5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

18 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

5.5, you can't extend the final extension 🙂 

Final entry.

And again, that's an arbitrary restriction made up by either yourself or whoever you read it from. And again, that would mean that this visa would work completely differently to any other visa. Possible... But it's an extremely unlikely situation.

Just now, JayClay said:

Final entry.

And again, that's an arbitrary restriction made up by either yourself or whoever you read it from. And again, that would mean that this visa would work completely differently to any other visa. Possible... But it's an extremely unlikely situation.

If you are saying you will be able to do a border run just before the visa expires and then extend in country after the visa has expired, I doubt that. Do we have any other visa type where that is allowed?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Final entry.

I was joking (hence the smiley face) & it was in response to a pretty definitive statement that you would get 6 years out of the visa... We are all making this stuff up as there have been few details released from Immigration about the visa... 

At the moment opinions seem to range across.... 

1. A total of 180 days + 180 days extension over the whole 5 years which makes no sense to me as you'd get more time in Thailand using Visa Exempts + you could see yourself blocked from entering Thailand as you would have a valid visa (enter before date still valid) which gave you no days in country. 
  2. 180 days in each calendar year - Similar model to India & US where people are allowed to spend 180 days and then need to leave (India for 90 days, US until next calendar year) with 1 extension at the end of the Visa so 5 x 180 days + 180 extension
  3. 180 days per visit which can be extended for 180 days by doing a Border Bounce & at the end of the Visa you can extend for 180 days.
  4. 180 days per visit which can be extended for 180 days by doing a Border Bounce or (one time) extension at Immigration.
  5. 180 days per visit which can be extended for 180 days by doing a Border Bounce OR extending any of the stays at Immigration.

I was leaning to #2 & you'd get 180 days in country each year for 5 years & then be able to extend the visa for another 180 days on the basis #3,4 & 5 would kill the 5 year TE visa, BUT since reading the (speculated) requirement of needing proof of employment I'm now thinking #3 and you will be able to use it to stay in Thailand for almost 5.5 years by doing Border Bounces every 180 days and then doing an extension at the end of the visa - So very similar to the BOI/Smart Visa but easier on the Employer requirements.

As an aside, except for TE Visa Holders, I've never read of anybody extending a permission to stay on a Multi Re-entry visa while the Visa is still valid (E.g. You don't read of Non-IMM OA guys extending towards the end of the 1st year) I have read a few times of guys who were on a Multi Re-entry Non-IMM O "Marriage" doing border runs every 90 days, but that could be because they preferred doing that to having to mess about at Immigration or just fancied a holiday away from the wife 🙂 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

There seems to some misunderstanding here. 

Nobody is talking about extending an extension. 

With any type of multiple-entry visa, the traveller is granted, upon  every entry into Thailand, a permission to stay for a specific period dependent on the type of visa. For the DTV under discussion, this period of permission to stay would be 180 days and can, if the traveller so wishes, be extended for 180 days.

Again, I was joking but clearly it fell flat (maybe I should cross post it to the "Worse Joke" thread 🙂 )

My thinking is... One of the very few details released about the Visa is that it can be extended one time which I believe means you can extend it at the end of the Visa to get an additional 180 days so 5 years of border bounces + one 180 day extension which you cannot extend.

But it may well be that the "Extended One Time" refers to each permission to stay in which case you will get 5 years of Border Bounces/Extensions + 1 Border bounce & 1 Extension at the end.

As I posted above, with the exception of TE Visas I don't recall reading of anybody extending a Visa whilst it was still valid, many reports of Non-IMM OAs doing a border bounce just before the end of the 1st year to get an extra year & Multi Re-Entry Non-IMM Os doing border bounces every 90 days. 

I started my Visa Journey on a Multi Re-Entry Non-IMM O "Retirement" visa but was working in Singapore & only visiting Thailand for a few days at a time so had to time things at the end to enter just before the visa was expiring, get my 90 days & a re-entry permit then returned 45 days before that permission to stay ended so I could get my 1 year extension. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

As an aside, except for TE Visa Holders, I've never read of anybody extending a permission to stay on a Multi Re-entry visa while the Visa is still valid

Multi entry Non Imm O visa, grants a stay of 90 days on entry.
The permission of stay can be extended by 60 days to visit Thai spouse/family.

Border hop after 150 days for a new 90-day entry.

• Thanks 1

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/latest-thailand-visa-news-what-we-are-waiting-to-hear-461887

Some social media contributors have stated this visa can be used only twice in five years, 180+180 days as it were, whilst others have declared you can live in Thailand for the entire five years as an alternative to the Elite visa or the annual extension of stay based on retirement. Neither extreme makes any sense.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

If you are saying you will be able to do a border run just before the visa expires and then extend in country after the visa has expired, I doubt that. Do we have any other visa type where that is allowed?

