UK former mercenary, living in Thailand for 22 years, given a strong warning by police

webfact

As an ex-navy seal 😉 I'm doubtful this man is anything but a puffed up doofus. Even of he was a military contractor when he was 22 year old (who then obviously washed out early), he's lived here for 22 years and should know better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I’m more concerned that no action was  taken in respect of his admitted drink driving, which he used as his excuse for the assault.

He wasn't caught drink driving, so how could any action be taken?

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

why is the police not pursuing charges for drunk driving? or they cannot for some weird legal reason?

Was he caught driving drunk by the police?  If I tell a police officer that I was driving last night or last week or whenever, pissed as a newt, will I be prosecuted?   Of course, I won't be, as I wasn't observed driving pissed.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I was a young fellow in the UK there was a mercenary used to drink in the local pub. He was quiet always wore a suit and tie only drank scotch and had one of those moustaches with pointy ends. he was a friendly guy but used to sit at the end of the bar by himself. He would disappear for a couple of months at a time and return with a sun tan. He never talked about his job most people never knew he was a mercenary.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

From the various articles on this subject, it seems the pump guy refused to pump petrol unless the falang removed the filling cap by himself.  Strange, never seen this happen in Thailand before, maybe I should get out and around more?

Fuel filler door, operated from the cabin. The attendant asked him to open it, the guy paid no attention, kept talking on his phone (or pretending to do it), then driving away from the pump. Was covered a dozen times here.

Edited by GaryPustynskiy
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Probably an interpreter/translator on Koh Samui.

As long as it's "probably" against "probably" here's my two cents (and trust me I talk from some knowledge on the matter):
In cases with as much publicity as in this one IB dumps their "interpreter/translator" help without as much of a how do you do. The guy would find himself with a cancelled visa the next day. Yet he's gone away with what should be criminal charges and imminent deportation.
(Not to mention these guys don't drunk-brag "I'm the tor mor", no. Too stupid even for a Brit.)
No good sir, we're dealing with a Snitch here. Good old snitch, inflated to the point of self-explosion yet still too valuable for the IB to be dumped 😂

Edited by GaryPustynskiy
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Oh, those perky Brits in Thailand once again? 😮

Thailand is a boiling hot 2nd world (at best) destination. 

We don't send our best there.

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Why do you make that sound like a bad thing?

Did I, well, turn it to something else if you like, Skippy...............🤗

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GaryPustynskiy said:

No good sir, we're dealing with a Snitch here. Good old snitch, inflated to the point of self-explosion yet still too valuable for the IB to be dumped

A slight possibility, not in any way a probability, no decent "snitch" would risk exposing himself that way.   From the way that you, sneeringly, refer to him as "a snitch", I'm surmising that you must be in the dubious position to be at risk from "snitches", "inflating yourself to the point of self-explosion" (What?).

The UAE is a hub for mercenaries in Africa and the Middle East. Now the Emirates want their own version of the French Foreign Legion. That may change how secret, private armies work in a legal grey zone.

This guy is 44. He's been in Thailand for 22 years. and yet he was a 'mercenary' - at 22?

Presuming that he joined the armed forces at 18, he was trained to be a mercenary?

Very doubtful. He may have decided to become a mercenary, but his skills after 4 year's service would be very limited, surely.

It would be very interesting to discover where he was employed in such a job, wouldn't it?

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, GaryPustynskiy said:

As long as it's "probably" against "probably" here's my two cents (and trust me I talk from some knowledge on the matter):
In cases with as much publicity as in this one IB dumps their "interpreter/translator" help without as much of a how do you do. The guy would find himself with a cancelled visa the next day. Yet he's gone away with what should be criminal charges and imminent deportation.
(Not to mention these guys don't drunk-brag "I'm the tor mor", no. Too stupid even for a Brit.)
No good sir, we're dealing with a Snitch here. Good old snitch, inflated to the point of self-explosion yet still too valuable for the IB to be dumped 😂

My immediate summation too

There have been similar wannabees in the past (I recall a delusional running around with Pattaya Police some years back)

They usually follow the same route, being fronted up as the farang agent provocateur in raids etc, general grass/informant which denigrates into their deluded belief that they hold actual sway/powers

The 'do you know who I am/who I know' all fades to nothing - as here - when their egotistical outbursts sublimate into media exposure

On 5/27/2024 at 6:12 AM, loong said:

Why do the news reporters keep repeating the same slightly reworded paragraph yet manage to give very few actual details?

They get paid per word, so string it out.

On 5/27/2024 at 12:03 PM, Almer said:

I remember in the original post that whilst giving the pump attendant a hard time he claimed to work for the immigration dept!!!!!!!!! 

Yes a bit strange threatening to grass a Thai National to immigration.

If that is his reflex response I would hate to think how many times he has threatened it and how many times he has actually done it. 

On 5/27/2024 at 6:16 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Ex-mercenary...and I'm an ex secret agent man :coffee1:

Sorry but I can't talk about this case or else I'd half to k--- you 555

• Haha 1