Legal Strategies to Reduce Thai Tax

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

So you're in good shape it sounds like.

I hope so. My finances were structured with the 65k+ baht transfer going back to the US Embassy income affidavit days and before I was SocSec eligible -- but on occasion a US Consular would ask:

You do realize that Thai IMM can ask for corroboration to your affidavit?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Excellent point. For example, per the US-Thai DTA -- if I remit a private pension to Thailand, Thailand gets first taxation rights and the US secondary taxation rights (under the saving clause). As such, Thailand keeps all the taxes collected, and the US absorbs a tax credit for those Thai taxes. Pretty important point, if a country is concerned about getting all the taxes it's entitled to under the DTA.

As such, this from the 'Intro to personal income tax....' is misleading:

In my US example, private pensions taxed in the US *would* be subject to Thai taxation -- as the DTA is currently written. As such, Thailand, having primary taxation authority on this private pension, could tax this income over again after the US has taxed it. But in this case, it's not Thailand absorbing a US tax credit -- it's the US absorbing the credit, and losing in tax collection the amount of taxes paid to Thailand. Thailand gets to keep the whole enchilada.

Now we've heard rumblings that Thailand will not bother to tax foreign income, as long as it's been taxed in the home country. If so, this is a real lazy approach that, yeah, avoids having to deal with tax returns of foreigners. But also gyps Thailand out of revenue allowed by DTA. Thailand can do this without violating the DTA, since the OECD has dictated that domestic laws that change a DTA are allowed -- as long as they don't materially affect the intent of the DTA. And in this case, protection against double taxation is not affected. But, will Thailand really want to cheat themselves out of money they're entitled to? Stay tuned, I guess.

Ok, fair enough, we can modify that. It's still true that there will be no double taxation but there is a question about where the tax will collected et al, subject to the terms of. Individual dta s. Does that sound correct?

Is it yet known what proof of tax paying in the US or other DTA country is acceptable. If it is an IRS filing or similar, what is the timing. For the past 15 years I have filed in October of the following year ie I will file 2024 taxes in the US on October 15th 2025. (6 month extension of the annual ex-pat date of June15th). So I will not have proof of my taxes paid until way after the Thai taxes are due. 

Not being resident is looking more and more attractive. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, retarius said:

So I will not have proof of my taxes paid until way after the Thai taxes are due. 

1099's come out in Jan-Feb. Presumably, they'll show the up front withholding taxes you've paid. Or, an estimated tax form, if you paid estimated taxes to EFTPS. These forms will reflect that most of your taxes have been prepaid, as you are required to prepay a large percentage of what becomes your final tax bill, as then reflected on your 1040 filing. I solely used 1099's to get my LTR visa, since the 1040 was joint, and thus the numbers weren't delineated between me and the wife.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, motdaeng said:

- transfer only savings (from before 2024) to thailand ... 

Yes that is a sensible approach and possibly in this scenario not necessary to file Thai tax returns since no assessable income.However with a few fortunate exceptions that pre-2024 pot of gold will run down after a number of years - since it cannot be added to. Then one will be very firmly in the sights of the RD, since, subject to any DTA relief, one would be subject to tax on remittances funded out of current income.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

Yip I agree 💯, I got another 10 year's before I can apply for my UK state pension.

The only funds I got is my savings, ISAs, premium bonds back in UK to live on before my state pension kicks in.

So I be correct in saying that I wouldn't be taxed in Thailand for a money I transfer ?

It seems to be so. Just make sure all the funds were earned before 1 January 2024 and that includes interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

Yip I agree 💯, I got another 10 year's before I can apply for my UK state pension.

The only funds I got is my savings, ISAs, premium bonds back in UK to live on before my state pension kicks in.

So I be correct in saying that I wouldn't be taxed in Thailand for a money I transfer ?

Savings - No Tax,

Cash ISA - No Tax,

Premium Bonds - No Tax

Stocks & Shares ISA (Or other Investment accounts) - Could be liable for tax on Capital Gains & Dividends

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bringing in cash "under the radar" can have many variations (you may want to pay your next ST with a 50 or 100 dollar bill, the receiver will probably not report you to the BOT) - all of which I would consider illegal IF they reduce your tax burden.

