5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

no mention and am curious if there an age limit

why pay an agent 20.000+++ baht/year ( cause u dont want tie up 800,000 baht)  to get an RE extension when you can put 500,000 in the bank of YOUR country ( and take it out the next day) and never have a problem for 5 years?

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Agents are more like 12,500, well mine is though I pay 8,000 as I keep the 800K in the Bank, but add on 4K for a multi re-entry permit  so one year costs me more than this 5 year Visa. 

OK I could do it for 5,700B (1,900 extension + 3,800 Multi Re-Entry permit) but that's still a lot more than 2,000B pa & I get 5 years not worrying about extensions (Covid years aside I travel outside of Thailand at least once every 6 months).

I extended my Non-IMM O "Retirement" last week so am good till 26th September 2025 (1 advantage of using an Agent is they can do your extensions up to 3 months early, comes in handy when you have travel plans) or I would seriously consider switching to this - Am hoping they'll give us Non-IMM O holders a better deal (5 years would be nice) when/if they make any tweaks to it. 

ONLY if u in Pattaya ( or willing to travel there) + 3800 for re entry
Yea and tie up 800,000 for a year vs 500,000 for the day

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Wasn't in doubt for many who read the requirements as written. 

Also, the official clarifies an extension will cost the normal 1900 THB NOT the 10000 THB misinformed figure that many are spouting.

This visa will be the most popular Thailand has issued in a long time. 

While unintended, it also tempt many who already reside here on other visas to switch, due to the ease vs their yearly mountain of paperwork. 

Yep, this really is a game changer. 

With my current non-imm O I can stay in Thailand for 1900 baht per year + 3800 baht per year for multi re-entry permit. So 28,500 baht for 5 years.

For DTV it seems I can book my same annual check-up at Bangkok Hospital I always do and get a 5 year multi-entry visa. Total cost in 5 years would be:

Initial visa - 14,400 baht (A$600 or US$400)

Yearly extension: 1900 baht x5

Yearly border hop: 3500 baht x4 (no need in last year)

So total cost is 37,900 baht

Oops, non-inm O is 9400 cheaper without being forced  to leave the country once a year.

In fact if only get the single re-entry permit to match the one DTV departure, non-imm O is 23,400 baht cheaper over 5 years. Or don't leave at all in 5 years and save 28,400 over the DTV

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yep, this really is a game changer. 

With my current non-imm O I can stay in Thailand for 1900 baht per year + 3800 baht per year for multi re-entry permit. So 28,500 baht for 5 years.

For DTV it seems I can book my same annual check-up at Bangkok Hospital I always do and get a 5 year multi-entry visa. Total cost in 5 years would be:

Initial visa - 14,400 baht (A$600 or US$400)

Yearly extension: 1900 baht x5

Yearly border hop: 3500 baht x4 (no need in last year)

So total cost is 37,900 baht

Oops, non-inm O is 9400 cheaper without having to leave the country 😀

That assumes you're only leaving the country because of the Visa and not leaving on holiday or visiting family.

I visit my family in the UK once per year so that takes care of the annual "Border hop" & take the GF to visit a different country at least once per year which takes care of the extensions.

So total cost of the Visa over 5 years is 10,000B (Or whatever the equivalent is in the country where you apply). 

Have to ask, what's the point of getting a Multi Re-Entry permit if you're not going to be leaving Thailand at least 2 times pa. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

You can simply show the financial proof, a doctors appointment or cooking class, get the DTV approved, exit the country, re enter,  and then proceed to forget about your yearly marriage / retirement paperwork for 5 years. 

About the issue of a DTV holder wanting to do subsequent 180-day in-country extensions at Thai Immigration (one per each new entry to Thailand allowed under the 5-year visa), one thing that the MFA official indicated in the video was that Thai Immigration, in addition to asking for the standard 1,900 baht extension fee each time, would also want to see documentation of eligibility for the visa extension itself each time. Even in years 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 of the original visa.

Unfortunately, the MFA official didn't go into any further detail about that issue... But for example, if someone gets a DTV visa in 2024 based on attending a Thai cooking class or for some medical procedure, it raises the question of whether Immigration in years 2-5 is going to be satisfied with the original DTV documentation OR whether they're then going to want to see some ongoing, then-still-current proof of eligibility.  That question wasn't addressed.

