An Expat Who Left Thailand

I’ve been here for over 11 years. I love it here. I first came here. I flew here with one suitcase after six or eight months I bought a used Honda PHANTOM to motorcycle if I sold it tomorrow, maybe I would lose US$1000 after having it for over 10 years when it came to my car, I went to a car auction and I bought a car that was still under warranty And paid  300,000 I’ve had it over 10 years With no major problems  and I think if I sold it I could probably get around 250,000. I rent the new home three bedroom three bathroom and a cul-de-sac gated community. including cable TV watering gas I pay approximately $461 a month couldn’t come close to that in the US. My electric bill last month was 600.  Bht and that’s me running my air condition almost every night in my bedroom and having it turned off automatically.  There may be a few negative things about living here but overall I’m a very happy camper living here TIT

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 2:53 PM, worgeordie said:

Leaving after 20 months , he's never really tried to adapt to living here,

I arrived here 36 years ago with a spare pair trousers,couple shirts,socks,

underware, and shortwave radio *,I was not planning staying here ,I was

on my way to Costa Rica the long way around, 

Just fell in love with Chiang Mai , which was so different than it is today,,

Built a house ,started a family ,and would not change a thing ,very happy,

I even have a grave bought and paid for in the foreign cemetery ,so I will

never be leaving Thailand .        * and plenty money ...that's important .

Regards Worgeordie

Best to leave ASAP, if you know TH is not for you.   Still employable, and sticker shock (housing) not too bad on his return.  Sure he knows now, should have tested the waters before selling up, as he took a couple big hits on his finances by not doing at least a 1 year tester.  What I always advise, 1 yr in different locations also.

I got here 2000, and 7 yrs later, and still not sure if staying, and truly didn't decide, until building 2nd house, and that was 2011.  Hence the reason for buying POS entry lever cars back then, and easy to walk away from.  If not meeting present wife in 2006, may not have stayed.  Even after, and selling 1st house (2008), nothing really keeping me here, except relationships.

We even rented in PKK for 3 years before building, to make sure it was right for us, even though bought the land a years earlier, before leaving Udon Thani.  Make sure the weather & pollution levels were OK, or it would have been further south.  Miss the cool season, though short, of the NE, but not the pollution or the boredom.

Not big deal then, as housing in USA, IF returned, doubtful, hadn't changed much.   But the last 5 - 8 years, just silly price increases, and really unaffordable for young people starting out.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

After 37 years here there is nothing to make me go back to my place of birth. A house, which is full of "stuff". Planning on leaving the guitars to Mahidol music school. The computers to a mate. Her indoors doesn't want it and will probably sell and go upcountry. I will be dead so why worry? Why change if you speak Thai and have lovely staff and friends?

On 5/18/2024 at 5:35 PM, save the frogs said:

a lot of youtubers are just making videos for clicks, by the way.

they run out of things to talk about so then they do a classic "why I left country xyz" video. 

And the old chestnut"how much does it cost to live in LOS? and a brief tour of my condo...my favourite massage place and the cheapest place to eat...ffs

• Agree 1

On 5/18/2024 at 7:22 PM, JimTripper said:

It's a thing in the USA now. They call it "Van-life". People live in the back of vans, go from place to place traveling the country, including Wal-Mart parking lots, to park overnight and sleep. There is an online community and app that tracks groups and shows where to park. They call it minimal living and freedom.

When I looked at it deeper a couple years ago online I discovered it was really not all that romantic though. There were a lot if semi-broke almost homeless people involved. You start reading about how they can't afford the designated campgrounds and toilet facilities and need that shopping center parking lot, etc.

In my younger days I considered the nomadic lifestyle in a full sized RV. With costs of fuel,RV  sites and crime nowadays a 1 br condo in LOS with all the amenities seems a much better option.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

In my younger days I considered the nomadic lifestyle in a full sized RV. With costs of fuel,RV  sites and crime nowadays a 1 br condo in LOS with all the amenities seems a much better option.

Absolutely. What usually happens is the vehicles break down due to being driven so much and lack of costly maintenance. Motorhomes are very costly to fix once problems happen.

They end up just getting parked somewhere on the outskirts of town where it's allowed, with someone living in them, and the rodents out in rural locations chew on the wiring because it's rarely driven. Much of the wiring insulation is soy based, so rats think it's food and it has some nutritional value. Re-doing the wiring can cost more then the vehicle is worth.

The desert around Los Angeles is full of these derelict vehicles that people thought they were going to live in as cheap mobile housing. 'Slab City' being the most famous area just outside Los Angeles.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

It still crosses my mind ... :cheesy:

Then I come back to reality :coffee1:   Hotels are just too cheap here, or a reasonably priced, decent spec'd electric van would be my next purchase. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, radiochaser said:

And if it were not for the melting ice, we could still walk from Russia to Alaska.   A long walk to be sure, but still ... if it were not for melting ice!