But IF your tax burden is zero anyway  (because of low remittances, TEDA, DTA, etc) this is just one more layer of protection. It makes it more difficult to build a case against you. 

The same applies imho to usage of ATMs or paying with foreign debit cards.

I wouldn't dare to do it to evade taxes, to obvious a paper trail. But it might be some additiinal  protection if you are honest to the taxman.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/18/2024 at 5:28 PM, patman30 said:

How much are you allowed to gift the Thai wife each year?
what is the tax threshold for a child's allowance/income?

20 million baht to the wife, obviously this is the answer as there are no rules about what she does with the gift. !0 mil to gf, the whole topic is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It seems to be so. Just make sure all the funds were earned before 1 January 2024 and that includes interest.

Well, these funds presumably continue to yield income after Jan 1, 2024 and then the interesting - and so far unanswered question - is how to delineate what is old and new if both old and new funds are in the same account/investment/etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Credit Card would count as remitting money into Thailand.

Spending on a credit card is not your money. It is the bank's money. A grey area but not a remittance by you  into Thailand. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JimGant said:

1099's come out in Jan-Feb. Presumably, they'll show the up front withholding taxes you've paid. Or, an estimated tax form, if you paid estimated taxes to EFTPS. These forms will reflect that most of your taxes have been prepaid, as you are required to prepay a large percentage of what becomes your final tax bill, as then reflected on your 1040 filing. I solely used 1099's to get my LTR visa, since the 1040 was joint, and thus the numbers weren't delineated between me and the wife.

so, they do just accept 1099R where as for me after I submitted my 1099R for 2 years, they kept insisting I provide them with my 1040's for the 2 years.  Once I did provide those, I was approved less than a week later.  Strange in that the 1099 is necessary for me to fill in my 1040.  just saying...

1 hour ago, K2938 said:

Well, these funds presumably continue to yield income after Jan 1, 2024 and then the interesting - and so far unanswered question - is how to delineate what is old and new if both old and new funds are in the same account/investment/etc.

I strongly suggest you read the tax guide, all these answers are in there:

COMINGLED FUNDS

1) Funds from various sources that are all contained in the same bank account are referred to as commingled funds. Trying to account for them separately can be difficult, unless you keep complete records that show the individual sources of those funds. Much of this comes down to individual discipline and the ability to retain and file receipts and statements.

2) Many tax authorities have policies regarding commingled funds, policies such as LIFO, (last in, first out) which is primarily an inventory management technique but could be used with commingled fund accounts. The UK says that capital and gain entering a mixed or commingled account, loses its identity and that any remittance from the fund, is income first, capital second. Yet another option might be that any remittance is viewed as comprising interest/gain or income first and capital second. We are not aware of the TRD policy regarding commingled funds or even if one exists. If you hold funds in this way, until such time as the TRD policy on this is made clear, you only have two options open to you. The first is to keep detailed records that describe all the feeds into the commingled account and hope that will be sufficient, or separate the sources into their own accounts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Lorry said:

The same applies imho to usage of ATMs or paying with foreign debit cards.

I wouldn't dare to do it to evade taxes, to obvious a paper trail. But it might be some additiinal  protection if you are honest to the taxman.

This sounds like a ridiculous use of grand proportions. They are going to track every ATM and credit card purchase and then match that with who is a resident (staying more than 180 days) and who is not. I doubt if Thailand will have that capability in the next fifty years when they cannot manage simple websites efficiently for a sustained period. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Mike Lister said:

A series of interesting and useful debates have tried to determine if overseas credit card spending in Thailand by Thai tax residents, constitutes assessable income but they have been unable to decisively conclude. It is far from certain that such spending is not assessable and several factors lead us to believe it may be. The salient points in the debate include:

Where did these debates take place? Thai taxes are determined by debates? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Where did these debates take place? Thai taxes are determined by debates? 

The probable answer to the question was researched and debated, not the tax! The debate comprised a number of forum members over weeks, including business, finance, banking professionals and two CPA's.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

This sounds like a ridiculous use of grand proportions. They are going to track every ATM and credit card purchase and then match that with who is a resident (staying more than 180 days) and who is not. I doubt if Thailand will have that capability in the next fifty years when they cannot manage simple websites efficiently for a sustained period. 

The issue is not whether the Thai Revenue Department will or can track all transactions but whether those transactions are considered to comprise assessable income or not.