British family leaves UK for Thailand for lower costs of living

webfact

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Imagine some Thai guy moves to America and gets robbed at gunpoint by some thugs at a gas station. The Thai guy goes on Thai expat social media to complain about the levels of crime in America. You would be the other Thai pro-American shill that told him to stop complaining and if you don't like it move back to Thailand. Do you understand how retarded this is? 

Omg, you moaners really think differently. 

Thank God we have these forums to discuss different issues, it reminds me to be very careful of some foreigners here in Thailand. 

If you are so miserable you can always go back home to the s5it hole you left behind, you'll feel at home with all the other whiners. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 4
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, Spock said:

She is probably an influencer or some such nonsense. Or at least some job that can be done from afar.

That does not qualify her for a 'visa'. Social media is full youngsters coming out with  this sort of claim - 'I gave up my job, sold up and got a one way ticket and moved to Thailand, i'm never going home' nonsense. When they do come up with the visa info it's usually a one year ed visa!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LoudHailer said:

Thousands of New Zealanders are pouring into Australia for many of the same reasons. They’re in for a big surprise. Out of the frying pan into the 🔥 fire. 😮

Not the same. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but New Zealanders can work (in any job) in Australia. And there are many vacancies (with higher salaries) there, and living costs are, in fact, lower. (Esp. if you come from a small town, where the only local supermarket is a Four Square. - NZ milk and other dairy products are actually way cheaper in China than they are in New Zealand.) 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Agree 1

It's their life and choice to move to Thailand probably lots more like them would love to do the same

Reading the news from the UK always seems to be negative cost of living and so on ect 

They are a young couple go for it

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When I lived in lower Sukhumvit, so not a cheap area, my living expenses were similar to what they are now in the UK. I was paying 23,000 Baht per month there, I'm now paying £550 pm (all inclusive) in the UK.

(What we save on heating costs in the UK, we could be spending some of it on cooling costs in Thailand).🙂

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

If you were to take social media at face value you would think you can simply "move" to Thailand, get a job and buy a new house anywhere in the country. Western kids are further brainwashed because this is exactly what they see the rest of the world doing in their country and they've told they're racist to question this policy.

I guess people will learn the hard way but these nonsense reports of "moving to Thailand" are misleading and further confuse people.

The world is your oyster, be whoever you want to be, quit your dead end job, hey look at me, I'm doing it, I've made it, I'm living the dream in a foreign land and I'm a multi millionaire, nobody tells me what to do anymore, hey isn't my rented beach villa just so cool? Oh, and, by the way, if you don't mind, please subscribe to my Patreon and also click the links below to support some of my affiliate sponsors and buy some of my merch. Yeah, thanks, it will really help me out bro. PEACE.

🏼 

Edited by GrungthepGringo
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/20/2024 at 4:59 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Oh great, more moaners arriving. 

Every swinging dick wants to live in Thailand.

When they arrive they never stop complaining about this and that.

These people typically dislike some of Thailand's unique, challenging infrastructure and safety issues, then start whinging and whining, demanding things change. 

I like Thailand and all its quirks and features. 

Anyhow, I reckon they'll be back in the UK in a year or so. 

Every swinging d**k wants to live in Thailand.

👆 love this sentence! 😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

She isn't a pensioner so they have to be pretty rich to consider retirement to Thailand. Money can get you a lot in Thailand.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Pension contributions are tax-free in UK.

I was referring to NI contributions that are taken direct from wages apart from all the other taxes one pays while working, nothing is tax free in the UK, it seem you are referring to Voluntary contributions not compulsory ones.

• Like 1

"Splendid" article; say nothing about the most interesting issue:

How are they getting their money ??

Age taken to consideration, guess social security.

And focusing on quality of psykological healthcare-maybe they are not "quality tourists"..

• Agree 1

They have no idea. 

A mate of mine who was living in Thailand with his Thai wife and kid moved back to the UK 2 years ago because it was too expensive here. 

His kid gets free education, his wife now works in a Thai restaurant making a tidy sum each week.

He works offshore so he can live anywhere but just couldn't bring himself to pay Thai prices anymore.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

:cheesy:

Paid ฿84 for kg of chicken breast the past week.

IF you own your own home ... :cheesy:

Hope they weren't up to their usual pastime of nose picking whilst processing your chicken. Ya gets what ya pay for in Thailand 🤣😂

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, theblether said:

Here we go again. Another chance for the nutter brigade who haven't lived in the UK for decades to start ranting. Let me annoy you - 

20% of British pensioners are millionaires. NHS free, education, free, university - free in Scotland, limited fees in England. Prescriptions, free in Scotland, Bus passes, free. 