As others have previously pointed out, yes. Every type of multi entry visa allows this presently. Therefore it would be significantly more difficult to implement an alternative arrangement specifically for this visa.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't do that. But it seems like a lot of effort.

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Neither extreme makes any sense.

The more I think about this visa, the more I'm sure it's never going to happen, anyway.

Like you say, the total of 180+180 over a 5 year period would make it worthless.

If it is indeed supposed to be a multiple entry visa, then even if you had to pay the 10,000bt on each entry and extension, then it still sounds too good to be true.

I personally think that somebody in Immigration feels that they aren't being "appreciated" enough by somebody in the education ministry and this announcement is some kind of encouragement technique.

6 minutes ago, george said:

DTV is going to happen. "Launch ASAP" says MFA this morning to ASEAN NOW when we called them. End of June or beginning of July is my best guess based on that call. Here some more info, maybe posted already:

Destination Thailand Visa (DTV)

@george

Any idea when the 60 day visa exempt with expanded list of countries will go into effect?,l

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

@george

Any idea when the 60 day visa exempt with expanded list of countries will go into effect?,l

No info from MFA regarding  60 days yet, but MFA say "Yen yen"... Best guess is end of June / July.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, george said:

DTV is going to happen. "Launch ASAP" says MFA this morning to ASEAN NOW when we called them. End of June or beginning of July is my best guess based on that call. Here some more info, maybe posted already:

Destination Thailand Visa (DTV)

"DTV holders can legally work remotely and avoid local tax obligations"

Would be nice to know the Roya Decree that confirms people on a DTV are not liable for Tax on Foreign remittances even if they spend >180 days in Thailand in 1 calendar year (E.g. LTR holders are covered by Royal Decree No 743).   

Edit: Ignore that, in another part of the article it says "The DTV offers visa exemptions on foreign income tax for stays up to 180 days" so no different than anybody else spending <180 days in country.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

A lot of effort has gone into that, precisly for what purpose hard to imagine, why can't people just wait in case there ever is an real visa on offer.  I suppose there must be some money in all this nonsense, none of it will come from my pocket.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

A lot of effort has gone into that, precisly for what purpose hard to imagine, why can't people just wait in case there ever is an real visa on offer.  I suppose there must be some money in all this nonsense, none of it will come from my pocket.

Nor mine!

For 9,500 baht over 5 years, I'm guaranteed to be able to stay for 365 days each and every one of those 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Nor mine!

For 9,500 baht over 5 years, I'm guaranteed to be able to stay for 365 days each and every one of those 5 years.

So, in order to maximize revenue from the DTV, it would be logical not to offer that kind of cheap visa anymore. They will review this in/by September

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Lorry said:

So, in order to maximize revenue from the DTV, it would be logical not to offer that kind of cheap visa anymore. They will review this in/by September

With luck this will all go the same way as the failed 300 baht tourist entry fee.  They could neither consistently say what it was for, who would pay it nor how they would collect it.  You certainly couldn't run a company like this lot run a country.

13 hours ago, Upnotover said:

With luck this will all go the same way as the failed 300 baht tourist entry fee.  They could neither consistently say what it was for, who would pay it nor how they would collect it.  You certainly couldn't run a company like this lot run a country.

With luck? What exactly would be "lucky" about such an impressive looking visa going the same way as the 300bt tourist entry fee?

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

With luck? What exactly would be "lucky" about such an impressive looking visa going the same way as the 300bt tourist entry fee?

The visa may be impressive, I'm less certain that the applicants will be.

• Haha 1

This situation highlights how the media pretends it has facts when it doesnt. 

At least this article is honest and admits that the details are murky. 

https://www.battleface.com/blog/thailand-announces-new-five-year-digital-nomad-visa/

Details are currently patchy (par for the course in a country where legislation can come thick and fast)

Does that mean successful applicants will be able to border-hop every six months and effectively remain in Thailand for the full five-year period? Can they extend in-country without leaving? Will there be limits to how many times they can do that?

The answers to these questions are still unclear, but one thing is evident: the DTV is potentially a vast improvement on the murky previous system where digital nomads entered for 30 days, extended for another 30 and then had to leave the country to re-enter and start the process afresh.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 1:05 PM, save the frogs said:

This situation highlights how the media pretends it has facts when it doesnt.

We know the media makes the facts (as seen by events unfolded in 2019/2020), though. This time we can hope they influence for our benefit, though.

• Agree 1

For what it's worth a good friend with usa passport entered two days ago at bkk airport immigration...he asked the officer when the 60 days stamps go into effect and was told July 15....friend speaks pretty good Thai so no misunderstanding there but officer seemed sure about it....like i said...for what it's worth.

• Thanks 1