But, if I were a guessing / betting man, assuming the MFA official was correct about how Immigration will handle DTV visa in-country extensions, my guess would be that in years 2-5 of the DTV visa, that they're going to want to see some then still-current proof of eligibility -- not just repeating proof of some activity done back in 2024 and then not continued into the ensuing years.

Presumably, for in-country DTV extensions, that also would include having to each time prove the DTV holder still has the required 500K baht on deposit in a bank account somewhere (in or out of Thailand).

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Unfortunately, the MFA official didn't go into any further detail about that issue... But for example, if someone gets a DTV visa in 2024 based on attending a Thai cooking class or for some medical procedure, it raises the question of whether Immigration in years 2-5 is going to be satisfied with the original DTV documentation OR whether they're then going to want to see some ongoing, then-still-current proof of eligibility.  That question wasn't addressed.

But, if I were a guessing / betting man, assuming the MFA official was correct about how Immigration will handle DTV visa in-country extensions, my guess would be that in years 2-5 of the DTV visa, that they're going to want to see some then still-current proof of eligibility -- not just repeating proof of some activity done back in 2024 and then not continued into the ensuing years.

Yeah, I had the same concern.

My Embassy said for cooking class, I need proof that I will be attending FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS. 

I dont want to ask them a million questions to annoy them, but I am assuming this applies for every extension.

Then, how much will this be enforced? For years, people did not attend classes on ED Visas and got away with it. 

But would you risk having the DTV revoked?

Do you really want to take Thai cooking for 3 months?

Another major issue ... does it have to be full-time? 

I may try to get a cooking school to give me a letter, but I would only take 1 hour class per week for 3 months. Or even 1 year. Who cares if it's only 1 hour per week?

But full time or 20 hours a week of cooking is ridiculous to get a visa. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

why pay an agent 20.000+++ baht/year ( cause u dont want tie up 800,000 baht)  to get an RE extension when you can put 500,000 in the bank of YOUR country ( and take it out the next day) and never have a problem for 5 years?

If you're willing to leave and re-enter Thailand every 180 days over the life of the 5-year DTV and/or make use of the in-country 180-day extension allowed at Thai Immigration (one per each new entry into the country). And in the latter case, potentially have to re-prove your eligibility for the extension each and every time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

No reason at all indeed.

9 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

In a worst case scenario, no, I don't think there's any issue about having the original visa revoked, because the visa itself doesn't seem to have any subsequent checks AFTER the original approval.

But it MIGHT result in Immigration denying a subsequent in-country extension. In which case, the DTV holder I think would still be able to leave the country and return, thus gaining another 180-day permission to stay under the terms of the visa.

The way the MFA guy explained it in the above cited YT video, the DTV holder is entitled to an unlimited number of exits and re-entries under the DTV during the 5-year-life of the visa, with each new entry gaining a new 180-day permission to stay.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Yeah, I had the same concern.

My Embassy said for cooking class, I need proof that I will be attending FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS. 

I dont want to ask them a million questions to annoy them, but I am assuming this applies for every extension.

Then, how much will this be enforced? For years, people did not attend classes on ED Visas and got away with it. 

Another major issue ... does it have to be full-time? 

I may try to get a cooking school to give me a letter, but I would only take 1 hour class per week for 3 months. Or even 1 year. Who cares if it's only 1 hour per week?

But full time or 20 hours a week of cooking is ridiculous to get a visa. 

Damn. It is not as easy as one might think for the soft power categories.

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But it MIGHT result in Immigration denying a subsequent in-country extension. In which case, the DTV holder I think would still be able to leave the country and return, thus gaining another 180-day permission to stay under the terms of the visa.

you might be right, but how can anyone know for sure at this point? 

I even tried contacting a cooking school, and they told me to contact immigration. the visa is too new and they dont know how it will be implemented yet. 

one possibility is that because there are no definitive rules anywhere, it may be at the discretion of the visa officer you get. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thanks 1

I'm interested in the DTV as an alternative to the Non-Immigrant O-A and Non-Immigrant O visas.  I don't intend to retire in Thailand until early 2026, but am tempted to apply for this now, before it changes or goes away.

