5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

53 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Embassy in Laos added DTV

https://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/page/destination-thailand-visa-dtv

Pay in THB cash only 10000

I do not see "Must be a citizen or legal-resident of Laos to apply" - as with the METV?   That would be helpful to many.  

Packing oneself in an aluminum-tube, to be shipped half way across the world, in order to "submit paperwork" which could be sent by Fed-Ex or digital transfer, is the dumbest thing ever - even more so with the eVisa system in-place.

Overnight train service from Bangkok to Vientiane will begin services on 19th of July and may be an excellent option for a visa run

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

I do not see "Must be a citizen or legal-resident of Laos to apply" - as with the METV?   That would be helpful to many.  

You're right. Taken at face value, you could e.g. enroll into a Muay Thai class in Thailand, get the required paperwork from the school and go to a nearby Thai embassy or consulate such as Vientiane to apply for the DTV in the "Thai soft power" category without having to return to your country of residence. Super convenient for many if that turns out to be the case.

But I'm wondering how much scrutiny, if any, foreign bank statements will attract. There's no easy way for the RTE Vientiane to verify them. Not a big deal when someone has to show having 20,000 baht for a tourist visa, but I'd imagine they might care a bit more if a DTV applicant actually has those 500,000 baht that are required. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You're right. Taken at face value, you could e.g. enroll into a Muay Thai class in Thailand, get the required paperwork from the school and go to a nearby Thai embassy or consulate such as Vientiane to apply for the DTV in the "Thai soft power" category without having to return to your country of residence. Super convenient for many if that turns out to be the case.

But I'm wondering how much scrutiny, if any, foreign bank statements will attract. There's no easy way for the RTE Vientiane to verify them. Not a big deal when someone has to show having 20,000 baht for a tourist visa, but I'd imagine they might care a bit more if a DTV applicant actually has those 500,000 baht that are required. 

You can't apply for the DTV visa while in Thailand? I thought that was the idea

• Confused 1

Just now, Caldera said:

True - but many could also use a Thai bank-statement, which I assume they will accept

The consulate might limit non-Laos-resident applications to only those having certified Thai statements, for that reason - similar to the current-case in Savannakhet for 1-year-ME Non-O Marriage-based applications - only Thai accounts accepted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently I can apply via e-Visa but only if I fly to Kazakhstan or Tajikistan or Mongolia or Hong Kong or Macau but not from Thailand or Russia/Malaysia/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos.

What's the difference?? it's e-visa

Did show thai bank statement for NON-O Thai spouse visa in Penang, accepted.

Edited by Tim K

4 minutes ago, tarheeldan said:

You can't apply for the DTV visa while in Thailand? I thought that was the idea

The only "visa" for which one can apply in Thailand are 90-day types, marked "used" upon issuance, to allow a subsequent 1-year extension application.  The "extension of stay" for the DTV for an additional 180 days would be available in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, it seems the floodgates have opened, then. Thailand will be awash with remote workers and digital nomads. Most will already be working through their corporate vehicle as contractors anyway, so it's trivial to magic up a contract.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Apparently I can apply via e-Visa but only if I fly to Kazakhstan or Tajikistan or Mongolia or Hong Kong or Macau but not from Thailand or Russia/Malaysia/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos.

What's the difference?? it's e-visa

No you can't. For e-visa you must provide proof of residence in the country you are applying from (and e-visa not allowed to be applied in Thailand). And not all countries have access to Thai e-visa, Australia only got it in March this year

Edited by Pattaya57

10 minutes ago, Karma80 said:

Well, it seems the floodgates have opened, then. Thailand will be awash with remote workers and digital nomads. Most will already be working through their corporate vehicle as contractors anyway, so it's trivial to magic up a contract.

"Awash" with many thousands of new job opportunities for Thais, also - from Grab-taxis to restaurants, bars, hospitality, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

"Awash" with many thousands of new job opportunities for Thais, also - from Grab-taxis to restaurants, bars, hospitality, etc.

Yeah, and washing dishes at McDonald.

Not what I call an opportunity. 

Just the opposite: lifelong serfdom

Edited by Lorry
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Lorry said:

Yeah, and washing dishes at McDonald.

Not what I call an opportunity. 

