5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

2 hours ago, racket said:

In essence, it's a visa valid for 5 years, allowing stays of up to 6 months or 180 days at a time. After the initial 180 days, individuals typically do a border run to obtain another stamp, granting them an additional 180 days. Is that correct?

Can someone apply in Thailand or must it be done outside jurisdiction?

It must be applied from outside of Thsiland.

I think the expectation is that after a stay of up to 180 days people will leave and not return for a while (Or 180 + 180 if granted an extension) . If people start trying to live here permanently with it via border runs (some  likely will) there will be pushback. 

Full details have not yet been released. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, racket said:

it's a visa valid for 5 years, allowing stays of up to 6 months or 180 days at a time. After the initial 180 days, individuals typically do a border run to obtain another stamp, granting them an additional 180 days. Is that correct?

Nobody knows,  what is correct,  because the government didn't give detailed information. Maybe the government themselves are not yet sure. 

Many people,  e.g. @Maestro, see it your way.

Others, like myself or @HauptmannUK, find it hard to believe that all of a sudden billions of people would have the possiblity to reside in Thailand ( @humbug pointed out that such a visa would make all other visas pointless).

I find 2 arguments from this thread plausible: 

1. The details of the visa, who qualifies etc., will be so complicated that the visa will be useless

2. They might restrict the time one can spend in Thailand to 180 days per 1-year-period.

But this is all speculation. Nobody knows. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Taken literally, the DTV enables you to live here for 5 1/2 years,  with border runs every 180 days. 

But you must be a digital nomad. The government has already laid out in the LTR whom it considers a digital nomad: someone working remotely for a big corporation,  with an above-average salary. Not a backpacker with a laptop, not someone over 60. Not someone self-employed (= unemployed in Thai culture).

At this time, this would basically mean the Russian refugees. 

(If the European war expands further or if China  behaves even more aggressive towards Taiwan,  you could add Poles, Germans and Taiwanese.)

These people do have money that Thailand wants.  To give them some security would be a smart move. 

Edited by Lorry

I don't think there are many legit "digital nomads" in thailand. In the corporate world those are legit employees, typically with large corporations, that have allowed certain employees to work remotely. Not really self-employed people. I could see them wanting a verification letter from an employer for the visa.

17 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Taken literally, the DTV enables you to live here for 5 1/2 years,  with border runs every 180 days. 

But you must be a digital nomad.

I'm not sure either part of that is true. There are different ways to read this. Yours is one of several possible interpretations, but it doesn't make any sense to me that they would introduce a new visa that would allow you to stay for 5 and 1/2 years at such a price when, as others have said, that would make a whole slew of other visas more or less obsolete.

Also it's definitely not the case that you must be a digital nomad. The announcement is quite clear that this visa is for a range of people including (but not limited to) digital nomads.

For instance, it also specifically mentions it being for participants in activities such as Muay Thai, Thai cooking classes, sport training, medical treatment, seminars, musical festivals etc.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think the expectation is that after a stay of up to 180 days people will leave and not return for a while (Or 180 + 180 if granted an extension) . If people start trying to live here permanently with it via border runs (some  likely will) there will be pushback. 

Hopefully, people will be able to apply for it outside their home country, though it's not a requirement to do so from there. METV for instance requires you to apply it at an embassy in your home country but not for single entry visas.

When it comes to border runs; If it's a visa, they probably don't care as much. Besides, doing a border run every 6 months shouldn't seem suspicious, as the visa is designed for those who want to stay longer. But I understand your point.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I don't think there are many legit "digital nomads" in thailand. In the corporate world those are legit employees, typically with large corporations, that have allowed certain employees to work remotely. Not really self-employed people. I could see them wanting a verification letter from an employer for the visa.

When they introduced the LTR, the Thai government thought exactly like this. 

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

it also specifically mentions it being for participants in activities such as Muay Thai, Thai cooking classes, sport training, medical treatment, seminars, musical festivals etc.

Cooking classes fit 5 years?

Medical treatment for 5 years?

The thing that is drawing attention on this forum is the DTV for digital nomads, because lots of whoremongers people interested in Thai culture under 50y.o. could see this as their door into Thailand

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Lorry said:

No

I don't think elite was really either to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure the smart visa flopped, at least in terms of numbers. At least I don't know anyone on it.

It appears as if Thailand is trying to attract wealthier and "smarter" people with new visas, but that may not work well if the country is not otherwise desirable to those types of people.

Another way of putting it may be that those types of people have their choice of women in their home countries and don't needed affordability in a foreign country.

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

Cooking classes fit 5 years?

Medical treatment for 5 years?

The thing that is drawing attention on this forum is the DTV for digital nomads, because lots of whoremongers people interested in Thai culture under 50y.o. could see this as their door into Thailand

Well exactly - having a full, five year visa for taking cooking classes or medical treatment wouldn't make sense. Which is all the more reason to suppose that this visa is not intended to allow you to stay more or less continuously for five (or 5 1/2) years.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Holders cannot apply for a work permit but can earn untaxed foreign income while in Thailand.

