ATM/Debit card and electronic transfers not working

Anyone that gets their money deposited from abroad noticed that their ATM/Debit card and electronic transfers are not working with Bangkok Bank?

What is the solution to transfer your money other than going to the bank in person to do the transaction? I heard the Thai Gov has a new policy stopping all transfers if the money has come from outside the country.

• Confused 10

5 minutes ago, Barry13 said:

I already went today and that's what Bangkok Bank told me.

Are you saying that you personally cannot transfer funds using your mobile app or that the bank has a new policy of stopping all transfers from overseas?

46 minutes ago, Barry13 said:

Anyone that gets their money deposited from abroad noticed that their ATM/Debit card and electronic transfers are not working with Bangkok Bank?

What is the solution to transfer your money other than going to the bank in person to do the transaction? I heard the Thai Gov has a new policy stopping all transfers if the money has come from outside the country.

Where to, and how much  are you trying to transfer?  Online or the phone app?

My funds come from the UK and I can make transfers from my BBL account with no issues, I've just made four. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

My Bangkok Bank app stopped working last month, as the app now requires android 8 or higher. I had to get a new phone and go to the bank to reset it. But if your atm / debit card is not working, that's another issue. 

7 minutes ago, DavisH said:

My Bangkok Bank app stopped working last month, as the app now requires android 8 or higher. I had to get a new phone and go to the bank to reset it. But if your atm / debit card is not working, that's another issue. 

Less than Android 8 was back in the Stone age.

• Love It 1

Strangely enough there have been multiple accounts today of monies sent via Wise but not landing in Thai accounts

Wise made it clear they have been sent as well to everyone who wanted clarafication

Almost certainly a coincidence I acknowledge but nonetheless

Sterling as well which normally below £1000 equivalent lands instrantly

Posted (edited)

I transferred funds from the UK into a Bangkok Bank account today.  They were deposited in my Thai account 30 seconds later, as usual.

Edited by delboy
  • Like 2

To Mike Lister,

I tried to use my ATM Bangkok Bank card at 4 different BB machine locations including at the Bangkok Bank with a Bangkok Bank service person watching and witnessed that it would not work. I attempted to withdawal 5000 baht. I also tried to pay a phone bill using the mobile app and online, both would not work. No transfers would work. I receive a direct deposits from the USA Social Security.

To summerize: Bangkok Bank ATM machines, mobile app and online will not allow me to withdawal or transfer any amount. I can only view my account and balance using the app and online.

Note;   View gamb00ler's reply

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Barry13 said:

To Mike Lister,

I tried to use my ATM Bangkok Bank card at 4 different BB machine locations including at the Bangkok Bank with a Bangkok Bank service person watching and witnessed that it would not work. I attempted to withdawal 5000 baht. I also tried to pay a phone bill using the mobile app and online, both would not work. No transfers would work. I receive a direct deposits from the USA Social Security.

To summerize: Bangkok Bank ATM machines, mobile app and online will not allow me to withdawal or transfer any amount. I can only view my account and balance using the app and online.

probably silly question...have you verified that you actually have money in your account.

If yes did you try to withdraw money at the Bank thru a teller? (as you said you were physically at the Bank).

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Do you have the special type of account created by Bangkok bank to accept direct deposits of US Social Security?  Those accounts require you to go in person to withdraw the funds.

So what can I do to be able to use an ATM card and do transfers using Bangkok Bank?

Will I need to open another BB account and personally go to the bank each month and transfer from the account that gets the SS direct deposit and put it into the second account?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, thainet said:

probably silly question...have you verified that you actually have money in your account.

If yes did you try to withdraw money at the Bank thru a teller? (as you said you were physically at the Bank).

Yes there is money in the account.

5 hours ago, Barry13 said:

So what can I do to be able to use an ATM card and do transfers using Bangkok Bank?

Will I need to open another BB account and personally go to the bank each month and transfer from the account that gets the SS direct deposit and put it into the second account?

Yes.... that is what you would need to do if you want to continue having your SS automatically deposited into the current BBL account.  However, there is another method available to have SSA funds deposited into almost ANY Thai bank account that doesn't have the restrictions you're currently facing.  I believe the other method is referred to as IDD. @Pib seems to know this topic very well.  My SS goes to a USA based bank so I'm not well informed on details for direct deposit to Thai banks.

5 hours ago, Barry13 said:

To Mike Lister,

Ah, so you have a special account that is for US SSc deposit only, that makes a big difference to the picture!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Ah, so you have a special account that is for US SSc deposit only, that makes a big difference to the picture!

It's not a special account, it is just my only account.

Do you have any suggestions on a solution? Should I change the SS direct deposit to a US bank and then transfer it monthly to the Bangkok Bank location in New York City that will deposit it in my current BB account so it looks like a normal transfer without any SS connection labeled to it?

Or just open another BB account and transfer it into that second account to break the SS direct deposit connection?

3 minutes ago, Barry13 said:

Do you have any suggestions on a solution? Should I change the SS direct deposit to a US bank and then transfer it monthly to the Bangkok Bank location in New York City that will deposit it in my current BB account so it looks like a normal transfer without any SS connection labeled to it?

Or just open another BB account and transfer it into that second account to break the SS direct deposit connection?

I receive US SSc direct to Bangkok Bank and there are no restrictions for me and I make transfers every month. I have read that there are certain types of accounts at BB where US SSc payments can only be transacted over the counter but I can't remember why. It's an anti-fraud measure of some type. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, perhaps others can add some more words to what I tried to describe.

9 minutes ago, Barry13 said:

One suggestion I do have is to PM IanGuyGill who is connected to Bangkok Bank at a senior level and has been a good friend of the forum in the past. Ian has been instrumental in helping many many members resolve Bangkok Bank related account problems. @ianguygil

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Barry13 said:

To Mike Lister,

Frozen account for AMOL.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Barry13 said:

Yes there is money in the account.

Is your card damaged.....scratched? I withdrew money yesterday with a BBK card. What I used to have was the BBK ATM wouldn't work with a foreign card to withdraw money from my German account.

Edited by soalbundy

14 hours ago, Barry13 said:

To Mike Lister,

@Barry13

Two questions:  1) How long have you had this account?  2) Have you ever been able to use your debit card and/or mbanking/ibanking app to transfer money "out of" this acct?  

14 hours ago, Barry13 said:

To Mike Lister,

Hmmm....I just made a withdrawal from a BKK Bank ATM today.  No issues.  So what did the BKK Bank service person who was watching/witnessing say?  

• Agree 1

I don’t know what kind of account you have but in my case my SS gets deposited into my direct deposit account set up for that purpose. I have to go each month to withdraw from the direct deposit account and put the funds in another account. My direct deposit account cannot be accessed online and has no atm card. They want to see my face and passport every month. I assume it is an anti fraud procedure. 

• Thanks 2