Time to put the sticky rat baits in your rooms. Wet season has started

We now have an outside cat , just young ,but she has already caught

a squirrel ,hope she can keep them in check , they are tree rats and

get into the downstairs ceiling every year in rainy season, they make

a lot of noise running about and chew up the LAN wires , 

We too use the sticky traps but put peanuts or chocolate as bait ,

but just hope the cat does its job this year , she can get up on

the first floor roof ,where the gain access.

regards worgeordie 

48 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Yesterday I went to close a long screen door and a rat or mouse ran across in front of me. Rain has started and I recommend putting the sticky rat baits down with some cheese in the middle. Put them inside your rooms. 

During covid time I was sleeping in the spare room bc the wife was co sharing with our child. My room had a few boxes with papers everywhere. Anyways, in the middle of deep sleep and suddenly woke up to a sharp bite on my finger. It scared the absolute crap out of me. I couldnt see a snake anywhere. The next day thought I would put a sticky rat bait and sure enough caught the bugger. 

It was during covid time. I thought I refuse to have the jab so why not test if my body could survive a rat bite. After a week I felt ill- really pale and sickly. My wife asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. I ended up telling the dr what happened and was on antibiotics for a week.

So it seems that a common rat bite is more lethal to my system than catching the dreaded chinese virus which I had a few times. 

cheers

Or safer still get a CAT!

17 minutes ago, stoner said:

rats generally infest dirty places. 

Well, most Thailand cities and villages are dirty places, with the lidded sewers along the streets, creating perfect conditions for rats.

Have a seat at any street eatery and watch the rubbish bins or where they wash the dirty dishes in a basin and you will see them.

Now that rainy season has started, those same street rats will flee water, so they will more often house in human dwellings. It is totally normal.

• Agree 1

My rats live above the ceiling, under the roof. And you really don't want to poison them. Because they will die there and in this heat start smelling extremely strong. Even a white maggots will start appearing around your house/inside the house. And if you have typical Thai house the area under the roof is inaccessible. Only way is to start breaking the ceiling. So no poisoning.

3 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Well, most Thailand cities and villages are dirty places, with the lidded sewers along the streets, creating perfect conditions for rats.

Have a seat at any street eatery and watch the rubbish bins or where they wash the dirty dishes in a basin and you will see them.

Now that rainy season has started, those same street rats will flee water, so they will more often house in human dwellings. It is totally normal.

i don't eat at thai street eatery places ever. in fact i hardly ever eat any thai food at all. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

You ran  huge risk with that rat bite.  Suppose it carried rabies?  You would be dead now...

As to the sticky glue traps, I won't use them.  What a horrible way for the rate to die, stuck on the glue.  I have a live trap that I use in my home and then release the rats (into my neighbour's garden...!)

It is a horrible way for the rat to die if you follow the instructions on the rat glue. "Pour gasoline, Ignite". 

Posted (edited)

Rats and mice don't just enter dirty places. If they smell food, in any house, they will try and get in, and the opening only has to be the size of a quarter, so sealing any holes has to be done. Having cats helps of course. Sticky traps are the way to go, although not really humane, but vermin do not belong in a house so that's the only way to go if you have cats, because spring traps might catch them. Poisoning isn't good also, because, as stated, they will die in the walls or attic and smell awful for quite awhile. Poisoning outside doesn't work because it kills domestic animals also. Also,like mentioned, poisoning kills them in the house, where they die and can't always be located, and this attracts other rats. If you catch them, find a local that will take them, as they eat rats here all over.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Rain has started and I recommend putting the sticky rat baits down with some cheese in the middle.

I'd be giving serious thought to moving to a cleaner environment.

9 minutes ago, bluejets said:

I'd be giving serious thought to moving to a cleaner environment.

It has nothing to do with a clean environment but food and shelter. If they can get in, they will. Rats are everywhere, as well as mice.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Yesterday I went to close a long screen door and a rat or mouse ran across in front of me. Rain has started and I recommend putting the sticky rat baits down with some cheese in the middle. Put them inside your rooms. 

During covid time I was sleeping in the spare room bc the wife was co sharing with our child. My room had a few boxes with papers everywhere. Anyways, in the middle of deep sleep and suddenly woke up to a sharp bite on my finger. It scared the absolute crap out of me. I couldnt see a snake anywhere. The next day thought I would put a sticky rat bait and sure enough caught the bugger. 

It was during covid time. I thought I refuse to have the jab so why not test if my body could survive a rat bite. After a week I felt ill- really pale and sickly. My wife asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. I ended up telling the dr what happened and was on antibiotics for a week.

So it seems that a common rat bite is more lethal to my system than catching the dreaded chinese virus which I had a few times. 

cheers

Bat bite or rat bite. Both very nasty.

I just let my pet snake out for a few days, problem solved, but a few unhappy neighbor's,

The real problems with rats & mice is leptospirosis,

As they move about they urinate,

In say a warehouse or your local mom&pop shop over beer cans, bottles & snacks of rice etc. years ago I was told that is why you got given a straw,

Thailand is ranked as number 7, worst 

With 48.9 cases per million population 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

My rats live above the ceiling, under the roof. And you really don't want to poison them. Because they will die there and in this heat start smelling extremely strong. Even a white maggots will start appearing around your house/inside the house. And if you have typical Thai house the area under the roof is inaccessible. Only way is to start breaking the ceiling. So no poisoning.

I had a major problem in the loft with some critters or other. Never found out what they were, but they made a lot of noise. A friend gave me a can of Chinese spray. I'm not kidding! The rats disappeared after one spray. It's available very cheaply on Lazada, about 16 THB a can. I recommend.

19860-19006ce2ba3020192eedf2c4fcbe7faf.jpg

Edited by bradiston
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Rats and mice don't just enter dirty places. If they smell food, in any house, they will try and get in, and the opening only has to be the size of a quarter, so sealing any holes has to be done. Having cats helps of course. Sticky traps are the way to go, although not really humane, but vermin do not belong in a house so that's the only way to go if you have cats, because spring traps might catch them. Poisoning isn't good also, because, as stated, they will die in the walls or attic and smell awful for quite awhile. Poisoning outside doesn't work because it kills domestic animals also. Also,like mentioned, poisoning kills them in the house, where they die and can't always be located, and this attracts other rats. If you catch them, find a local that will take them, as they eat rats here all over.

When I lived in PNG they use to eat a holes in the metal fly screens to get inside. Rat traps outside near hole solved problem. 

13 hours ago, advancebooking said:

sticky rat baits down with some cheese in the middle. Put them inside your rooms. 

Be careful when having a pee at night. Stepping into the sticky glue and then on top bitten by a rat might disturb your night🙏

• Haha 1

My wife put one out under her car....Only problem came when it was not far enough away from our daytime tethered cat....

The trap caught the rat & the cat....What a huge sound explosion as our cat got half of himself glued to the trap in a confined space under the car & then bolted into his kitty condo....

What a frickin mess trying to free, clean, & calm down a very frightened & not too happy good sized cat....

Quite a few of these comments provide a great argument for only living in high end Bangkok condos. 

Unlikely to see a rat on the 24th floor of a top condo.  I've don't even get mosquitos or roaches in my place.