8.5% increase in the UK pension. Re NHS - contrary to the drivel you read - I was referred to the hospital for an ECG a week past Thursday and had the scan on Monday - two business days. 

My gas and electric bill for the last quarter - £330. The most expensive in my family was a millionaires seven-bedroom house, £1100. Supermarkets are cheaper than Thailand. Fruit is bizarrely cheaper. Meat is higher quality and cheap 200 baht a kilo for chicken breast. 

£2.10 a pint in my local bar. 

Where are we more expensive? Rent and petrol mainly. Rent isn't an issue if you own your house, just as we have been encouraged to do for the past 50 years. Street food us cheaper, but every UK town has an all you can eat buffet these days for a tenner. 

Have at it with your growling. And this family is in for a shock when they see the reality of school fees etc in Thailand. 

You're right there. I lived in Bangkok for 20 years, lower-Sukhumvit area. I've now been living back in the UK for almost 6 years, and my living expenses are similar to what they were in Thailand. I now pay £550 per month rent (all inclusive). When I last lived in Bangkok my rent was 24,000 Baht. I don't have to pay for healthcare in the UK

Edited by Andrew65
  • Agree 1

Do a search on her. She is an activist. This isn't her first time in the news, complaining about energy and inflation. This is a PR stunt.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, proton said:

Drop shipping- another layabout with a laptop!

And another dinosaur with preconceived ideas about how to generate income.

World's changed a lot since you were young, mate.
Jog on

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, BuddyPish said:

Talk about apples and oranges.
Lower Sukhumvit's equivalent in the UK would be something like the West End in London.

24k in Lower Sukhumvit would be 120k+++ in the West End.

Healthcare in the UK is a postcode lottery; the quality of service you receive is almost entirely dependent upon where you live. 

If you're paying GBP550 pm to live in the UK, you're definitely not living in London or even the South East

I live in Bromsgrove, which is quite a nice area. London (inside the M25) is almost like a different country to the rest of the UK.

I could have also gone and lived in Nakhon Nowhere in Thailand, where there's (maybe) nothing to do, and been bored-rigid. Like the UK, Thailand also has big regional differences in costs.

I was just pointing out that living in Thailand isn't necessarily much cheaper than living in the UK, depending on where one lives.

Some old firends moved from Thailand to Cambodia, which I found appreciably cheaper when I was there on visa runs, and also visas aren't such a pain in the ***.there.

12 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Hope they weren't up to their usual pastime of nose picking whilst processing your chicken. Ya gets what ya pay for in Thailand 🤣😂

Makro, CP product, and no, we don't buy meats from the fresh/wet markets.   Actually ฿84 is high, as usually ฿73-79.   

Yes you do, and most everyday items is same or cheaper, for us, as don't buy name brand (international) processed foods.  

It's a shame you don't,  No overpriced labor here

How's that RE tax every year, (8% or more) for the house you already paid for ?   

Our RE Tax is ฿5 :cheesy:

How's that sales/VAT tax ... 20%  vs TH's 7% 

Tell me again how inexpensive it is ... "oh but we get free healthcare".

YEA, right ... there's no free lunch, you're just paying for it in advance.

Really sucks if you don't use it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Go to the surf to walk around with the dog, come back

and a few pages added.

Talk about a bunch of negative Nellies ...

... and you're on a Thai forum ... WHY ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RobU said:

She appears to own an online gift shop. Basically acting as an intermediary between the gift producer who packs and delivers the gift and the customer. She will hold no stock just simply passing the order to the company that produces the gift and taking a commission. 

Good for her, smart gal, self employed.   She can live anywhere then 👍

• Like 1

If it were possible, I would relocate my family back to the UK. Being poor in the UK is still better than living an ok life in Thailand- there's a safety net. Medical and school fees, as well as being an acting social welfare state to the extended family, take their toll on the healthiest of finances sooner or later. Not so easy to earn a good whack in Thailand either.

Thailand is a great place for a single man, retiree, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I was referring to NI contributions that are taken direct from wages apart from all the other taxes one pays while working, nothing is tax free in the UK, it seem you are referring to Voluntary contributions not compulsory ones.

You do not pay Income Tax on NI contributions, or payments to private pension schemes.

You pay that tax when you receive the pension payments if it takes you over the personal allowance.

Not read the whole thread

I would say almost certainly she has got a social media that pays her well, or her partner does, bet she has a fruitful TikTok account, young and switched on could easily make £2/3K a month

• Like 1
  • Agree 1