Just the opposite: lifelong serfdom

I did my decades of serfdom, so I do understand the sentiment - I resented every single expletive-day of it.  But, versus what, though?   Are you familiar with village-life, for most Thais?  There is a reason they come to tourist-areas for jobs.  Also, consider many new small-business owners will be part of this. 

I have an online hosting business which I believe qualifies me as a digital nomad. I have no clue what sort of documentation to show them for that other than a link to my website.  I doubt that would be good enough.

Edited by shdmn

8 minutes ago, Karma80 said:

Thanks. It literally is a five-year visa to live in Thailand for 180 days each entry then for 10,000 THB. Wow.

Yup, an absolute free for all. 

Looking at the conditions-  will be very broad and very, very easy to qualify for.

Might as well have just changed the visa exempt entries to 5 years!

Amazing Thailand. It really is a 5 year multi-entry visa that gives 180 days per entry unlimited times during 5 year validity. It also allows 180 days extension on every 180 day entry. 

This part in gazette seems new though, how do you apply for long term tourism rather than working as a nomad 😀

(3) Aliens who wish to reside in Thailand. To travel and work remotely, including foreigners who wish to come and stay for long-term tourism. 

Edited by Pattaya57

9 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Amazing Thailand. It really is a 5 year multi-entry visa that gives 180 days per entry unlimited times during 5 year validity. It also allows 180 days extension on every 180 day entry. 

This part in gazette seems new though, how do you apply for long term tourism 😀

(3) Aliens who wish to reside in Thailand. To travel and work remotely, including foreigners who wish to come and stay for long-term tourism. 

Good catch.  Just for tourism would be something new.  Maybe that is a translation error because the requirements on the embassy websites don't say anything about just tourism.

Edited by shdmn

Just now, shdmn said:

Good catch.  Yes, just for tourism would be something new.  Maybe that is a translation error because the embassy websites don't say anything like that.  They indicate you need documentation of work.

No, documentation of work is one option.

Others include visiting for art exhibitions, music festivals, Muay Thai or cooking classes.......

AKA- tourism. 

This is looking more like a glorified Tourist METV, 5 years validity. 

Roll up, one and all! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

No, documentation of work is one option.

Others include visiting for art exhibitions, music festivals, Muay Thai or cooking classes.......

AKA- tourism. 

This is looking more like a glorified Tourist METV, 5 years validity. 

Roll up, one and all! 

Not just visiting art exhibits and music festivals.  Actually participating in them.  So no, that does not explain the just tourism thing.

Edited by shdmn

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Not visiting art exhibits and music festivals.  Actually participating in them.  So no, that's not what they are talking about when they say just tourism.

How do you figure that from this wording? 

What's the difference between attending and participating? 

"oralien who wish to come and do other activities, including learning Muay Thai and martial arts cooking class

Studying and practicing sports Medical treatment, training, seminars, art and music exhibitions"

Nothing is written about taxes. So you will be a tax resident.

It makes a lot of sense to ask first what you work, then give you a visa  and then tax you.

Much better for Thailand than the way it's now: you come here anyway, under all kinds of visa, nobody knows that/what you work,  you don't pay taxes here.

BTW these are taxes for Thai-sourced income,  DTA won't help. You can claim a tax credit in your home country if you pay taxes there, too.

I'm sure the extension fee would be higher than 10k to make the process "smooth".
With ED visa Phuket officials want 5k not the 1900thb.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Nothing is written about taxes. So you will be a tax resident.

It makes a lot of sense to ask first what you work, then give you a visa  and then tax you.

Much better for Thailand than the way it's now: you come here anyway, under all kinds of visa, nobody knows that/what you work,  you don't pay taxes here.

BTW these are taxes for Thai-sourced income,  DTA won't help. You can claim a tax credit in your home country if you pay taxes there, too.

So then just use DTV to stay 180 days per year and then you are not a tax resident. Pretty simple.

I've been living 50:50 between Australia and Thailand since 2018 so DTV would have been perfect instead of so many visa exempt + extension trips. Sounds like a great visa, especially for people splitting their living time between countries.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

So then just use DTV to stay 180 days per year and then you are not a tax resident. Pretty simple.

I've been living 50:50 between Australia and Thailand since 2018 so DTV would have been perfect instead of so many visa exempt + extension trips. Sounds like a great visa

Whom do they target with the possibility to bring wife and kids? (Tax) residents.