"It wasn’t the first time that ice had sucked up the sea. Vast ice sheets have grown and retreated many times over the past 2.5 million years."

https://eos.org/articles/the-bering-land-bridge-formed-much-later-than-previously-thought

Back den, it was not many humans around, and they lived a nomadic life, moving wherever there was food, or the tribe went extinct. 

On 5/18/2024 at 7:05 PM, save the frogs said:

I am fantasizing about AUTONOMOUS SELF-DRIVING mobile vans. 

Imagine being moved around in a little self-driving VAN while you can do your work on your laptop and not even have to drive. 

How feasible is it in Asia though? Maybe in Europe a lot of people do it? Are there plenty of campgrounds where you can park the thing? 

Better check the cost of  stying in a camp ground before you  allow your fantasy to get you carried away.

• Thanks 2

Anticipating retirement in 2011, I did the background reading for retirement in Mexico, Ecuador, Panama, the Philippines and Thailand. I was familiar only with Mexico. Language would have been easier in the Latin American countries. Cost of living was a major consideration as I thought my sustainable monthly $2400 usd would not allow a working middle class life style in the USA. On the academic year, so I had unemployed time to make two trips in summer and winter months in 2009 & 2010. (I certainly would recommend exploratory trips no matter which country someone is considering for retirement). I traveled around Thailand and continued my background reading in the US (history, society, culture … language, I waited to take classes here). Medical care was a major consideration as I had already had 5 by-passes in 2005. While I found that, I think, I could live in a number of Thai cities (no Bangkok), I found Chiang Mai a comfortable fit where I could find anything I needed, plenty of English spoken (I did hire someone to help me in a potential car purchase). And being single since 2007, well … damn Nancy Kwan for my attraction to the Asian female look. Sold all in the USA, shipped 5 pallets (1 of 298 books donated to CM Univ. Library, 1 of books retained in my library, 3 of personal items including collectibles gathered in my previous international travel). Been here ever since, married to a Thai girl 26 years my junior (yo! Do try and remember I was already retired when we met so … no chippy). Still quite happy to be here going on 13 years in July. Driving comments … sure test for Alzheimer’s … no accidents = no dementia as your brain must be firing on all cylinders. Threatened Thai taxation? We’ll see … I read the Treaty = SS not taxable nor is other government retirement … I am advised by my tax preparer not to worry (keep in mind I am an economic refugee (IRS Tax Return = no U.S. tax owed). So, as the Zen Master said … we’ll see (quote from movie, “Charlie Wilson’s War”).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It still crosses my mind ... :cheesy:

Then I come back to reality :coffee1:   Hotels are just too cheap here, or a reasonably priced, decent spec'd electric van would be my next purchase. 

Part of my selling all in the USA included the sale of my paid for 38 ft. Diesel pusher. Contemplated working Disney type park in the winter, maybe forest campground host in the Noth during the summer. Your obervation of associated costs made a stronger argument for Les troubles retiring to Thailand.

• Agree 2

On 5/18/2024 at 7:22 PM, JimTripper said:

It's a thing in the USA now. They call it "Van-life". People live in the back of vans, go from place to place traveling the country, including Wal-Mart parking lots, to park overnight and sleep. There is an online community and app that tracks groups and shows where to park. They call it minimal living and freedom.

When I looked at it deeper a couple years ago online I discovered it was really not all that romantic though. There were a lot if semi-broke almost homeless people involved. You start reading about how they can't afford the designated campgrounds and toilet facilities and need that shopping center parking lot, etc.

I do it once in awhile but in my 95 camry wagon!!!....to save money and helps save for my trips back here....yep it sucks mostly but is nice knowing im spending $0...mostly.....ive paid for planet fitness to shower but also have a portable shower....can eat anywhere..find free wifi spots.....i dont travel..id just work and crash in my car...helped pay for the car too....tinted out the windows which helps as i used to sleep in my accord! with no tint.....a shady spot to park is a must have as well cos once that sun hits your hot metal roof....i would wake up sweating....tricky at night too cos need to have windows up to keep insects--rain humidity out.........humidity being the worst part as im on east coast....cops werent really an issue..walmart is too bright and noisy...id prefer a woodsy shaded area but good part is can always move if you dont like the location...was just a foam bed in the back as id be in a business area to get access to showers and food etc as i would be working as well.....#minimal life

59 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I do it once in awhile but in my 95 camry wagon!!!....to save money and helps save for my trips back here....yep it sucks mostly but is nice knowing im spending $0...mostly.....ive paid for planet fitness to shower but also have a portable shower....can eat anywhere..find free wifi spots.....i dont travel..id just work and crash in my car...helped pay for the car too....tinted out the windows which helps as i used to sleep in my accord! with no tint.....a shady spot to park is a must have as well cos once that sun hits your hot metal roof....i would wake up sweating....tricky at night too cos need to have windows up to keep insects--rain humidity out.........humidity being the worst part as im on east coast....cops werent really an issue..walmart is too bright and noisy...id prefer a woodsy shaded area but good part is can always move if you dont like the location...was just a foam bed in the back as id be in a business area to get access to showers and food etc as i would be working as well.....#minimal life

How are you finding work living in a vehicle in the Usa? That's not easy unless you already have a job waiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

Better check the cost of  stying in a camp ground before you  allow your fantasy to get you carried away.

