1: