Chaikasem May Become PM if Srettha Faces Impeachment

webfact

image.jpeg

In an intriguing development, political analyst Pichai Nutawong from NIDA suggests that Chaikasem Nitisiri, a less prominent Pheu Thai MP, could emerge as Thailand's next Prime Minister if current PM Srettha Thavisin is impeached or steps down.

The speculation comes amidst rising legal pressures and internal party controversies surrounding Srettha.

Srettha Thavisin, affiliated with the Pheu Thai party, faces possible impeachment by the Constitutional Court. This has led to discussions within the party about a potential replacement, with Chaikasem being a notable name. Chaikasem, a former justice minister, was one of the Pheu Thai's three prime ministerial candidates in last year’s election, alongside Thaksin Shinawatra's daughter Paetongtarn and Srettha himself.

The de facto leader of Pheu Thai, Thaksin Shinawatra, is reportedly inclined to keep his daughter Paetongtarn in a less prominent role until future elections, scheduled to take place in 2027. Hence, Chaikasem might be considered a temporary solution until Thaksin's daughter is ready to step into the leadership spotlight.

According to Pichai, the transition from Srettha to Chaikasem would not be straightforward. Current coalition partners, including Bhumjaithai leader Anutin Charnvirakul and Palang Pracharath leader Prawit Wongsuwan, are viewed as unlikely to secure sufficient MP support to seize the premiership if it becomes vacated. 

The pressure on Srettha is compounded by a brewing impeachment, driven by accusations from 40 senators loyal to Prawit. They claim Srettha violated both constitutional and ethical mandates by appointing Pichit Chuenban, a controversial figure with a history of contempt charges, to a ministerial post.

Meanwhile,

Thaksin faces his legal battles, with lese majeste charges scheduled to be heard on June 18. Although released on bail, his increased political activities have reportedly unsettled the conservative elite, who initially permitted his return under unspecified conditions.

As the legal clouds loom over both Thaksin and Srettha, the political landscape within Pheu Thai appears increasingly tumultuous. Chaikasem's emergence as a potential interim Prime Minister could signify a significant shift in Thai politics, orchestrated to navigate through these turbulent times.

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-31

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The de facto leader of Pheu Thai, Thaksin Shinawatra, is reportedly inclined to keep his daughter Paetongtarn in a less prominent role until future elections, scheduled to take place in 2027. Hence, Chaikasem might be considered a temporary solution until Thaksin's daughter is ready to step into the leadership spotlight.

The populous might have something to do with that at the ballot box.... unless the election outcome is rigged again.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I agree with the ballot box. Won't matter who PTP run they are fkd. The traitorous Thaksin will be punished.

One hopes so, that the populous vote overwhelmingly this time so that it's impossible to ignore their wishes as to who and what party lead the country.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just arrange new elections and let the Thai people vote for the PM they want.

Now that would be a move forward.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It is was it says it is. SPECULATION. There's someone else in the running that is far more likely.

p.s. Who hates the auto playing video adverts?

is that some sort of code,

spill the beans

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

It is was it says it is. SPECULATION. There's someone else in the running that is far more likely.

p.s. Who hates the auto playing video adverts?

I hate them. They are increasing in frequency, and are an unpleasant disruption.

• Like 2

An unelected PM. 

How on-brand for Thailand.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaksin Shinawatra, is reportedly inclined to keep his daughter Paetongtarn in a less prominent role until future elections

With the Thai economy teetering I doubt anyone wants to be left holding a giant bag of poo.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Correction:

'Just RIG new elections and let the NEW Senate vote for the PM they want.'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Correction:

'Just RIG new elections and let the NEW Senate vote for the PM they want.'

I believe the new senate will not have the power to elect a new PM.

50 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that you typed an f instead of a t. :whistling:

Nah, just being subtle:

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

signify a significant shift in Thai politics

Thai politics, it's a shifty business 

shift·y
/ˈSHiftē/
adjective

INFORMAL
(of a person or their manner) appearing deceitful or evasive.
"a shifty, fast-talking lawyer"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I hate them. They are increasing in frequency, and are an unpleasant disruption.

Just keep your add blocker on then just 1 click and your in .  ✌️

PTP is "reforming" just about everything: income tax, telecommunications, electricity, cannibas, immigration, education (another round of digital "investement"), and now VAT. About the only thing they're leaving alone is the air pollution. So everybody who wanted change at the last election should be happy, happy, happy.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure they will, right after they dissolve and outlaw the MFP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

I am sure they will, right after they dissolve and outlaw the MFP. 

Unfortunately that may well be the case.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Love the humour. The outcome vis a vis who will win is already known. The outcome after the election isn't and that's if we get to the next election before the tanks are back on the streets.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

In an intriguing development........

.........political analyst Pichai Nutawong from NIDA suggests that Chaikasem Nitisiri, a less prominent Pheu Thai MP, could emerge as Thailand's next puppet if current PM Srettha Thavisin is impeached or steps down.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

.........political analyst Pichai Nutawong from NIDA suggests that Chaikasem Nitisiri, a less prominent Pheu Thai MP, could emerge as Thailand's next puppet if current PM Srettha Thavisin is impeached or steps down.

The word "speculation' along with "could" was very prominent when I first read this and very apt. Who knows if the puppeteer arranged this bit of news for a bit of deflection. Wouldn't surprise me if he did. His slimy tentacles range very wide. My apologies to all octopodes/octopuses/octopi. 

p.s. octopi is the least correct.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Haha 1