And the cost of petrol.  And if the engine breaks down mechanics bills in Europe are no joke. Better off renting a place in Asia or S. America.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

USA, over 62, and lifetime pass + , is $100 USD.  Add the Golden Pass, $10 (lifetime) and get 50% off camping and other amenities. (US citizens)

Cruise up North in summer months, and South in winter months.   Too easy, too cheap.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 4:11 PM, Madgee said:

He'll never fit in the pilot's seat, he'll never squeeze through the cockpit door!

I think he flies freight!

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, Hummin said:

Understandable with his body mass, Thailand is extremely hot. 

It's probably agility as well coupled with the heat/humidity.

Personally, I do a lot of walking around, much more then when I lived in the Usa. I guess he could drive everywhere in his truck, but somehow it seems harder to do here. You start getting tired and winded when you get older.

Add on some sweaty hot weather, walking on shoulders with traffic and no sidewalks, and it's probably unbearable being really overweight and older. I wonder if he needed a/c a lot? Maybe one of those guys who sits inside with a/c all the time.

Edited by JimTripper

On 5/19/2024 at 9:09 PM, NorthernRyland said:

I forget but she was selling it with a friend or making it for friends at work. I guess she got bored and still had supply left over. She's a minor hoarder and if I don't step in she'll keep useless garbage for years and struggle to get rid of it. Next time I'm going to throw it away and not tell her. If it's just gone she won't care but if you confront them they really feel the loss and fight back. It's mental I know.

remember my creed (a guiding principle ) :   give em an inch..... and they think they're a ruler  🙂

Over many years,  and a few "relationships" .... I discovered that the more i asked "what do you want?"   or "what do you think ?"  ... and got the usual answer "Up to you" .... only to finally realize ,  stop asking !    Only problems ensued .

Recently we just got rid of a bunch of stuff that was just collecting dust .   ( i had forgotten my creed for a while)

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:34 AM, TheFishman1 said:

I’ve been here for over 11 years. I love it here. I first came here. I flew here with one suitcase after six or eight months I bought a used Honda PHANTOM to motorcycle if I sold it tomorrow, maybe I would lose US$1000 after having it for over 10 years when it came to my car, I went to a car auction and I bought a car that was still under warranty And paid  300,000 I’ve had it over 10 years With no major problems  and I think if I sold it I could probably get around 250,000. I rent the new home three bedroom three bathroom and a cul-de-sac gated community. including cable TV watering gas I pay approximately $461 a month couldn’t come close to that in the US. My electric bill last month was 600.  Bht and that’s me running my air condition almost every night in my bedroom and having it turned off automatically.  There may be a few negative things about living here but overall I’m a very happy camper living here TIT

Got a headache reading that. Suggest you purchase the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

On 5/20/2024 at 9:34 AM, TheFishman1 said:

Sounds financial to me. Would you still be here if the Usa was cheaper?

Interesting point why the guy in the video is leaving on a whim. He does not care about the money saving aspect much.

The guy is moving to Texas.   I was immediately reminded of the following story I had read:   

The Two Travelers

There was once a traveler who was walking from a village in the mountains to a village in the valley.

As he walked along, he saw a monk working in a field and asked, “I’m on my way to the village in the valley, can you tell me what it’s like?”

The monk looked up and asked the man where he had come from.

The man responded, “I have come from the village in the mountains.”

“What was that like there?” the monk asked.

“Terrible!” the man exclaimed, “no-one spoke my language, I had to sleep on a dirt floor in one of their houses, they fed me some sort of stew that had yak in it and the weather was atrocious.”

Then I think that you will find that the village in the valley is much the same,” the monk noted.

A few hours later another traveler passed by and he said to the monk, “I am on my way to the village in the valley, can you tell what it’s like?”

“Where have you come from?” enquired the monk.

“I have come from the village in the mountains.”

“And what was that like?”

“It was awesome!” the man replied, “No-one spoke my language so we had to communicate using our hands and facial expressions. I had to sleep on the dirt floor which was really cool as I’ve never done that before. They fed me some sort of weird stew and I have no idea what was in it but just to experience how the locals lived was great and the weather was freezing cold, which meant that I really got a taste of the local conditions. It was one of the best experiences of my life.”

Then I think that you’ll find that the village in the valley is much the same,” responded the monk.

Most likely he'll be doing another youtube video in a year or so telling people how Texas sucks and Thailand had such great people.     

• Thanks 1