Thai Navy Agrees to Install Chinese Engine in Its New Submarine

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Today, Thailand finalised its decision to install a Chinese-made CHD620 engine in their Chinese-built Yuan-class S26T submarine, marking a significant turn from the original plan of using a German MTU396 engine. This change comes after Germany blocked the sale as part of the European Union’s trade embargo against China.

:laugh:

5 hours ago, BE88 said:

According to the Bangkok Post the engine is not an engine but an electric generator, therefore it is still a submarine without an engine.

So I assume it will have to charge a lot of Tesla batteries that are in Tesla not sold in China. 😁

Diesel electric, the diesel engine runs a generator that then runs a electric engine or charges batteries for submerged operation

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Diesel electric, the diesel engine runs a generator that then runs a electric engine or charges batteries for submerged operation

In the BP they don't talk about a diesel engine but about an electric generator that should work with batteries installed to minimize being found in the ocean. After EVs, the vehicle for a submarine would have a clear advantage over diesel-powered submarines.

That's why they talk about a new technology to test

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 1

It will be so nice that foreign tourists will be able to snap photos of the Thai submarine just a few feet below the starboard bow.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Navy Agrees to Install Chinese Engine in Its New Submarine

Why don't they let the contractor in China do it. The engine need to be installed before the hull can be closed up.😋

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That does not sound good , Thai navy are going to be the guinea pigs , what's the

betting China has installed tracking devices on the Sub ,so they know where it is

all the time ...mostly in dock ,

Yes indeed. I shouldn't fancy being a Thai submariner!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

This submarine will be Thailand’s first in over six decades,

Because the RTN has maintained submarine crews over part of that time in anticipation of actually receiving a new submarine, some submariners probably have retired never having gone out to sea.

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Looks like a expensive white elephant 🐘 coming up same as their aircraft carrier 

Looks like more of a prestige thing than actual requirement that is needed for defence needs 

Agree.  Some Navy bigwigs that want to feel important without a convincing strategic requirement. The sad thing is the long-term strategic political & military implications.  Can't the civilian leadership of this country now put a funding halt to such nonsense? 

Thailand will be dependent upon PRC submarine model specific Doctrine, Organization, Training, Logistics and Materiel upgrades, & thus subject to CCP unreliability /blackmail.  Undoubtedly there will be PRC advisors in Thailand for these functions and they will be doing their CCP required intelligence gathering while here.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, thesetat said:

7 billion pumped into this purchase already and it does not even have an engine. I foresee the Thai are going to have another expensive war machine like the aircraft carrier that is a shell without money to buy what is needed to use it constructively. 

Am curious why they did not use that money to buy planes for their aircraft carrier? 

Can that aircraft carrier is go to sea

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

the same with Vietnam

Unlikely in the near future.

"Vietnam Tacks Between Cooperation and Struggle in the South China Sea," Dec. 7, 2021 https://www.crisisgroup.org

• Vietnam like The Philippines is a major claimant state in the South China Sea, and its views and actions can have significant impact on security there. China claims sovereignty over all of the South China Sea.
  • Vietnam defending its national sovereignty and territorial integrity is not just the most important goal of Hanoi’s South China Sea strategy but also a central plank of the Communist Party of Vietnam’s political legitimacy.
  • The risk of armed conflict in the South China Sea has risen over the past five years, as various states assert their claims to contested waters and island chains more strongly in response to China’s increasing dominance and the growing involvement of the United States and its allies. 

The U.S. is Vietnam’s most important bilateral partner in supporting its cause in the South China Sea - “the U.S. is the only country that has sufficient material capabilities and political will to balance China, and it has also conducted actual activities in the South China Sea to challenge China’s claims”. The two countries established a comprehensive partnership in 2013, and an upgrade to strategic level is under consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BE88 said:

In the BP they don't talk about a diesel engine but about an electric generator that should work with batteries installed to minimize being found in the ocean. After EVs, the vehicle for a submarine would have a clear advantage over diesel-powered submarines.

That's why they talk about a new technology to test

Edited by brianthainess

Probibly pull

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I wonder if there will be any volunteer's putting their hands up for the test run after the engine gets installed.  :vampire: 

Probibly pull it out to sea, crank up the engines for a short run. Pull it back to port , never to be used again.

• Haha 2

I thought that the gulf of Thailand was so shallow that a submarine could not dive very deep anyway.

I am glad to hear that the sub will get an engine, as those oarsmen must get very very tired. 555

As suggested once the pressure hull is sealed there will only be 1 hatch maybe 2 that is only big enough for 1 man to enter, How the hell are they going to fit an engine through a hatch ? 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

That is wrong info, a generator needs some means to turn it, and in this case its a diesel engine. Generators can not turn alone, to use batteries to turn it would simply just drain the batteries. BP story is completely wrong. 

It seems to me that you are fixated on diesel engines and have not yet studied the concept of EVs, which to my knowledge do not run on a diesel or even alternators.

While the alternator is essential to operate a submarine, which requires a large number of batteries to receive the electrical power, which will then have to be reloaded in a friendly port. Everything now depends on knowing how many miles and at what optimal depth this submarine can function optimally, which is why it is a system still under test.

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, BE88 said:

It seems to me that you are fixated on diesel engines and have not yet studied the concept of EVs, which to my knowledge do not run on a diesel or even alternators.

While the alternator is essential to operate a submarine, which requires a large number of batteries to receive the electrical power.

So a very long extension lead to plug it in if not how do the batteries on EVs get charged?  ....And pray what would turn the 'Alternator' if not an engine ? A wind turbine ? My Understanding of Mechanics is way beyond yours I see, that's why it was my job for 55 yrs.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So a very long extension lead to plug it in if not how do the batteries on EVs get charged?  ....And pray what would turn the 'Alternator' if not an engine ? A wind turbine ? My Understanding of Mechanics is way beyond yours I see, that's why it was my job for 55 yrs.

My first comment was to say that the submarine did not yet have an engine, and I maintain this version. What they want to make the engine become is the alternator which becomes an EV type engine where the brakes are used to produce electricity in order to recharge the batteries. They now want to apply the same principle to the submarine.Connection cables are not a problem if they are calculated for the required power.

The times when you worked are long gone, now technology has made great strides and if you were to go back to work now you would simply be surprised that you know almost nothing.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BE88 said:

What they want to make the engine become is the alternator which becomes an EV type engine where the brakes are used to produce electricity in order to recharge the batteries

On 5/17/2024 at 6:17 AM, webfact said:

CHD620 engine

Yes of course a sub has brakes, I forgot that...The CHD620 is a diesel engine which is going to be fitted. End of it is not a generator or an alternator !

Whatever they 'want' is not what will be fitted. You are dreaming.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes of course a sub has brakes, I forgot that...The CHD620 is a diesel engine which is going to be fitted. End of it is not a generator or an alternator !

Whatever they 'want' is not what will be fitted. You are dreaming.

It is already the Thai government that has accepted this dream solution and so after having advanced money to the Chinese government for this research on submarines it is not at all certain that the submarine will eventually have an engine in a few years :cheesy: