5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

22 minutes ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

What does this part mean? - " or having a guarantor of not less than 500,000 baht according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. "

So someone can use family or friends as a gurantor for the financial requirements for the visa?

Based on the wording, it looks that way. 

• Like 1

1. Can I apply for this DTV visa while I'm traveling within Thailand,?  Just arrived Bangkok a few days ago and figured out I should be eligible for this new visa type.  Visited their e-visa website but didn't find Thailand as "Current Location" though.  

2. Do I need to wire the 500k THB to a Thai bank account?  Is this one of the requirements?  

3. Is a written contract sufficient for the application?  Does it need to be notarized?

3 minutes ago, jack343 said:

1. Can I apply for this DTV visa while I'm traveling within Thailand,?  Just arrived Bangkok a few days ago and figured out I should be eligible for this new visa type.  Visited their e-visa website but didn't find Thailand as "Current Location" though.  

2. Do I need to wire the 500k THB to a Thai bank account?  Is this one of the requirements?  

3. Is a written contract sufficient for the application?  Does it need to be notarized?

1) One cannot apply for an eVisa from within Thailand.  Also cannot from several other countries, where only in-person (or mail) applications are accepted.

2) Foreign funds are fine, if applying at a Thai consulate in the country where you have the funds.  Maybe Thai Bank 500K will work in Laos Thai Consulates, but I would wait for a report of a successful application there before attempting.  This might be the easiest route for you, given you are in Thailand now. 

3) Reports of successful eVisa DTV application here - but he was applying in his home-country (UK) - see the thread for docs submitted:

7 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

1) One cannot apply for an eVisa from within Thailand.  Also cannot from several other countries, where only in-person (or mail) applications are accepted.

2) Foreign funds are fine, if applying at a Thai consulate in the country where you have the funds.  Maybe Thai Bank 500K will work in Laos Thai Consulates, but I would wait for a report of a successful application there before attempting.  This might be the easiest route for you, given you are in Thailand now. 

3) Reports of successful eVisa DTV application here - but he was applying in his home-country (UK) - see the thread for docs submitted:

Thank you for your reply!  Since I'm currently in Thailand, instead of applying at an overseas Thai Consulate, can I do so and submit all the required documentations at the Immigration Office in Bangkok?

1 minute ago, jack343 said:

... at immigration office in Bangkok?

Report from yesterday (that office) was that it is only available at a consulate abroad.  Only "extensions of stay" from the Visa will be available in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Report from yesterday (that office) was that it is only available at a consulate abroad.  Only "extensions of stay" from the Visa will be available in Thailand.

So are you saying the local Immigration office doesn't handle the DTV application at all?  For a Canadian citizen, instead of flying over 20 hours back home, is it possible to apply in person in a neighboring country (e.g. Malaysia)?  Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, jack343 said:

So are you saying the local Immigration office doesn't handle the DTV application at all?  For a Canadian citizen, instead of flying over 20 hours back home, is it possible to apply in person in a neighboring country (e.g. Malaysia)?  Thanks again.

In theory, you can apply in a neighboring country - nothing yet printed on consulate websites saying you cannot - though those websites are not always accurate / complete.  I am waiting to see "success" reports, to know for sure.  

Note that we can NOT apply in a neighboring country for the METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa) - only "in your home country" - and I agree that flying 1/2 way around the world to submit paperwork is stupid.

Edited by Rob Browder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

In theory, you can apply in a neighboring country - nothing yet printed on consulate websites saying you cannot - though those websites are not always accurate / complete.  I am waiting to see "success" reports, to know for sure.  

Note that we can NOT apply in a neighboring country for the METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa) - only "in your home country" - and I agree that flying 1/2 way around the world to submit paperwork is stupid.

I'm surprised there are no reports of success stories as of yet.

I did email the Hong Kong Thai Embassy asking if a US citizen staying in Hong Kong could apply for the DTV visa from the official Thai e-visa website. They said YES. 
I've also emailed the South Korea Thai Embassy with the same question but I'm still waiting on a response. While I was in South Korea on the KETV visa earlier this year, I was able to apply and get approved for the Thailand TR visa through the Thai e-visa website. I'm hoping the DTV is the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

Because it is not necessary to say it, the same as it is not necessary and is not said for all other types of multiple-entry visas for travel to Thailand.

Information such as this suggests differently;

Screenshot2024-07-19204119.png.d8162ea50b1e7d693cb52ad9b14e49e0.png

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Information such as this suggests differently;

Screenshot2024-07-19204119.png.d8162ea50b1e7d693cb52ad9b14e49e0.png

It suggests nothing different to me. That image you posted is part of this infographic on this web page of the MFA and the text is of course only a summary of the corresponding part of the Announcement of the Minster of Interior published in the Royal Gazette on 15 July 2024.

Let's look at this translation of Section 3 which I made with the help of Google Gemini (Highlighting in bold is mine), but feel free to make your own, better translation. 

Section 3

Aliens who wish to apply for permission to enter the Kingdom as a special case under this Announcement shall apply for the visa of type "Special Tourist Visa (Destination Thailand Visa: DTV)". The visa can be applied for at Thai embassies or consulates abroad and is valid for an unlimited number of times within the five-year validity period of the visa.

Dependents of aliens shall be granted a visa type "Special Tourist Visa (Destination Thailand Visa: DTV)" under the rights of the aliens under paragraph one. Aliens and their dependents shall pay a one-time Visa fee of 10,000 baht. The visa under this section shall be subject to the principles, methods and conditions prescribed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Regarding "the principles, methods and conditions prescribed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs", I cant find them on the MFA website. The pages in the area Visa Requirements have nothing yet about the DTV.

Edited by Maestro
fixed a link
  • Thumbs Up 1

just got this reply from a visa agency.

You have the option to stay as a remote worker or participate in cultural activities. You must provide bank statements showing a minimum fund of THB 500,000. The required documents vary based on your choice.

The visa is valid for 5 years. You can stay in Thailand for up to 180 days at a time. After that, you have the option to extend your stay for another 180 days or leave Thailand and re-enter.

14 hours ago, Liquorice said:

If the rules are clear, why 22 pages of optimism and differing opinions.

You know very well (or should know, being an active participant in this thread) that most of those 22 pages had been racked up before the details of the DTV were published on Monday (July 15th).

At this point (!), you are trolling and posting misinformation plain and simple. You're coming dangerously close to defaming the Thai government and Thai immigration in doing so, just be aware of that even if you don't care about your standing on this site.

Maybe the first part has already been mentioned ... sorry if it has.

But Thai Embassy website confirms it is extendable once per year

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/dtv-visa-thailand#:~:text=As of July 15%2C 2024,is valid for 5 years.

• Visa Duration: 5-years
  • Visa Type: Multiple entry
  • Length of Stay per Entry: 180 days
  • Extendable: Yes, once per year

If you don't work online ...

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/dtv-visa-thailand#:~:text=As of July 15%2C 2024,is valid for 5 years.

Thai Soft Power Activities

However, if you do not work online but want this visa anyway, you can still qualify for the Thailand DTV Visa if you plan to engage in “Thai Soft Power” activities. These include: 

• Muay Thai courses
  • Thai cooking courses
  • Sports training
  • Medical treatment
  • Seminars
  • Music festivals

These activities enhance the prestige of Thailand’s culture and improve the country’s standing in the international community. This is why the government will let you acquire a DTV Visa Thailand to help spread the word about how great Thailand is.

Unfortunately, the government has yet to release details on which specific activities are eligible, or which organizations have been approved to conduct activities that qualify for this visa. So, at this point, the easiest way to qualify for the DTV is to be self-employed or work remotely for a foreign company.

10 hours ago, WushuTaz said:

I'm surprised there are no reports of success stories as of yet.

There are multiple reports of approvals coming in, just not from this forum.

Ones I have seen so far are for "workcation", remote work purposes. 

Will be interesting to see the "soft power" purposes approvals, where this visa is granted for a single doctors appointment or a cooking class! 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, martyn1 said:

any report  success on getting visa on "soft power"?  attending cooking class/music festival or getting medical treatment/appointment?

Good question. I have seen on other forums reports of applications using these I.e a single doctors appointment, but yet to see a confirmed approval.