If I'm granted the DTV, does my wife have to pay an additional 10,000 THB (or US$400 in our case) to apply separately as my spouse?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jangunnim said:

To me this visa really reeks of desperation, the rules are unprecedentingly lax. Before they wanted to attract the "high quality" travellers and residents but apparently that didn't work out as well as they thought (who would have guessed with those LTR requirements?). So now they are basically going all in and flinging the gates open in the last desperate attempt to get more of tourism money....

They screwed up BIG TIME with the "crackdowns" in the past, which have given Thailand an "Immigration is a PITA" reputation.  There are angry former-Thai-expats all over the world saying how "it was good before, but not anymore."  Talk about bad public-relations. 

They should have NEVER limited visa-exempt entries, or stopped the double/triple entry visas, or limited how many times you could get TVs at consulates, not offered the METV locally, and- worst of all - blocked entry to people at entry points, including those with Visas.  They could not even just set a bleeping number of days-out, before returning trouble-free, so people could plan. 

Look how, even now, all the people here saying, "Beware!  This probably won't last," - and we are the folks who loved Thailand enough to stay to spite the immigration-hell.  

One guess is, they know they mortally-wounded the golden-goose - but they can't "lose face" by saying they screwed up, and promising to "NEVER do that again" - so have offered a 5-year visa to bring in folks who can at least know they will have that much "slack" before something changes, again. 

Even so, there is skepticism Immigration won't SCREW IT UP, AGAIN, by hassling people "staying too long/often" on this visa - to spite the fact there is no welfare to abuse in Thailand.  Only time will tell - and perhaps heal the old wounds to Thailand's formerly "welcoming" reputation.

Edited by Rob Browder
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

This would have been the ideal visa for myself and many like me years ago, instead the options were to either setup costly Thai companies or live in legal limbo. 

It’s a little late now many entrepreneurs and big spenders had enough and moved away under prayut’s reign. 

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

No age limit. This same official clarified in a different podcast. 

You can simply show the financial proof, a doctors appointment or cooking class, get the DTV approved, exit the country, re enter,  and then proceed to forget about your yearly marriage / retirement paperwork for 5 years. 

Nobody has tried the hospital appointment thing yet that I am aware of.  It's also not clear whether you will need to show another appointment each time you re-enter or extend.  He did say that you have to show digital nomad proof again when you extend.

Edited by shdmn

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would definitely not assume this.  It is unspecified how long an interval is needed after leaving the country and returning  but good bet IOs will often flag, question and even refuse entry to people whose entry history indicates long term (more than a year) residence in Thailand.  Same as they now do for visa exempt entries.  Of course possible some visa run companies will partner with a "flexible"  remote border outpost, again like with visa except entries. But this will not be risk free.

I expect that with time and experience some restrictions will be added on number of  entries per year. As happened with visa exempt entries. 

It is clear that the visa is not intended for people settling here pilermanently and there will surely be push back when it becomes apparent people are trying to use it that way. 

Should work for retirees who also spend significant time back home or travelling to other countries though. 

I respect where you are coming from with your views but disagree.

Based on the intent, rules and MFA director statements, DTV is specifically designed to be easy, attract term visitors, even those settling here "semi permanently".

IMO anyone with an approved DTV will generally have no problems with IOs.

They'll simply be stamped in for 180 days each time they enter, they're on a valid visa to do that, as many times as they like during the 5 year validity period. 

Re the interval required, it's 1 day and the MFA official addresses that. 

So if you exit Thailand on day 180 you can re enter on day 181. On that re entry you get another 180 day stay stamp. 

You can't do a same day bounce. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

Nobody has tried the hospital appointment thing yet that I am aware of.  It's also not clear whether you will need to show another appointment each time you re-enter or extend.  He did say that you have to show digital nomad proof again when you extend.

I read a report on here yesterday morning. It was either in this thread or the other thread. I can't be bothered looking for it. The guy mentioned just having 1 medical appointment and receiving the visa.

• Agree 1