So I can get one of these visas & remit all my rental, dividend, Capital gains income tax free? 

Be tempting to not renew my passport before my next extension so my Non-IMM O expire next July & get one of these instead so I can remit income tax free. 

Next year take another 6 months & extend then get the LTR in 2026 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

So I can get one of these visas & remit all my rental, dividend, Capital gains income tax free? 

Be tempting to not renew my passport before my next extension so my Non-IMM O expire next July & get one of these instead so I can remit income tax free. 

Next year take another 6 months & extend then get the LTR in 2026 

Apologies, I was out when I posted this but now I've had chance to read the full Siam Legal page they're not saying that foreign income is tax free under this visa, but more as you're staying under 180 days Foreign Income is tax free... 

Thailand has always been a haven for digital nomads, those who work exclusively online from anywhere in the world, and now Thailand is making it much easier to make the Kingdom a “workcation” destination. The recent announcement introduced the “Destination Thailand Visa” (DTV), which will be valid for 5 years and allow holders to stay in Thailand for a total of 180 days each year. These days need not be consecutive, and the 180-day limit means that holders will not have their foreign income taxed by Thailand.

https://siam-legal.com/travel-to-thailand/new-thai-visas-and-sweeping-changes-to-immigration-rules-announced/

NB: Their read is that it's a total of 180 days in one year. Do 90 days in country & leave for 3 days & you don't get another 180 days when you get back, you'll either get another 90 days or 87 days depending on whether they use what's remaining on the 180 days the visa allows OR the original permission to stay.   

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

and the 180-day limit means that holders will not have their foreign income taxed by Thailand.

... only if they stay less than 180 days a year.

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think that is an understatement.  I did 2 visa runs on a 6 month multi-entry and got pushback after only 4 months total in Thailand.  Wasn't even sure if they were going to let me back in the 2nd time.  So there will most definitely be pushback.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I don't think elite was really either to my knowledge.

Elite was too successful. Membership increased around fivefold over the past five years, hence the need to increase prices and reduce numbers. 

Interestingly one of main the target areas for the new packages they released last summer was tax advantages for digital nomads, just a few weeks before the tax changes were announced by the new government. 

Edited by lamyai3

14 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

wtf scam is this. My non o multiple are 5000 baht. This is a dream compared to what I’m doing now. So being married has zero advantage. Make it make sense 

No sweat, gives you a reason to get a divorce!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Their read is that it's a total of 180 days in one year. Do 90 days in country & leave for 3 days & you don't get another 180 days when you get back, you'll either get another 90 days or 87 days depending on whether they use what's remaining on the 180 days the visa allows OR the original permission to stay

Edited by Phillip9

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

No sweat, gives you a reason to get a divorce!

Yes. Idk why they hate married people so much. I had a conversation with an io once and he basically steered me into getting a retirement visa. I mean he was basically admitting that in my case where I’m located the marriage option is a huge pain in the neck because they do all the traditional stuff like come to the house etc

Folks if this  visa does not work out just wait for the next new visa they come out with in a few months....Or one of the next 4-5-6-7 new visas after that......

In the last few years they have been cranking out new visas one after another so fast the ink hardly drys on the last New Visa....

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 3:52 PM, Maestro said:

Five years is the period during which the DTV is valid for an unlimited number of entries into Thailand. Upon each entry, the traveller gets permission to stay for 180 days and has the option of applying at the local immigration office for a 180-day extension of stay. That's what it looks like based on the currently available information. 

Thanks Maestro

On 5/30/2024 at 7:41 AM, BusNo8 said:

Doubt

If all you are doing is sitting around Pattaya I doubt you'll be renewed. Definitely need to be paying for a school as well, online business, social media platforms.

Seems like what's being missed is the person needs to be actively engaged in something. A few questions suss that out quickly.

I will tick the 'Internet troll' box 😁😁

..but seriously...how do digital nomads prove what they are ?

35 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

One of these DTV candidate "freelancers" just sat near me at Nikom Court on soi bukhao Pattaya (25-30 American). He had a double camera on a stand taking video of everyone without permission and talked up his blog about his fantastic 140 baht spaghetti and 50 baht Leo... he sat next to the only single Thai girl in the place just so she could be on his permanently streaming blog camera...

Please don't issue DTV's to these losers that think they have a right to invade everybody's privacy and post it to the World 

Everyone and their dog is a "digital nomad" these days. All you need is a smart phone, a selfie stick and some free wifi.

Try it and you may become the next youtube millionaire, traveling the world and getting paid to do interesting interviews and on location vlogs. Just upload and watch the checks roll in!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Everyone and their dog is a "digital nomad" these days. All you need is a smart phone, a selfie stick and some free wifi.

Try it and you may become the next youtube millionaire, traveling the world and getting paid to do interesting interviews and on location vlogs. Just upload and watch the checks roll in!

Millionaires? He sat blogging for 2 hours and never bought anything other than his initial blogging tools of spaghetti and the one Leo beer.  He was bragging about how everything is so cheap but apparently couldn't afford a 2nd 50 baht Leo 😆 

Edited by Pattaya57