I believe the soft power reasons will be valid and many,many DTVs will be issued for those purposes.

Likely to be even more simple than proving  "workcation" purposes.

Okay people you can't be IN THAILAND or out of the country you're using for the eVisa system, most consulates ON the eVisa system state on their website that you must be IN that country to apply for the visa thru the eVisa program
You show proof of travel from the country you're applying in TO thailand, you show where you live in that country.
This is on London's thai consulate website
image.jpeg.72b24a7863e0685eb9f7370e287837c6.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

What does this part mean? - " or having a guarantor of not less than 500,000 baht according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. "

So someone can use family or friends as a gurantor for the financial requirements for the visa?

A spouce or dependent of a DTV holder can apply for a DTV.  I'm guessing the guarantor was added for that case where the original DTV holder could act as the guarantor when their wife or children apply for a DTV.

I doubt they would accept a guarantor for other reasons.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

At this point (!), you are trolling and posting misinformation plain and simple. You're coming dangerously close to defaming the Thai government and Thai immigration in doing so, just be aware of that even if you don't care about your standing on this site.

Well, that's a lot of huffing and puffing without blowing anything down.

Defaming the Thai government, really, how?    🤣

There have been varying opinions on exactly how this DTV will work in practice, given it will probably be at least 6 months before we know for definite.

I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you.

I recall when they introduced Mandatory Health Insurance for the Non Imm O-A visa and the 'experts' opinions were that it wouldn't apply to 1 year extensions from an O-A entry, whilst a few like myself were sceptical, had a different opinion, shot down ........... and look what happened!

I certainly hope the DTV does allow consecutive multiple 180 day entries for the 5-year validity of the visa, but ...........

I certainly hope the DTV does allow consecutive multiple 180 day entries for the 5-year validity of the visa, but ...........

But nothing:

Section 3

Aliens who wish to apply for permission to enter the Kingdom as a special case under this Announcement shall apply for the visa of type "Special Tourist Visa (Destination Thailand Visa: DTV)". The visa can be applied for at Thai embassies or consulates abroad and is valid for an unlimited number of times within the five-year validity period of the visa.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, stuarty said:

But nothing:

Section 3

Aliens who wish to apply for permission to enter the Kingdom as a special case under this Announcement shall apply for the visa of type "Special Tourist Visa (Destination Thailand Visa: DTV)". The visa can be applied for at Thai embassies or consulates abroad and is valid for an unlimited number of times within the five-year validity period of the visa.

I see. You were looking for the word "consecutive" and could not find it.

Tough luck. None of the other multiple-entry visas include that word either.

21 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Maybe the first part has already been mentioned ... sorry if it has.

But Thai Embassy website confirms it is extendable once per year

• Visa Duration: 5-years
  • Visa Type: Multiple entry
  • Length of Stay per Entry: 180 days
  • Extendable: Yes, once per year

Has anyone figured how how much the extension costs?  I've heard 1900 and 10000 which just sounds like people, including people at immigration, repeating other known fees.  I'm willing to bet it ends up being somewhere in between.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay people you can't be IN THAILAND or out of the country you're using for the eVisa system, most consulates ON the eVisa system state on their website that you must be IN that country to apply for the visa thru the eVisa program
You show proof of travel from the country you're applying in TO thailand, you show where you live in that country.
This is on London's thai consulate website
image.jpeg.72b24a7863e0685eb9f7370e287837c6.jpeg

For using the eVisa website yes.  However, I may be possible to get it at a Thai consulate/embassy abroad.  Perhaps someone can email the one in Phnom Penh or Saigon and ask.

Edited by shdmn

42 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I see. You were looking for the word "consecutive" and could not find it.

Tough luck. None of the other multiple-entry visas include that word either.

I'm comfortable with 'unlimited'

• Like 1

21 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

There are multiple reports of approvals coming in, just not from this forum.

Ones I have seen so far are for "workcation", remote work purposes. 

Will be interesting to see the "soft power" purposes approvals, where this visa is granted for a single doctors appointment or a cooking class! 

I think someone posted their DTV visa here, unless I saw that somewhere else.  Not 100% sure.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1