Aussie Woman Reveals Harrowing Tales from Infamous Thai Prison

webfact

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you're going on "a book and videos", you know nothing about the conditions of Klong Prem, the facility that also houses the women's prison.    Without exception, all of them comprise over-dramatic exaggerations and lies with the only intentions being to create agitation and as much money as possible for the authors or producers.

A product of your imagination?

If not, please explain your detailed insights to life behind bars in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

Who are you RT555? I reported you for slanderous racism. I guess you have been outsmarted by Aussies you miserable piece of sh##te.

Anyone who has been outsmarted by an Aussie must be extremely dim indeed.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Who cares?

Why would anyone admit in a public forum to having spent time in a prison in any country?

Is it a badge of honour? 

They only do so when there is something in it for them from that admission!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It was purely and simply bad luck from what I've read, 24 years ago Holly was simply trying to send some heroin back to her family in Australia and she got caught she had a few blankets to sleep on unlike the other inmates but it was hellish she didn't even have a pony or a gypsies for a month I'm not sure how anyone can go a month anyway 24 years later she is writing about it she should come to the UK she would definitely get some sympathy and a 2 bedroom  house and a few grand over here just have to start crying and make out you've got a syndrome or you got a beating of someone and it's affected your mind the whole country is full of lazy lying <deleted>. before it was I'm a single mum now it's I'm a single mum with 2 kids with severe learning difficulties.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Holly Deane-Johns, an Australian woman who spent seven gruelling years in a Thai prison for heroin trafficking, has opened up about the appalling conditions she endured in the notorious Lardyao Women’s Correctional Institution, often dubbed the "Bangkok Hilton."

In 2000, Holly, then aged 29, was caught trying to mail a parcel of heroin to her family in Perth. She faced the death penalty but was instead sentenced to 31 years in the overcrowded and squalid prison.

Speaking on the True Crime Australia podcast with Gary Jubelin, Holly recounted the horror she faced upon arrival. “More than 100 Thai women were sitting on blankets. I asked if anyone spoke English, and one woman raised her hand.

She found me a spot to sleep, but there was literally no visible floor space,” she said. The woman instructed others to lie down, revealing a sliver of the floor about nine inches wide. “That was my bed for the next seven years.”

Prisoners had to bring their own essentials. “Some couldn’t afford blankets. I bought a couple and folded them to sleep on,” Holly shared.

image.jpegPicture courtesy of Holly Deane-Johns via Daily Star UK

She detailed the primitive conditions, “In my section, there were 2,000 women and only 10 toilets in the yard. Fights over sleeping spots and washing facilities were common. As soon as the cell doors opened, it was a stampede to the trough of cold water. You had to strip naked before the doors opened, or others would pull at your clothes to slow you down.”

Her first shower was nearly violent. “A trustee looked like she’d hit me with a metal bar for being slow, but I made it clear I’d fight back. We later became friends, and she let me store my blankets safely.”

Holly faced relentless stress and frequent fights. “My first fight was with a friend, and I don’t even know what it was about. It was that crazy.”

Even using the toilets was traumatic. “There was no privacy. I didn’t use the toilet for a month because I was so embarrassed. Eventually, I realised I had to adapt. I decided to live like a Thai.”

After a long campaign, Holly was transferred to an Australian prison in 2007, where she served another five years before her release in 2012. Since then, she has authored a book titled “Holly’s Hell,” detailing her harrowing experience in the Bangkok Hilton, shedding light on the brutal reality behind its walls.

Picture courtesy of Holly Deane-Johns via Daily Star UK

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

No sympathy whatsoever.  Shame you didn't have to serve the whole 31 years in there.  And the fact that you now intend to profit from your criminal activities is a disgrace.

Edited by mikosan
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mikosan said:

No sympathy whatsoever.  Shame you didn't have to serve the whole 31 years in there.  And the fact that you now intend to profit from your criminal activities is a disgrace.

So where do you get your moral authority from? The judges ruled according to law. It's not up to you or any other person ignorant of the law and prone to slinging malicious judgements toward others. The reasons we have laws, constitutions and courts is because people like you are not qualified to decide the fate of other people. People in all civilized countries regularly have sentences reduced or they are paroled for due cause. That is because such people are regarded as redeemable, that they have true remorse for what they did, and not regarded as less than human as you seem prone to do. She is not profiting from her criminal activities. Her criminal activities were selling heroin. She paid the price for it. She didn't commit murder or a violent crime. She is not profiting from anything directly connected to anything illegal, nor is she doing anything illegal now from which she seeks to make profit. She is telling her story, which she is entitled to do. She doesn't require your sympathy. This story has nothing to do with sympathy. It's a true story of a true human experience and as such it has value. The malice that you display in your comment shows you to be a worse person than she is. She is certainly not a malicious, condescending, judgmental person. Think about that. I would not be in the same room with the likes of you. I feel sorry for your kids if you have them. I wonder what kinds of abuses you would justify against them or your partner. That's precisely what your comment suggests about you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you're going on "a book and videos", you know nothing about the conditions of Klong Prem, the facility that also houses the women's prison.    Without exception, all of them comprise over-dramatic exaggerations and lies with the only intentions being to create agitation and as much money as possible for the authors or producers.

