Health Insurance for the over 70’s

1 minute ago, how241 said:

I have followed the insurance threads for years with interest.  I last was covered under my ex-wifes policy back in the USA until 2009.  Since then, living in Thailand I have self insured following Sherly's financial  recommendations.  There seems to be a lot of confusion and conflicting info on what insurance company to buy and what Pattaya agent can handle this.   The only thing I am sure of is not to go with a Thai company.

As a 70 year old,  can anyone recommend a Pattaya agent and a good non-Thai company.  I am not concerned about the cost but want to be sure of getting paid if-when I put in a claim.  Please respond if you have actually gotten paid as I have read many posters talking good about their company but later mention that they have never put in a claim.  Thank for any info.

Apparently it's illegal to sell non-Thai policies here so if you don't want a Thai company, look outside the country. Even the brokers can't recommend them.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2024 at 4:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Travel insurance is very good value, anyone who doesn't get that must be crazy. Health Insurance is relatively expensive and continues to go up until it's unaffordable for many

Indeed health insurance does tend to go up for most when one gets older - but not for everyone.

As has been pointed out, the knowledge that health insurance costs nominally go up is the reason why some of us, when we were much younger (and not in our 70s like myself now), when we went job hunting, we found a job that provided subsidized health insurance as part of a pension plan.  In my case the job may have not had the best salary (at the time) but that subsidized health plan that came with the job was great (where in my case the rate does NOT go up when I get older). 

That assurance that I could have subsidized health insurance for the rest of my life was worth a lot to me - and after I spent a LOT of time cranking the numbers (decades ago) I came to the conclusion that it was worth taking a small salary cut to work for this organisation where they would subsidize my Health Insurance when I got older.

I think that is something for those in their 30s, and 40s to take note of, is keep the possibility of a subsidized Health Insurance in mind (one that one can keep and still be subsidized when one retires), as a hiring 'perk' , when you go job hunting.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Indeed health insurance does tend to go up for most when one gets older - but not for everyone.

As has been pointed out, the knowledge that health insurance costs nominally go up is the reason why some of us, when we were much younger (and not in our 70s like myself now), when we went job hunting, we found a job that provided subsidized health insurance as part of a pension plan.  In my case the job may have not had the best salary (at the time) but that subsidized health plan that came with the job was great (where in my case the rate does NOT go up when I get older). 

That assurance that I could have subsidized health insurance for the rest of my life was worth a lot to me - and after I spent a LOT of time cranking the numbers (decades ago) I came to the conclusion that it was worth taking a small salary cut to work for this organisation where they would subsidize my Health Insurance when I got older.

I think that is something for those in their 30s, and 40s to take note of, is keep the possibility of a subsidized Health Insurance in mind (one that one can keep and still be subsidized when one retires), as a hiring 'perk' , when you go job hunting.

No doubt your employer took advantage of you over the decades and underpaid you, the benefit of moving around or consulting instead 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

No doubt your employer took advantage of you over the decades and underpaid you, the benefit of moving around or consulting instead 

No.

I kept my eye on the job market the entire time I was employed ... and compared my benefits and salary to what was available elsewhere.

Your generalization (?) view there, in the case of my employment and the experience of others I have talked to, could not be more wrong.

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

No.

I kept my eye on the job market the entire time I was employed ... and compared my benefits and salary to what was available elsewhere.

Your generalization (?) view there, in the case of my employment and the experience of others I have talked to, could not be more wrong.

yeah ok everyone says that

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

yeah ok everyone says that

They can say what they want.

I did such.

I changed my career 4 times ( and changed my work continent 4x)  before settling down in the job that provided superb insurance. ... and I would have changed again had it made sence. 

No. You are just wrong.

Edited by oldcpu

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2024 at 6:02 PM, Mike Lister said:

I recently had my thyroid removed by a top rated hospital and endured 5 days of first rate care. The cost was 170k Baht,

Hi Mike, Can you please let me know who was the doctor  and the name of hospital please? I may have to do the same myself