And what is the evidence to support YOUR claim and statements? You're an expert because . . . ?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, frank83628 said:

it's a punishment, not supposed to be a walk in the park like the UK prisons. 

It makes me wonder why people take the risk of going to jail in Thailand. 

I had a friend who spent time in jail for being the boyfriend of a important Thai, she was 17 at the time, long story but they locked him up and never informed his family, a social worker got word out after 4 years of hell. 

What he told me about prison life in Thailand was that it's living hell. 

20 hours ago, freeworld said:

Don't think so. Govt locking people up and then treating them inhumanely is not how its supposed to work. Of course she should be punished but for them to allow and treat prisoners as objects is not OK.

Giving inmates a harsh prison term, will deter many others from becoming criminals, which is a great benefit to society!

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, frank83628 said:

it's a punishment, not supposed to be a walk in the park like the UK prisons. 

She expected a Four Seasons hotel accomodations...

If I were the judge or person deciding who leaves the prison beforehand / sent to serve the remainder of sentence in their own country, I would have denied her. I would mark her file to be served as sentenced. Drug traffickers deserve the harshest of penalties.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And what is the evidence to support YOUR claim and statements? You're an expert because . . . ?

Because of personal experience in Klong Prem, I've been in there and I'm not selling a book!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, traveller101 said:

No, a product of my personal experience as both a visitor and an inmate, I've been in there, that is the only insight that is needed...and I'm not selling a story.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hotelbri said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What business is it of yours what I was charged with that put me in Klong Prem?   That is my personal business and how would your knowing the charge put you in a position to establish the veracity of my posts?   You did not "catch me out", at all, there was nothing to "catch me out" about and, yes, I do still live in Thailand.  

I think you were a lawyer, visiting inmates .

Correct?.

Incorrect. 

I was a prison visitor (not a lawyer), more relevantly and more recently, I was an inmate.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, traveller101 said:

And you of course know that from extensive personal experience 

Indeed, I do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, frank83628 said:

In Thailand she got three meals a day and a tuck shop, also.

is that correct?i don't have any experience of thai prisons,  i do of UK ones

Yes, three meals are provided each day, 7am-ish, 11.15-ish and 2pm-ish and there is a shop from which inmates can buy essentials like soap, toothpaste, food items, canned goods, fruit, coffee, juice, bread, marg, jam, pot/cup meals and hot water and such like.   There is also a more comprehensive shop on the visitors side, items from which can be sent in to prisoners bought by their visitors.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, three meals are provided each day, 7am-ish, 11.15-ish and 2pm-ish and there is a shop from which inmates can buy essentials like soap, toothpaste, food items, canned goods, fruit, coffee, juice, bread, marg, jam, pot/cup meals and hot water and such like.   There is also a more comprehensive shop on the visitors side, items from which can be sent in to prisoners bought by their visitors.  

Provided you have money & visitors. But there are times when due to abuse of the system they stop it.

4 minutes ago, Letseng said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

there is a shop from which inmates can buy essentials like soap, toothpaste, food items, canned goods, fruit, coffee, juice, bread, marg, jam, pot/cup meals and hot water and such like.   There is also a more comprehensive shop on the visitors side, items from which can be sent in to prisoners bought by their visitors.  

Expand  

Provided you have money & visitors.

Provided they have credit in their prison accounts (no prisoners have cash), and/or visitors.  Those on the outside can (could) send food in without actually visiting...pizzas were frequently sent in when I was there. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

so where do you store stuff you buy or is it day by day? if going by the bed situation you're all on the floor without any space, os is that being slightly exaggerated?

Edited by frank83628

On 5/16/2024 at 12:55 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

My son was locked up in the Immigration jail for several days whilst his deportation was arranged. I understand all foreign "criminals"  who are locked up are subsequently deported. He was caught working without a permit...Hardly a criminal act!

"He was caught working without a permit." 

Everything that is NOT allowed by law is a criminal act! 

so just like any other jail

u get a crappy scratchy wool blanket and no pillow....some dude will get a hard mat and sleep on floor due to overcrowding

rarely hot water unless it winter and same goes for heat..no ac in summer....food sucks and is bargained over and become currency as in ramen noodles and honeybuns....you have to stand up and be willing to fight over alpha males etc...

yep use the open toilets as well...what is the other option?  none....much like the army...sleep when they tell u and eat what they give u as u wake up at 5am or go hungry....boiled eggs are good as u can keep them for later......so now shes hocking books and maybe try for her 15 mins on locked up abroad......dont do the crime if u cant do the time..i learned the hard way

reminds me of the lady prison in CM....seems they could have made a killing doing prison tours...easy money imo.....anyhoo